Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leosmith

How much "added fat" do you eat in your LCHF diet?

leosmith

I'm following a LCHF diet, although I'm not nearly as LC as others (about 110g/day). Because I've put other restrictions on my diet (mainly 140g protein, 25g saturated fat, no processed/pre-fabricated food) I find it hard to get enough calories (2200) without adding fat. By adding fat, I mean pouring 4-7 tablespoons of olive or avocado oil over my meals. Actually, I find this to be delicious, but I'm wondering if there will be any bad effects. So I'm interested in knowing - how much "added fat" do you eat in your LCHF diet?

Fishallot

I'm eating about 3000 calories a day to maintain my weight, already lost 126 lbs. I'm at 40-45 total carbs per day and trying to limit my protein as much as I can to stay in ketosis. The only thing left is fat. I'm averaging 255 - 270 grams per day. Your going to have trouble trying to add more fat without going up on your saturated fat. I'm averaging around 115 saturated fat per day.

dowling gram

I never really counted how much extra fat I consume. I think if you are adding good fats like olive and avocado oils you don't need to worry about any bad effects.

When you cut carbs the body needs an alternate source of energy and the body turns to using fat as an energy source. When I went low carb I added things like nuts, greek yogurt, full fat cream and flax meal. Nuts and flax meal are high in calories and help my maintain my weight. Flax has almost 0 net carbs and while nuts do contain some carbs eaten in moderation are a good addition to a diabetic diet. But that's me--if you prefer your oils then go for it

jims_forum

Good grief; I wish I could eat 3,000 calories. No dam way!

I'm eating about 3000 calories a day to maintain my weight, already lost 126 lbs. I'm at 40-45 total carbs per day and trying to limit my protein as much as I can to stay in ketosis. The only thing left is fat. I'm averaging 255 - 270 grams per day. Your going to have trouble trying to add more fat without going up on your saturated fat. I'm averaging around 115 saturated fat per day.

leosmith

I added things like nuts, greek yogurt, full fat cream and flax meal. Nuts and flax meal are high in calories and help my maintain my weight. Flax has almost 0 net carbs and while nuts do contain some carbs eaten in moderation are a good addition to a diabetic diet. But that's me--if you prefer your oils then go for it

Although I like oils, I wouldn't eat as much of them if I could find some more natural foods high in unsaturated fat and low in carbs. Unfortunately greek yogurt and cream are high in saturated fat. Flax is a possibility; I'll probably eat it once a week for the omega 3, but I'm afraid to eat it more often than that due to some negative press I've read. How much nuts do you eat per week? I don't really like the high omega 6 content, but macadamia nuts are a godsend. I eat 20-30g per day, and am considering increasing.

leosmith

I'm averaging around 115 saturated fat per day.

I wish I could do that. I was averaging in the 60's and I noticed I had really high cholesterol. So to prove it was due to saturated fat, I increased it to about 80 for a month and my cholesterol rose by about 100 points. About 1 out of 4 peoples' cholesterol is sensitive to saturated fat, and unfortunately mine is one of them.

Orlando

I add 70 grams of high quality olive oil to my food each day to get a total of ca 150 grams fats/day. I need to be extraordinarily careful with carbohydrates and proteins.

TX_Clint

Hey Leo, just try eating LCHF and those issues like cholesterol will be easier to manage. Your diet may be reduced carb but LCHF it ain't. Best of luck.

Bishop

Instead of a cookie,I reach for a spoonful of mayonnaise or margarine, or both.

I'm not sure what margarine is or what's in it, but now that I'm paying attention, I have seen folks take a bite out of a full stick of butter as if it were a chocolate bar.  The odd thing is that they tend to do it really quickly, as if they don't want anyone to notice.  My burning question at the time is - how do they keep that stick of butter on them?  I thought butter was mush at room temperature.

janice21475

Bishop, That is something I have never seen. Not certain I would want to see it, either. It is within the LC/HF guideline, however. I imagine there are many other food choices that can astound. :D

Bishop

Bishop, That is something I have never seen. Not certain I would want to see it, either. It is within the LC/HF guideline, however. I imagine there are many other food choices that can astound. :D

LOL, indeed.  The only thing I've even *heard* of (never seen) which is more strange was folks using vials of pure olive oil for endurance events.  Not the wimpy 26.x mile marathons or anything like that, but the ultras on up, which would be 24-72 hours or longer.  Not sure if that's myth or just crazy folk, but would love to volunteer again at such events and see what the current fads, nutrition, etc. is.   I think we've moved past the 80s and 90s with folks squeezing the equivalent of cake frosting sugar into their mouths every hour or so, then suffering from diarrhea, vomiting, cramps, and so on.  

