Diabetes forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2016 Bicycling - A New Hope

raffi

The temperature here is also above average. The weather guessers are calling for 60 by Friday! I commuted this morning and I'm hoping to do a couple more later in the week.

leosmith

50F and sunny here; no ear covers necessary, so I got my best time of the year on my old route. Great 50 min ride!

rwallen

Hi all!

Ronin, I too hope for a good report for you and that surgery isn't necessary.

I don't have much to report.  I got out yesterday after being on the spin bike for a couple of days.  I am used to riding in the wind but the gusts have been over 40 mph and with the temps. I just decided to ride the spin bike those 2 days.  It felt good to get outside yesterday.  We did an up and back to Topeka on Sunday so that Patti could take her G'Ma out to buy some clothes.  I took my bike and while they shopped I rode my bike through Topeka, on its Shunga Trail, and then out to Patti's dad's house which is outside of Topeka.  It was so much more fun riding in somewhat unfamiliar territory than it is to ride the same old route(s) around Springfield.  This weekend is supposed to be cold and a chance of precip. on Sunday.  So, I don't know what will happen then but in the meantime, I should be able to get outside each day.

Anyway, take care and happy riding!

ORjt

Hi all,

Well - 2/3 of a good weekend for riding. Saturday was rainy/wet, but Sunday and Monday were decent (ie, not raining) to pretty nice (a bit of sun, tiny peeks of blue sky). Highs for the latter two days were in the upper 50's. Local weather-guesser is saying this is more like mid-March. Not sure if that's good, or bad.  I have noticed a lot of migratory birds - does seem a bit early for them ...

At any rate - 21 miles for each of the days. On Monday, I broke out the carbon bike :D .  The only real down-side to either day was wind. Monday was worse, but neither was up to 'character builder' status -- just noticeable.

Hang in there - hopefully the weather will turn for you folks on the East coast soon enough.

Stay safe out there!

-JT

raffi

Yesterday was pretty much the only day that looked like the weather would cooperate for a commute so, despite fighting a cold, I went for it. That had to be my all time slowest commute. I fought a headwind on the way in (if I was 100%, it would not have been that bad) and by time time I was heading home, I was just tired. The good news is I made it both ways and don't seem any worse for the wear.

Today is raining and miserable out, so I'm even happier about doing the commute yesterday.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

I'm still here but I've been silent for a while as there isn't much to be said about Tour de Garage stages. Today (20 Feb) is different - I got out on the roads.  Mounting and dismounting the bicycle is a bit weird (I have to lay the bike down for both) but once aboard it was great.  Actually I think it solves some muscle imbalance problems that arise from the fact that rollers don't really engage the quads as much as the gleuts thereby creating an imbalance and weird cramps.  The Arthritis/Bursitis combination wasn't aggravated by the outdoor ride so Linda and I are already planning a return of the tandem to the roads very soon.  The weather predictions for early next week are good.

I do have an appointment with an orthopedist on St. Patrick's Day to assess the extent of the remaining damage. However, I am a whole lot more upbeat now that I know that we can, and will continue to ride outdoors.  I do have to setup the tandem for the resistance trainer for bad weather days because Linda needs the exercise just as much as I do and I need the quad engagement that doesn't come from rollers - not every day but at least every other day.   

leosmith

Beautiful day today - 47F and sunny, very little wind. Did my standard 50 min ride. It's amazing how much faster it goes by when it's not raining.

raffi

It looks like the recent commutes have started bringing my stamina back up. This morning's 20 mile ride went well and I was still pretty fresh by the end. There was a bit of wind, but not up to the character building level. There was also a bit of sunshine though it was colder than it has been most of the week.

rwallen

Hi all!

It was a great weekend here!  Actually, I took off work early on Friday and rode a few more miles than my normal daily amount.  Sat. was the best of the two weekend days.  I got out with a couple of friends and rode to a neighboring town and on Sun. rode with a different friend the opposite direction to another small town.  It was really nice out and it felt good to get out on the farm roads.

