Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oblivious

How much basal/bolus do you need?

oblivious

I am trying to figure out my range, and when I first started with basal not long ago, 14 units seemed fine.

With exams and less activity, I increased it to 16u and 3u bolus with meals.

My bumbers are still running to high, so I wonder if I am taking to little, or if my insulin resistance is pretty high.

I have read that insulin needs with adults is up to 0.5u per lbs, so that equates to 82,5u at the high end for me.

These are very relative and general numbers, plus I have some insulin production left so I think the need is a lot lower for me.

But if I am now taking 22u and the general range is between 41u to 82u, should I increase more or is my resistance (to the force) just to strong and it wont do much good?

I do understand how diet and exercise will affect this aswell, so that is not for discussion at this time.

Please keep it to the basal/bolus range please :)

oblivious

Just used this site to calculate general needs based on my wheight.

http://dtc.ucsf.edu/types-of-diabetes/type2/treatment-of-type-2-diabetes/medications-and-therapies/type-2-insulin-rx/calculating-insulin-dose/

Total daily insulin needs : 41u

Basal needs :  16-17u

Bolus needs :  1u for 15gr carbs

High BG correction : 1u for every 3mmol/l (45mg/dl) above pre meal target (5 mmol/l or 90mg/dl).

Since I have some production left I will try to stay below these numbers and use them as guidelines.

Unless someone here has the experience to better these numbers :)

Joisey

What I do, is use the morning FBG # to determine how my basal is doing, and before and after lunch and dinner numbers to determine bolus. i started with a basal of 25 and pre-meal boluses of 10. I have gradually shifted to a basal of 40 and a bolus of 5 units.

mom24grlz

this of course will be different for everyone. And even sickness, weather, the time of the month (for women) can affect how much insulin is needed.  Right now Ashleigh gets 39 units lantus split (20 in the AM and 19 in the PM). We use an insulin to carb ratio for meals. So it depends on how much she eats, as to the insulin amount. But her breakfast ratio bounces between 1:6 and 1:7. Lunch is 1:5 and supper is 1:7

ETA Ashleigh's corrections is as followed : 12am-5am  BG-100/25=correction amount.  6AM-11pm  BG-100/30= correction amount

Bar&In

Pick a meal each day and fast for it, get your basal on point before bolus.

I read 50/50 split but I'm 35/65 and feel better with this since I'm on the move a lot.

Winter time though so had to up basal a little.

Hammer

I use Lantus, and I see that you are using Toujeo.  Lantus is U100 and Toujeo is U300.  That means that in Lantus, there are 100 units of insulin in one milliliter, whereas Toujeo has 300 units of insulin in one milliliter, so Toujeo is three times stronger than Lantus.  I take 82 units of Lantus every night at 11 pm, and that can change from day to day.  Last night I took  82 units, but the night before I took 81 units.  When I first started on Lantus, I was taking 156 units every night, but losing weight caused that dosage to drop.  At one point it dropped to 52 units a night, so in my case, that dosage is constantly changing.  If I wake up several days in a row, and my wake up BG levels have increased into the 90's, I'll add another unit of Lantus to my dose to get that morning BG level back down into the upper 60's to the mid 70's, which is where I want it to be.  If I was using Touleo, I couldn't do that because there is no way to take one unit of insulin like I do now.  If I took one unit of Toujeo, that would equal three units of Lantus, and that would be too much.

As for my bolus insulin, Novolog, the dose that I take of that before a meal depends on what my before meal reading is, and how many carbs are in the food that I'm going to eat.  My insulin to carb ratio is about 1:2.....one unit of Novolog for every two carbs.  The thing is, it's not always 1:2, it varies, so I'll usually take a little less Novolog, then see what my two hour after meal BG level is, and if it's a bit high, I'll take a corrective shot.

By using my methods, I am able at achieve an A1C of 5.4.

oblivious

If I took one unit of Toujeo, that would equal three units of Lantus, and that would be too much.

Actually, Lantus 1u = 1u Toujeo.

It is three times stronger, but it only means that you use three times less liquid to get 1u strength.

International Unit is a measurement to see how much insulin you need to to lower BG by X value.

So 1u has the same strength (in theory) in every type of insulin.

But they say you might need 20% more Toujeo when you go from Lantus.

So the potency is a little bit weaker per unit, but since it has a longer working period it stacks up, and it takes 3 days to get to working state.

"No conversion needed

One unit of Toujeo® has the same amount of insulin as one unit of Lantus® (insulin glargine injection) 100 Units/mL."

https://www.toujeo.com/about-toujeo

Hammer

Yes, thanks for the link.  After I made the above post, I read your post in the other thread and checked out the link.  I attached the comparison picture from that link to that other thread, and I'll post it here as well so that people can see the difference.

post-8201-0-50285100-1450309330_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.