I think "fat adapted" is one of the big trends, esp. since the military is formally looking into this with a keen interest and funding.  I love the idea on paper and conceptually, but have never experienced it at anywhere near this level personally.

I've still got to try me some of that "bulletproof coffee" (sp?) I keep reading about.  Something about throwing butter into hot coffee and it tasting really good. 

comedy

I wish I could do that. I was averaging in the 60's and I noticed I had really high cholesterol. So to prove it was due to saturated fat, I increased it to about 80 for a month and my cholesterol rose by about 100 points. About 1 out of 4 peoples' cholesterol is sensitive to saturated fat, and unfortunately mine is one of them.

My total cholesterol is only a little lower than it was before I started serious LCHF four years ago, but my triglycerides are MUCH lower, and my HDL is MUCH higher. My doctor is happy because the HDL/Total cholesterol is good, but I'm even happier because the Trig/HDL is absolutely brilliant.

One reason why I believe total cholesterol is irrelevant is that having a really high HDL increases the total number, thus making it almost impossible to get it down to a number 'they' say is good.

Changing lipid numbers for the better is a long term project, not something that you can rely on in the short term. I get mine done every six months, and even that is considered too often by the health authorities here, and my doctor has to justify doing it that often. Recommended frequency is 12 months.

And total cholesterol will always rise at the beginning of a well controlled LCHF diet because of the slow change from small, dense LDL particles (bad) to large, fluffy ones (good). This causes calculated LDL to rise in the (relatively) short term, but it comes down as the large fluffy particles become the majority.

Fishallot

Good grief; I wish I could eat 3,000 calories. No dam way!

Don't want to hijack the thread so i'll be brief. I lost 126 lbs (300 to 174) eating 2000 calories a day. Got to the point that I look too skinny so i'm trying to add about 10 lbs of muscle mass. I weigh every bite of food that goes into my body and track it using MFP. I have MFP set to gain .5 lbs per week and it's telling me to eat 2980 cal per day. I hit this goal most days but my exercise, weight lifting and power walking, brings me back below that number. I've been the same weight for the past 8 months doing this.

Leosmith....Ever since I went Keto my lipid numbers have steadily improved. I'm also having full bloodwork done every 6 months.

leosmith

I understand that some people are unhappy with me saying 110g of carbs is "low carb". Sorry about that. I don't need to go into ketosis for diabetes purposes, and I'm not going to go into it temporarily in an effort to "fix" my cholesterol. I've proven that I'm sensitive to saturated fat, as 1 out of 4 people are, and I'm adjusting the diet that I plan to eat for the rest of my life to take this into account.

The topic of this thread is "how much added fat do you eat in your LCHF diet". I add 4-7 tablespoons, or 54-95g/day.

Fraser

To how much added fat, for me I can tell when I am hungry I eat an avacado, and I admit a mayonase junky, sure helps the craving.

I am a between a carb type not the ultra low no way high. Just work on what is best for me finding a balance,

On the lighter side,

I need to add my most favorite ingrediates: garlic, onions and horseradish. I have no idea how many grams I consume of those.

Old family recipe, one piece of chicken one clove of garlic.

Kit

If you're not low carb, and have no need or desire to be low carb, then why even consider going high fat?

leosmith

If you're not low carb, and have no need or desire to be low carb, then why even consider going high fat?

How much added fat do you eat in your LCHF diet?

Kit

Added is difficult to say exactly.  I don't really differentiate between fat in an egg or fat in the butter I cook the egg in.  In total I hit somewhere between 100 and 120g a day.

