Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predb4

metformin and sweating

predb4

i have frequent sweating since i started taking metformin, and was wondering if that is a side effect.

in the past, when i took the supplement rhodiola, i used to sweat.

this could be a coincidence, since i am in perimenopause. but this weating is different because there is no odor as when the sweat is related to hormones.

i do not wish to stop metformin and have to find a way to minimize this,

jwags

I still get what I call heat flashes. They are a little different than the hot flashes Ingot during menopause. It usually precedes a liver dump and bg spike. I have tried to explain it to my doctors and they give me this wierd look. I think it may be connected to adrenal dysfunction but I can't convince my doctors to test them.

predb4

I still get what I call heat flashes. They are a little different than the hot flashes Ingot during menopause. It usually precedes a liver dump and bg spike. I have tried to explain it to my doctors and they give me this wierd look. I think it may be connected to adrenal dysfunction but I can't convince my doctors to test them.

thanks evryone and jwags.

i think suspect the sweat comes when my bg is coming down, 

but it might be worth it to test at 30 min and 60 min after a flash to see if it bg related.

jwags

I get that warm feeling,,then Imget a cold, shakey almost low feeling. When I a test I am usually high.mImthink it is surges of hormones or cortisol.

JanetP

I have noticed that I tend to "hot flash" more when my blood sugar spikes.

But I have never noticed a difference in odor based on what causes the sweating on me or on other people.   Interesting.  I always thought that body odor was related to skin flora.

xpDiabetes

I did not experience any sweating with metformin. But I do sweat on both high sugar and low sugar. I can almost always guess when my BG is high.  For me it causes general anxiety for no reason. 

ronmesnard

I get that warm feeling,,then Imget a cold, shakey almost low feeling. When I a test I am usually high.mImthink it is surges of hormones or cortisol.

Keep that thought!  When I asked my endo why she thought BP meds at night reduce diabetic progression in pre-Ds she mentioned a part of the cortisol cycle happens at night.  One type of insulin resistance is part of the stress system.  Only the wisest of Drs doesn't disregard what a patient tells them if it makes no sense to them.  They don't understand my favorite Chinese proverb.  "Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from wise men."  A wise person can see past that the person is talking pure nonsense and realize this is the smoke and it is their job to find the fire.  The patient has concerns which are more than likely important.  What they need to do is find out what you experienced and how you came up with your theory.  Since you don't have a wise Dr and most are not wise or humble you need to clean up your story.  If it makes enough sense they will take an interest.  

Janet are these spikes due to eating or a liver dump?  If it was a liver dump that would be telling.

ronmesnard

I did some digging for you.  There is even a home cortisol test kit in the second link. You might want to sample a little after a flash.  I don't have any idea how fast cortisol gets into your saliva from your blood.  I would ask the company that sells the test.  

Cortisol is an stress IR hormone.  The second explains why it is needed during a fight or flight situation.  It pumps up your BGs so you have enough reserves for either fight or flight. 

Cortisol-induced insulin resistance in man: impaired suppression of glucose production and stimulation of glucose utilization due to a postreceptor detect of insulin action.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7033265

Cortisol — Its Role in Stress, Inflammation, and Indications for Diet Therapy

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/111609p38.shtml

JanetP

Ron, I am not sure about the spikes.  I think a little of both. I tend to forget to eat if I am very involved in something and have been known to spike if I go too long and sometimes if I eat something I am not familiar with or am testing a new food I will spike as well.

jwags

I would love to wear a CMGS so I could track these hot flashes and bg spikes. I also take my BP meds at night because they do drop my BP under 90/60. So if I a take them during the day I am way too dizzy. I do think cortisol and stress hormones may play some role. All I get from my doctor is do yoga.

moneymeister
predb4, I am having great luck with black cohash. The miserable drenching night sweats are gone and I am having almost no issues now. It's been a week on 40mg a day. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.