I have started the process of keeping an eye on my diet and eating better.  I had my DR. visit last week and my labs done a few days earlier.  Everything continues to look great in spite of the slight weight gain.  A1C was 5.3  So, I have no complaints.  I just want to fine tune the bike engine a bit.  :)

Hope everyone has a great day!

ORjt

Hi all,

Glad we're all getting at least some riding in -- and Ronin, that sounds like a positive update!

For me - 21 miles on Saturday - dry, not too cold (~45F), no wind.  A nice day on the road bike.  Sunday was wet, and I had conflicts; could have gotten out for a late ride, but took a nap instead. :D

We're having really nice weather this week - but the weekend's a bit too far away to predict with any certainty.

Stay safe out there!

-JT

raffi

February has been a pretty good month. I've managed to get in enough commutes to see improvement in stamina and to start bringing my commute time down a bit. It looks like March is going to start out pretty wet, so I'll have to see what can be done to keep what I've already gained.

Now that the winter is starting to break up, I hope the rest of you are getting out there.

ORjt

Hi all,

I was going to post about this weekend, then realized it was pretty much just a replay of the previous weekend. Ok, it was 5 degrees warmer, and I was on the 'cross bike.

And Raffi's right - this week (at least in the PNW) will be wet ...

Hang in there, and stay safe!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

On the road again, at least for today.  Temperatures in the low to mid 40's and Linda decided not to venture out on the tandem. Actually, I feeling a whole lot better today than I have since 19 Oct 2015. Perhaps I've turned a corner. Perhaps, not.  Forecast for tomorrow is more rain with possible snow on Friday (winter's last gasp?)

I happy to read that everyone else seems to be doing well and dealing with their particular weather patterns.

rwallen

Hi all!

Great to see a post from you Ronin!

Not much to say on my end.  I didn't get out yesterday due to work and may not be able to today although if I can I'll try to ride the spin bike instead of foregoing it like I did last night.  However, I am off to a good start to 2016.  So far, this is my best year mileage-wise but then we all know how that can change.  :)

Take care!  Have fun!  Be safe!

raffi

The first commute after donating blood is always a hard one. Add a bit of wind, and I was really dragging this morning. At least I was able to switch to the blinkly lights before I got to work.

cplca

I still haven't send my bike to the shop for a tune up and cables replacement.

I am always afraid to loose a good opportunity to ride. My last outing was on Feb 21st.

Was hoping for a decent ride and a few hours on the bike but the wind picked up and

temperature dropped quite a bit and decided to turn around since I wasn't dressed for

bellow 0 F weather. I started my ride at -10 c or 14 f and turned around after the temp

dropped to -18 c or 0 f. I still managed to do a decent time for a 32km or 22 miles ride.

The forecast is a nice 37 f tomorrow and up in the mid 40's for the next week or so

with some chances for rain. So chances are good for me to ride at least 4 to 5 times

and get my bike tuned up this week. I am way a head of last season since I didn't start

riding until the end of April last year.

Here's a little taste of my last ride for those interested :

raffi

I still haven't send my bike to the shop for a tune up and cables replacement.

I am always afraid to loose a good opportunity to ride.

This is why you NEED more than one bike. ;)

cplca

Yah I know, was thinking about a fat bike for Winter but I am saving for a TT bike

and possible training in Australia next Winter.

Here's a 20 minutes time trial session done on my road bike at speed between :

25 to 35 mph. Add a real TT bike a skin suit and proper helmet to this 12 km or 8.2 miles

ride and I could shave 5 to 6 minutes off of my time  :)

rwallen

Hi all!

cplca, have you thought about endurance racing?

I am still chasing last year's mileage.  At this time last year, it was my best year to date even though I know it became the 2nd best year at the end.  Still, something to shoot for, right?  I am actually a head of last year but as with last year, I am trying to beat my total combined mileage with just Betty and no spin bike miles.  The bad part is that I see some spin bike days ahead and looking at last year's spread sheet, I had some higher mileage days.  Oh well.

