Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sillygirl

Weird Spike

sillygirl

For dinner, i made cabbage soup. Literally the best meal i have had since starting LCHF. It turned out to be more carbs than I thought at 12carbs per serving instead of 8. The broth i used had sugar in it GRRRRRR. My pre dinner BG was 118 (a good number for me so far). 2 hours after dinner i was at a bg of 170 ACK!!!!!! Most meals raise me around 20-25 points max. What i found weird though is 1 hour after that my BG was 115.

Is it normal to spike like that? Because i dropped to a good  number should i eat it again? Why would it drop so quickly? Normally (ok i only have a weeks experience) it takes a long time for me to drop when my numbers hit that high.

Sorry for all the questions i am still a bit lost here.

Fraser

We all miscalculate the hidden sugars and congrats on returning to a lower Bs so soon that is a good thing.

Many T2s insulin production at first reacts too slowly then catches up and over reacts. Hence high then lower.

At least for me consistency is my best friend.

Stl-T2

So, generally speaking, it'll take 15-20 minutes or so after you ingest something before your blood sugar will start to rise.  It'll continue to rise for about an hour and then start to drop back down. (For me, at least, it drops a bit slower than it rises.)  The composition of what you eat and any exercise you do following the meal can influence the shape of the curve (your BG plotted over time).  Fiber and fat tend to slow the absorption of carbs.  Some protein can be converted to carbs, but it takes longer.  A sugary drink will spike fast and high, but might actually look lower than you expect by 2hrs.  My guess is the dish had enough fiber and fat that your peak got pushed back a bit more than you are used to seeing.  Or, if you are usually prompt about getting up and doing the dishes, but this time you sat and chatted with a friend or watched TV, that could also explain the difference.  Maddening, isn't it?

sillygirl

It sort of feels like i am on a roller coaster. You never know when your going to shoot up or down.

The recipe was fairly simple it just didnt seem right that it would spike soo high for 12 carbs.

2oz cooked sausage 0carbs

1/16 a large head of cabbage roasted in bacon fat and evoo 2 carbs

1 cup of unsalted broth but with sugar it turns out 4carbs

1/2 cup tomato sauce no sugar added 6carbs

spiced to taste

Moonpie

Instead of using store bought broth, I keep a bag of cheap chicken parts in the freezer & throw a piece in the soup, long with a bay leaf. It works for us. Then I take the chicken out, remove the skin & bone, & add the meat back in.

Seagal

I actually found a broth that has no stuff added that will cause a spike (for me).  I buy Swanson's and read the label carefully, all Swanson's are not alike :)   I have also used Rachel Ray's that I got at Walmart and it was good too.

Like Moonpie, I prefer my own broth, but like to keep some "bought" stuff on hand rather than avoid making something spur of the moment and not have broth.

The big thing about just starting out is to be sure and read the labels and not just sugar content (or even), but the carb content.  Reading the ingredients is also key, since so many can have maltodextrin (a sugar), modified food starch, *soy, etc.

Maybe we should have a thread about the stuff to avoid in processed foods.  Best to avoid processed foods, but I'm not going to stop using broth in a box :D

*soy....I mention soy because if can interfere with those who have a thyroid condition.

sillygirl

I am a decent cook, but however many times i have tried to make broth it turns out inedible.

I think i finally tweeked the recipe so that it works. All i did was change from tomato sauce to whole peeled tomatoes canned (no salt or sugar added) and i used swanson unsalted chicken broth.

My numbers

Before my first bite 104

1 hour 115

2 hours 136

3 hours 109

Seems like it actually helped me drop my sugar, but who knows with as messed up as my system is.

I would love a thread with ingredients to avoid. WOW that would be an amazing tool.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.