My carb total can vary, but usually averages under 40g a day.

Bishop

My total cholesterol is only a little lower than it was before I started serious LCHF four years ago, but my triglycerides are MUCH lower, and my HDL is MUCH higher. My doctor is happy because the HDL/Total cholesterol is good, but I'm even happier because the Trig/HDL is absolutely brilliant.

One reason why I believe total cholesterol is irrelevant is that having a really high HDL increases the total number, thus making it almost impossible to get it down to a number 'they' say is good.

Changing lipid numbers for the better is a long term project, not something that you can rely on in the short term. I get mine done every six months, and even that is considered too often by the health authorities here, and my doctor has to justify doing it that often. Recommended frequency is 12 months.

And total cholesterol will always rise at the beginning of a well controlled LCHF diet because of the slow change from small, dense LDL particles (bad) to large, fluffy ones (good). This causes calculated LDL to rise in the (relatively) short term, but it comes down as the large fluffy particles become the majority.

To answer the OP's question as to how much - at least for me personally - I just keep on adding until my trig/hdl ratio says to stop.  Similar to Ann's post above, I look at that ratio the most closely.  It's the one both of my doctors talk about all the time (in addition to my over-100-HDL goal) and there are a number of other doctors like http://www.drsinatra.com/the-most-important-cholesterol-ratio-to-watch/ who say the same thing.

My ratio has been below 2.0 since DX but I'd like to shoot for even lower - below 1.0 is what she'd consider quite good, though she's skeptical about how much I can raise my HDL vs. lower my trigs.  One has been much easier to do than the other, for me.

mbc1963

I don't really measure anything - not grams or calories - except to avoid carbs. I try to keep my carbs pretty low, and probably average between 30 and 50 per day (some days less, some days maybe more).

I just eat until I'm not hungry, and often add something fatty if I need to. Right now I have full-fat cottage cheese in my fridge, plus some "bark" I made with dark chocolate, chopped pecans, and coconut butter. I eat some of those once in a while if I need some more calories. I always have nuts around so I can nibble a handful.

Without counting calories or grams of fat, my body has dropped 45 pounds and stabilized at my HS weight. I am fascinated by this apparent "normal size" my body holds with a diet that varies widely from day to day in calorie intake. My cholesterol numbers and ratio last check were all good and healthy... though at the first check after going LCHF, they were a bit high. (I told my doctor that people said this might happen while losing weight, and that I didn't want to worry about it at that point. She was fine with that.)

Bishop

I don't really measure anything - not grams or calories - except to avoid carbs. I try to keep my carbs pretty low, and probably average between 30 and 50 per day (some days less, some days maybe more).

I just eat until I'm not hungry, and often add something fatty if I need to. Right now I have full-fat cottage cheese in my fridge, plus some "bark" I made with dark chocolate, chopped pecans, and coconut butter. I eat some of those once in a while if I need some more calories. I always have nuts around so I can nibble a handful.

Without counting calories or grams of fat, my body has dropped 45 pounds and stabilized at my HS weight. I am fascinated by this apparent "normal size" my body holds with a diet that varies widely from day to day in calorie intake. My cholesterol numbers and ratio last check were all good and healthy... though at the first check after going LCHF, they were a bit high. (I told my doctor that people said this might happen while losing weight, and that I didn't want to worry about it at that point. She was fine with that.)

Sorry about my use of the "measure" semantics here.  I don't think anyone measures calories and very few actually measure macronutrients with something like a scale.  This OP was fundamentally tied to measuring something, and if you're actually looking at your blood works, BG meter, etc. - you're squarely in the measure camp to me.  (Keeping in mind that there are MANY folks who don't do any of this.  At all.)

I personally like the idea of eating when hungry and not eating when not hungry, but find that I violate that more often than I should.  I don't lose any sleep over that however.

Your bark recipe sounds a lot like the pecans/coconut/chocolate fat bomb someone posted here and I eat all the time.  Even family members have come to enjoy it.  Same thing with taking my favorite knife and cutting slices of very hard, raw milk cheese at odd hours.  Good stuff!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.