Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2016 Bicycling - A New Hope

Ronin

Everyone:

And so, it begins... Time to reset the odometers, set new goals and start another year of bicycling for both fun and keeping the "Big-D" in check or under control.

cplca

A new year and a new goal ! :thrasher: Ready to Rock   :P

Mine is officially set to 12000km or  8000 miles on the bike not counting the indoor trainer.

Might get a head start with a fat bike this Winter but I am still debating between a fat bike

and a TT bike for next season but one way or an other my bike fleet will increase in 2016. ;)

Happy New year to all hard core cyclists out there and to everyone else !

raffi

It was a beautiful sunny New Year's morning, so I waited until it warmed up to 12 degrees and got in a 20 mile ride. That's the way I like to start a new year.

As to goals, I want to at least match 2015. I will have to give some thought about trying to match 2014's miles. I might just try to relax a bit and keep the biking fun. If I set the goals too high, I tend to stress out about it. That's not the results I'm looking for.

rwallen

Happy New Year all!

I got out today with some friends for a ride and brunch. It was 22 when I left and slightly above freezing when I returned home. I got in 42 miles.

I'm not sure about goals. I have been thinking of making sure to do a 50 mile ride each week and a century each month, along with my daily riding. Of course, I'll be planning some tours.

I posted my year end numbers on the 2015 forum.

Take care!

ORjt

Hi all

Still need to upload some Garmin data to get last years' total, but I'm quite confident it was at least a smidge better than '14 :-)

Clear, and cold, and windy here (PDX) to end 15 and start 16. I celebrated by going out for rides on NYED, NYD, and DANYD.  A grand total of about 31 miles, but certainly a good way to start off.  We were mid 30's for the high temps - with ~20mph winds. Full 'polar bear' mode. No perma-frost on the roads, so other than the wind, riding was actually quite pleasant.

And now, we have snow, and freezing rain. At least it's interesting.

As for goals -- I don't really do hard and fast goals. They're more like 'guidelines' - More miles than last year - I'd be happier a bit north of 2k (last was probably close to 1800).  I'll try for more commutes than last year - and might throw in a full century.

As always - stay safe out there!

-JT

rwallen

I have to agree with JT in regard to goals.  I started off strong in the beginning last year...and I'm happy with the year-end results but while I continued to ride I kinda lost my motivation.  So, I have adopted the "guidelines" attitude.  I originally stated that I wanted to do a 50 mile day once a week and a century ride once a month this year.  I think that's gonna be hard during these cold months.  I have already missed 1 day this year but I don't think I'm gonna be so strict on my riding.  What I need to work on is my diet.  Riding helps control all things diabetic but I can still put on weight in spite of my riding.  So, I think I'll try to focus my attention on my weight and be at a good "riding weight" come Spring.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Just to let everyone know, the hip injury is starting to improve. The real improvement started last week when I gave up my "Macho-Man" attitude and bought and started to use a cane to take some weight off the hip when walking or standing. Riding my single bike on rollers hasn't been a problem, if anything it helps. Now I'm finally contemplating a few excursions outdoors if/when the weather cooperates.

As to goals: I've pretty much made it my goal to get some exercise (primarily bicycling/tandeming) at least six days a week looking for a minimum of 30 minutes per day at a good pace. I have the sense that, approaching 70, I'm just a bit older than the rest of you so my goals are much more modest. I'll still track the miles but not set particular mileage goals. Re Rick's reference to "Riding Weight" I try to keep myself in a +/- 2.5 pounds of 145 figuring that the five pound keeps me from getting obsessive but still in control. I do admit that I get more concerned as I approach 147.5 than when I go below 142.5 (that shows my preferences) however I don't freak-out if I go above 145 as long as I'm below 147.5.

Looks like another rainy weekend her in NJ so more TdG sessions to come.

ORjt

Hi all,

Finally got around to uploading the Garmin data - about 40 miles more in 15 than 14.

Sunday - had a great ride; mild temps (upper 40s), clear skies, light breeze. About 21 miles. We're back to rain, now - did a stint on the exercise bike last night. Ugh.

Forecast (as usual) is ever-changing for the upcoming weekend. Looks now like it might be a washout :(

Santa brought a (belated) new toy --> Garmin Edge520. It's a nice upgrade over the 500 I've been using for the last 4 years. Nothing wrong with the old one -- I'll continue to use it for TdLR, and possibly commuting this year.  Did have a few more-or-less expected teething issues with the 520, but they all fall in the category of  'User Error'.