I am thankful that I had some people that wanted to ride with me over the weekend.  It helped motivate me to get out and do a little more miles than I probably would have.  Both days were nice.  Sunday, had a pretty stiff wind out of the SE.  However, we started just shortly after dawn both days.  So, we weren't able to take advantage of the warmer temps that came later each day.

The weather forecast is calling for heavy rain the rest of the week.  So, it will be interesting to see if I can get out.  I really hate the spin bike.  :) but it has it's purpose.  So, I will try to ride it even though I don't want to.

I hope the weather where each of you are at is conducive to cycling this week.

Take care!

cplca

rwallen:  cplca, have you thought about endurance racing?

Haven't found any such events in my area but I am planing

to do more endurance training this season by doing one century

ride per week weather permitting. Starting this Saturday with a

planned 130km solo ride. I will gradually increase my weekly training

this month so I can ride 500km per week starting in April. That would about

double my last season average. 

I am also planing a few long rides as well as multi-day rides for early

this season ranging from 300 to 1000km mostly solo with a few group

rides. I am also looking into some charity events and sponsorship so I can

devote all of my time towards cycling this year. I'll keep you guys updated

on my training and events and if no one object I will post videos from

time to time.

You are also all more than welcome to my YouTube channel as well

if you wish to follow me this season. This will be most likely the place

I will spend most of my time.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

My body simply loves the tandem geometry. Yep, we finally got outside on the tandem and despite neither of us being "Tandem Fit" it was a great ride. Slower than we're used to but the best part was that there was no hip pain during or after the ride.  Lower gears, slower pace and a wonderful ride. it is amazing how one brief moment changes your life (re: 19 October 2015 when we got blown over by a gust of wind while stopping)

I'll be seeing an Orthopedic surgeon next week to get an assessment of what damage remains and what, if anything, can be done to mitigate the remaining problems.  Although, getting on the right bike makes a whole world of difference.  Perhaps I can live with my condition and I know we can take our time getting back to full tandem fitness although I doubt that we'll ever be a fast or have the climbing ability we had (the hip doesn't like climbs in anything but the granny gear).   

Welcome Cpica.

Glad to read about everyone's adventures and stories.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update. Yet another stage - Way too windy outside and I needed to adjust the single to match the tandem geometry. Actually, it was only an adjustment to the saddle position and sliding it forward an inch (to match the tandem) and all the sources of discomfort went away. Actually the geometry of both bikes is pretty much the same for me.

It is both surprising and not surprising that moving the saddle forward just one inch makes so much difference. It changes all the angles of pelvis, hips, shoulders, spine, and how the muscles work.  The weird part is that I had the single professionally fit when I bought it only to discover that it isn't exactly the same, nor as comfortable, as the made to measure tandem. Live and learn.

rwallen

...and I was worried about the rain! Should have been worried about getting sick! 3 days off the bike. Will probably be 4. :(

ORjt

Hi all,

Ronin - sounds like you're on the right track!

Rick - hang in there.

I thought I'd posted something last week - guess I forgot to hit the 'post' button.

anyhow - it's been wet (and/or windy) all month. Weather guesser this morning says we haven't had a dry day yet this month. Supposed to finally clear up by Wednesday. Hopefully, with DST, I can get home early enough for short rides in the afternoon.

Despite the rain - was able to get out the previous weekend for a longish ride on Saturday. Nothing this last weekend, but did force myself to get on the exercise bike for 25 minutes last night.  As Rick said upthread - not fun, but it has its purpose.

Got the 'cross bike back in to the LBS for a quick adjustment on Saturday (rear shifting had gotten 'noisy' - cables were just replaced in October, so it had stretched or settled a little bit ..)

Stay safe out there!

-JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

I just crossed the 1000 mile mark for 2016.  Given all my maladies I don't see big numbers in the future but it is nice to put in the first 1K miles.  Given all that has happened I'm simply happy to be riding even if it is shorter distances and slower speeds than in the past.

I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow for a consult on the state of my hip. I can live with the condition as it is now but if it can improve that would be nice. The consult is also for Linda's benefit as she is concerned about the future. 

We did get in another 16 road miles today. First nice day since last Saturday. We'll keep everyone in the loop as information becomes available.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.