Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oblivious

Eating for lower FBG

oblivious

What is your eating routine to keep FBG low?

I am just getting a handle on controling BG with insulin treatement during the day, but it seems my FBG keeps mystifying me.

Seems like this:

Go to bed low - wake up high

Go to bed medium - wake up medium

Go to bed high - wake up medium to low

And this sometimes varies, but looks like it is a general rule.

So, do you have a last time of the day to eat? Do you eat low GI carbs for supper?

What's the deal?

Seagal

We don't eat later than 5PM

Don't pay attention to GI

Very low carb

Seems to work for me, but you will get a lot of different answers and have to keep working on what will work for you.  Took me a long time before I figured out that late night eating caused higher morning numbers.

You will figure it out too :)

dowling gram

I'm not on insulin but I can tell you if you go to bed low and wake up high you've had a liver dump. With the others you probably had enough glucose in your system that the liver didn't need to dump glucose.

Many here eat a small protein snack before bed to prevent the liver from dumping.

There may be something that can be done with insulin to prevent liver dumps but since it is not my area you'll have to wait until someone who takes insulin comes along.

Kit

We don't eat later than 5PM

Don't pay attention to GI

Very low carb

So what do you do if you don't get off work til 5:30-6pm?

Seagal

So what do you do if you don't get off work til 5:30-6pm?

Then one has to figure out another way. Like I said, it took a long time (10 years) to get it down.  The point I was trying to make, is that we all have to keep testing and trying what will work for our situation.  There are folks that work swing shift or night shift and I imagine it is really tricky for them.

Also, I am not on insulin, so whatever I might find working for me, would/could be very different for Oblivious.

I might add that just because I don't pay attention to the G.I., doesn't mean it isn't helpful for some.

jwags

We are the opposite of Seagal. We eat at .7:30-8 pm most nights. If I ate at 5 my bgs would go up overnight. I think we each have to experiment with a lot of things. For me the timing of metformin defines my morning bg.

oblivious

I think I will try to have my last meal at around 8 pm, or I might have to skip breakfast and start eating at lunch.
Sometimes I have to work out pretty late, and I need something to eat after that.

I also quit taking metformin and increased insulin, wich seems to work alright when I am low/medium GI/carb.

My body really seems to hate me when I eat bad  :P

I have done some spreadsheet logging to see how everything evolves and made a calculator that seems to work pretty good.

If meal timing does not work out, I might introduce metformin again to see if that helps.

Not really keen on taking several meds though, but if I must I must.

Snow Goose

Still working on my diet since I am newly diagnosed T2.

BG was 78 before dinner. Ate a half of a chicken breast, peas and wait for it----a baked potato (thought I would treat myself with one since my bg was good)

tested 1.5 hrs. later 109 and then 3 hrs. later 130 - I was ok with that :)

I usually eat at 6:30

Uff Da

I'm on insulin, so I use it to control my numbers. I'm also retired, so I can eat and sleep at whatever hours I happen to choose. So a poor working cuss would have to adjust my routine for what would fit his/her schedule.

My BG tests have shown that my DP starts around 4:00 or 4:30 AM.  They happen whether I sleep in or if I get up and just dink around without eating.  The liver apparently dumps enough glucose for my blood glucose to rise around 40-45 points by 10:00. For me eating a snack at bedtime (which I usually do) does not stop the DP.  I can cut it in about half, though, if when I'm up in the night for a bladder call  anyway (say midnight to 2:00) I eat an ounce or two of cheese. In that case, my BG rises enough to cover my snack, since I don't bolus, but not much more than that, even if I end up sleeping later.

I adjust my Lantus dose to keep my BG level between the time my dinner bolus and evening food absorption has run out and 4 AM. That way I don't risk going low in the night, which I'm deathly afraid of since the relative of a good friend of mine went low in the night and went into a coma from which she never recovered.  I aim for a level between 90 and 100 between about midnight and 4 AM, feeling that that allows enough of a cushion against bad calculations.

I usually eat dinner at 5 PM, but bolus enough before dinner to allow for a bedtime snack before the insulin action is over. Occasionally I go low before I get that snack, but when I do treat the low, I again calculate the carbs I eat to land me between 90-100 for the bulk of the night. If I eat a high GI dinner, on Apidra I can get a reasonable idea of where my BG will land and how many carbs I need for the night by doing my bedtime test three or more hours after dinner bolus. With Humalog I had to wait 4 hours and with Novolog 5 hours. Individuals vary on duration of action of the various insulin brands, though, so you'll have to test that out for yourself. But if I eat a low GI dinner, I just base my calculations on experience as to how many more points my BG will likely rise from food yet to be absorbed for that particular food. It is a guess, of course, but with experience one gets better.

Sometimes I get up and have breakfast at 4 AM.  That allows the best BG, as DP hasn't started yet and my breakfast insulin ratio is 1:4, whereas the rest of the day is 1:8. So whether one says that my breakfast ratio allows for a liver dump or that I'm more insulin resistant at that time of day, it really doesn't matter.  Extra insulin takes care of the problem.  And if I sleep in and have a BG that's higher, say 120 or 140, I don't worry about it. I just correct for it along with my breakfast bolus. It may look bad reporting on the morning BS thread, but I know that I kept my BG in a good range up until about 4 AM and did so safely.  My last A1c of 5.5 says I'm doing something reasonably well. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.