Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sillygirl

Strawberries!?!?!?!?!?!

sillygirl

I am a newly diagnosed type 2. I have been staying under or right at 15 carbs per day.  Included in those carbs have been 4 strawberries each day. I use them to make strawberry whipped cream which i eat for lunch. i need to eat a ton of fats which i simply cant eat just adding fatty meats and using oils to cook with. (the equivalent of 1 stick of butter and 1 cup of fluid hwc!!!!)

My question is will those strawberries kick me out of ketosis?

Kit

I wouldn't think so as long as you are staying under your carb limit.

Creative idea.  Sounds like a nice summer dessert as well.  I assume the strawberries are blended before whipped into the cream?

sillygirl

I wouldn't think so as long as you are staying under your carb limit.

Creative idea.  Sounds like a nice summer dessert as well.  I assume the strawberries are blended before whipped into the cream?

I use frozen strawberries which i nuke for 35seconds.  After whipping the cream i blend in the strawberries. this makes it tolerably sweet since fake sugar and i dont agree.

Bishop

I am a newly diagnosed type 2. I have been staying under or right at 15 carbs per day.  Included in those carbs have been 4 strawberries each day. I use them to make strawberry whipped cream which i eat for lunch. i need to eat a ton of fats which i simply cant eat just adding fatty meats and using oils to cook with. (the equivalent of 1 stick of butter and 1 cup of fluid hwc!!!!)

My question is will those strawberries kick me out of ketosis?

If you're talking about nutritional ketosis, I think the best way to find out for yourself, at this point in time (you will change over time) is to measure, eat, then measure.  With a ketone meter.  I've found that I've been eating way too much protein during certain days (when I'm inactive, relatively speaking) and that had knocked me out of the nutritional ketosis range pretty clearly.

Of course, being in or out of nutritional ketosis isn't the end all be all silver bullet, but it sure seems to help quite a number of folks, and I'm adding NK to my toolbox, though definitely not always using it.  Not yet anyway.

Bishop

Oh, and just to be clear, I'm certainly no nutritional ketosis expert.  I've just been learning more about it recently and experimenting, though was probably in NK during the valleys in the attached graph given what I was eating around those times (looking at my food log), though I didn't have a meter during those times, many of the NK signs were there.

There are a number in this forum who have helped me understand NK, and a ton of material on this online and via various publications.  I also picked up a ketone meter vs. the urine strips, which seem to be fundamentally unreliable.

I've also been fascinated with NK and being fat adapted well beyond and outside of the diabetes world - in athletic competition (which I no longer do), military, and historic contexts (how did others for centuries perform endurance tasks without a constant stream of sugar and no muscle loss).

post-58054-0-91570400-1451504041_thumb.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.