Stay safe out there!

-JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Here in NJ it is simply TDC (Too *Darn* Cold) to be riding outside. Temperatures in the low 20's with 30-plus mph wind gusts.  Another TdG session and things are looking up. After a few weeks of using the cane I can see that the trochanter swelling is coming down and the range of motion of the hip has improved.  Fortunately, cycling is the recommended exercise for people with arthritic hips.  I've also started research of what is involved in hip replacement surgery. The more I know, the more I want to avoid it.  Too many drugs and too much idle time and way too many restrictions.

Nothing much else happening here in NJ.

raffi

So far, this month has not seen a lot of riding days. The temperatures have not been too bad (high 20s to low 40s), but the rain/snow etc. coming down pretty much every day has not helped the motivation. Since today was a day off of work AND was not currently precipitating, I decided a 20 mile ride was in order. Wow, what a workout. Between not enough riding days and VERY soft soggy roads, I'm quite worn out. A good worn out, but worn out non the less.

rwallen

​Hi all

Ronin, in regard to diet, even though I ride quite a bit I have lightened up a bit on the strictness of my diet.  Riding helps with the A1c and I'm glad that I'm med free but I think that the Metformin was a pretty good diet aid.  I either need to ride more or eat less.  :)  Actually, I just need to eat better.

I'm not doing too bad on miles so far this year.  However, I have missed 6 days.  4 was a trip to Topeka to help my wife's grandmother transition from her home to an independent living facility.  My philosophy in regard to winter riding is that if I can get out and at least match or exceed the miles that I would do on the spin bike, I should.  However, these low to mid twenty for high days are pretty rough.  Actually, it's the getting out that's hard.  It's not too bad once I get out there but it's definitely not my preferred time of year to ride.  :}

Take care!

ORjt

Hi all,

Lots (and lots!) of rain - suffered through another 30 minute TdLR on Sunday.  We actually got a break on Monday - moderate temps (45), little to no wind, and no rain. Took the 'cross bike out for 25 miles. Felt really good to get out in the air.

Rick - agreed about the temp thing - mid 40's is one thing, but once below that 40 degree mark, it feels like about as much effort to get dressed as it does to ride. (But like you said, once out, it's really not *that* bad).  About another month, and we'll routinely be at that mid/upper 40's mark.  Now ... about the rain ...

Hang in there, and stay safe!

-JT

raffi

The weather has been warmer and most of the snow is melted. That means the roads are clear, but SOFT. It was raining this morning with a promise of clearing up most of the afternoon.

As soon as the rain slowed to a trickle, I got on my fatbike and went to go pick up some eggs from the local hardware store. The ride was beautiful and the pot holes and soft roads were actually kind of fun. Not long after I got home, the rains came down with a vengeance.  I guess the weather guessers were wrong, but I'm pretty happy that I got my ride in during the only dry bit we had.

ORjt

Hi all,

For you folks on the east coast - hope you're all doing well.

I was out for 20 miles on Sunday - a co-co-cold 20 miles - 34 with a bit of fog/heavy low overcast.  The weather guessers (do we have a pattern here???) had promised rain starting around noon so I got up and out early on. (Thus the low temp and fog).  Visibility really wasn't an issue - it was more just really, really humid.  And the rain? A smattering of drizzle, right around noon ... that was it. Ah well ...

Hang in there folks - spring's around the corner.

--JT

raffi

The east coast is certainly looking challenging today. Things around here are actually hinting at the coming spring. I finally decided to stop being a wimp and I commuted in this morning. At 30 degrees, it was not too bad. The only excitement was a "wet" stretch of road on my big downhill section. Turns out that was wet on top of ice. The bike got a bit squirrelly, but other than an elevated heart rate, I made it through without incident.

rwallen

Hi all!

raffi, good that you didn't go down.

3 of us got out on Sun.after I had been on the spin bike for the previous 3 or 4 days.  We decided to get out on the farm roads thinking that they would be more clear than trying to navigate around the city and definitely more clear than any of the trails.  It was supposed to be warm but really didn't get much above the mid 40s.  I ended up with 43 miles.  One of my friends got smacked by the mirror of a passing truck.  He was a little shaken and I suspect bruised but he was ok.  I have spoke with him since and he seems to be doing ok.  I was able to avoid the spin bike again and got out yesterday after work.  We had a passing front go through where the temps climbed quickly into the 60s and fell just as fast back into the 40s.  Guess which part of the day I rode in.  :)  It was ok but the wind was out of the west but was in the process of switching from the south to the north.  So, even heading east there was still a strong crosswind from either side.  Heading west was very demoralizing and I cut my ride short by a few miles.  I was adequately dressed but could have used another layer above the waist and maybe a heavier balaclava.

