Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dowling gram

eating with company

dowling gram

Keeping low carb is easier when you are the cook. My son and family are here until after Christmas. They prefer to come a week early and leave right after Christmas. Since his wife's family live a few streets over they take turns for dinner. They will spend New Years eve with friends. Anyway I pondered what to serve for meals and still keep my low carb lifestyle. Breakfast and lunch are fairly easy. It's the main meal that presents some problems and here's how I solved them.

The desserts were all made ahead and frozen including some diabetic ones for me. I made a Lasagne and a bariatric pizza that I also froze.

They came on Saturday and I made a big pot of chilli. Before I added the beans I put some in a small pot for me. To which I added mushrooms and more cut up peppers. It was served with a cucumber and tomato salad with a vinegarette dressing.

Tonight I'm having the Lasagne with ceasar salad and garlic bread. I'm having my pizza and salad. I'll put out a few more pieces of pizza in case anyone cares to try it.

Wednesday I'm having Pork chops baked with scalloped potatoes and a medley of roasted vegetables. I will have a chop and vegetables

Christmas it's turkey with all the trimmings and I'll pick and choose what I eat. I'm sure to sample a bit of cranberries and a spoon of dressing but I'll keep both small.

All in all I think I'll get through the holidays just fine. I've found the secret is careful planning of not only what you are going to serve guests but also what I'm going to eat so I'm not tempted to eat the carby stuff

Seagal

DG, you certainly have a plan!  That is a lot of cooking and it sure takes planning when you have a houseful of family.  The meals sound wonderful for all and you make it sound effortless. (We all know it is not) :)

predb4

one strategy is to pair things with rice and pasta side dishes that you can skip. and make plenty salads.

or stews, you can skip potatoes and other carbs in the dish.

thanks for sharing your plans, these are good examples.

Kit

I grew up eating and cooking the kind of meals where things were separate.  Meat was cooked separate from the starch which was cooked separate from the vegetables, etc.  So for me, cooking for others and still accommodating myself is pretty easy.  I just eat everything but the starch side and avoid added carbs in the meat or vegetables (beyond what the vegetables are normally).  :)

JanetP

We are having Christmas dinner at my house.  Marty (MCS) has posted some excellent recipes on his site and I am making them.  HIs crock pot chuck roast  and cranberry cheesecake.  And something green.  If I have time I may make one of the LC cookie recipes that have been floating around.  The rest of the family knows my limitations and knows they can bring whatever they want but will not be offended if I don't eat it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.