Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orlando

How low do you need to go with proteins to maintain good BG control?

Orlando

To get things started I am presently eating 60 grams proteins/ day. I know plenty of people here can handle far more, but I guess that there are others that go even lower

than I. [ Current weight 64.5 Kg, height ca 1.75 meters= 142 lbs and 5ft-9 inches and shrinking. 

.According to Dr Ron Rosedale its possible to go down to 40 or less grams/day to get good control. Looking forward to hearing of others experiences.

jwags

I eat somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 grams of protein. I am 5' 3" and 115 pounds. If I go too low on protein, I tend to lose muscle mass. Your body will also canabalize your organs if you eat too low on the protein.

Bishop

As I figure out my current protein threshold, I did go by the 0.7 - 1.0 grams per pound of lean mass, and for my lean mass, instead of using a scale and a generic BMI table, I did a quick DXA scan.  It's still just a guideline, but feel it's a wee bit more accurate than using raw body weight x some number given that we're all different on the % body fat side of things.

That said, I do think using a generic table and a raw % body fat guess to calculate lean mass and protein per day would be on the conservative side.

Anyhow....  Love that folks are actually measuring and measuring.  =)

xpDiabetes

Are there any upper and lower limits on Protein as well ? For example, I eat good quantity of beans for lunch. I think they will be about 200 grams atleast.  Is that more ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.