Anyway, today is another day.  Stay safe and take care!

raffi

Rick, sounds like a good character building ride. Unless the temperatures drop below 20, I can't wear a balaclava, I get way too hot and sweaty.

Last night's commute home was going pretty well until the end. At that point it seemed like I was fighting way too hard and not getting anywhere. When I got home, I found out the truth of the matter was that I WAS fighting harder than usual. Not sure what's wrong with the bike, but turning the pedals is way harder than it should be. The rear wheel spins free and if I remove the change, the crank spins free, but trying to pedal the rear wheel feels like the breaks are one. Guess that bike will be visiting the LBS this week.

This morning I had to drop my wifes car off in a near by town, so I got to ride the other bike on the bike path. If it were not for the headwind, it would have been a nice easy ride. As it was, it was just slow and felt like a lot of work.

leosmith

Here in the Northwest it's winter as usual - lots of rain, some gusty days, and very little snow. Haven't missed a ride day yet this year (I only ride 3 days per week), and I hope I can continue till the end.

cplca

Hi all,

The new 2016 Pro-Cycling just got underway this past weekend with the 2016

Tour Down Under so,

for everyone in cold and snowy climate hang in there, Spring is coming !

Hopefully we can all start counting the weeks left before hitting the roads again.

For those interested, I just made a video montage of the whole 6 days event

and posted it on Youtube. After viewing more than 20 hours of footage and spending

an other 60 hours cutting, splicing and editing I ended up with this 1 hour montage

trying to capture the spirit of the race and all best moments.

If you like this type of event let me know in my YouTube comment section.

I plan on covering several other Pro-Tour events in 2016 and I am open to

suggestion for up coming video content.

raffi

You got to make miles while the sun shines. That's what I was thinking this morning when I got out earlier than I had planned. It worked out well too, I was home before all kinds of different states of water started to fall out of the sky.

The roads were good enough that I could have taken the 29er, but since I just got my fatbike back from the LBS with a new spinning dérailleur wheel, I thought a test ride was in order. My guess is that wheel had been getting bad for a while, the fatbike was much easier to ride than it has been for quite some time.

leosmith

I rode my typical 50 min in the bitter cold rain (40ish). I learned that my new gloves, which look suspiciously like my old gloves, are much warmer as I had hoped. No more numb fingers, at least not at these temperatures.

rwallen

Good morning all!

Not much to report...just touching base.

January was kind of a poor month for me.  Some of that is because January of last year was an exceptional January for me.  So, by comparison...  Anyway, I have been able to get out and have getting some miles in.  So, that's a good thing!

I hope everyone is doing well!

Rick

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Haven't been riding outside since October 20th - that was the big FDGB! Almost all the pain and discomfort have disappeared but the left hip is still a problem. I'm a lot more mobile and have a lot less pain but I have to be evaluated by an Ortho to see how much damage was done to the bursa that lubricates the hip. If the bursa is beyond healing then I'm staring at hip replacement surgery in the not too distant future. Fortunately it is the single most common surgical procedure in the USA and generally has the best outcomes.  Still I don't like the idea of having surgery and the recovery process, but...

The odd thing is that riding the bicycle (at least on the rollers, the weather hasn't cooperated to allow me on the roads) actually makes my hip feel better and I put in a pretty brutal half hour almost every day (generally six days a week).

I happy to see that everyone else is still getting some riding done. Meanwhile I'm in the garage pedaling away.

raffi

Ronin, I hope you get good news when you get your evaluation.

The weather has not been all that cooperative around here, but I have been getting some miles in. I did managed to commute into work this morning. The first couple of miles had lots of ice and the rest of the gravel roads were pretty soft. I hope to get a few more commutes in this month.

ORjt

Hi all,

Ronin - likewise, hope you get a good report.

We had (and still have) a break in the weather, with possibly record breaking highs (low 60s). Saturday was  cool, and I had some time commits, but was still able to get out for 13 miles.

Sunday was clear, and (almost) warm.  56F out on the bike - got in a really nice 24 mile ride. Everything's been on the 'cross bike - one of my main routes still has a bunch of pea gravel on the shoulder. Sticking to the wider tires for the time being.

Unfortunately, might be back to rain for the coming weekend - but that's still pretty far off!

Stay safe out there!

-JT

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.