Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snow Goose

In store food demos

Snow Goose

How do you guys and gals feel about these.

Personally I liked to try new things, especially now - low carb and no sugar items. But have concerns over food safety.

I stay away from unattended demos and especially those plastic bubble deli and bakery ones (seen people use their hands, use the same toothpick to get another piece after milling through it and coughing and sneezing - not good)

Costco does a pretty good job with them - the demonstrator's do not leave the station unattended, wear plastic gloves and hairnets. Food grazer's can be aggravating though.

moneymeister

Sample days at Costco.  

Spending 1/2 my time looking for my s/o who frequently dissappears because he is swarming the meat and cheese samples. Glad he is 6'5...so I look for a tall bald head.

Love the samples and we often buy things we like.

Snow Goose

Sample days at Costco.  

Spending 1/2 my time looking for my s/o who frequently dissappears because he is swarming the meat and cheese samples. Glad he is 6'5...so I look for a tall bald head.

Love the samples and we often buy things we like.

LOL....me too

Wife always disappears .

Hammer

Whenever there is a person handing out food samples at the grocery store, I usually just ignore them, but sometimes they'll stop me and offer me a sample.  When that happens, I just smile at them and tell them "no thanks, that stuff is deadly."

Moonpie

I normally can't get to the table, due to the swarm of folk trying to grab one. But if it is not over crowded, I will try it,  figure one bite is not going to kill me.

Kit

I haven't bothered with samples in ages.  All that I've ever seen is over processed convenience food.  I can't even bother to care.

kayell

I pass them by. Virtually everything is something I don't eat, either for BG reasons, or as Kit pointed out, overly processed gack. Usually both. The food safety thing just adds to that. Hadn't thought about it, but all those people passing by, possibly coughing near the food. Ugh

comedy

I don't make eye contact with the person handing them out, so they don't bother me. As others have said, it's always processed food that I don't eat anyway.

Halves&pieces

Sample days at Costco.  

Always heard everybody had a twin in the world. :)

OP - no sampling for me....unless it's specialty beer.

Seagal

Don't have a Costco card anymore, but there were times when they had something like hot pickle chips and usually never a swarm of people around that item.  I could pick up the container and read the label to determine if it was edible (for me) or not.

predb4

Whenever there is a person handing out food samples at the grocery store, I usually just ignore them, but sometimes they'll stop me and offer me a sample.  When that happens, I just smile at them and tell them "no thanks, that stuff is deadly."

i tried my what do you say to the god of death line once. gal was unoccupied and listened to my diabetic diatribe.

when i returned next week, they had 6 weeks of low carb food samples, complete with 'eat to the meter' handouts, and a white board for notes.

gal flagged me down and i listened. lol.

notme

I never ever ever eat store samples that are under "bubbles". Who knows how long they have been sitting out or what small child has handled. Costco, I indulge a little if it is something that I might be interested in purchasing or if it is chocolate!

Hammer

i tried my what do you say to the god of death line once. gal was unoccupied and listened to my diabetic diatribe.

when i returned next week, they had 6 weeks of low carb food samples, complete with 'eat to the meter' handouts, and a white board for notes.

gal flagged me down and i listened. lol.

If that were to happen to me, I'd still tell them no thanks.  If they said that the food was low carb, I'd just say that I didn't bring my insulin with me. :)

TX_Clint

Oh, Hammer, I bet you even pass up a bit of wine tasting. Thursday I hit my grocer with perfect timing, cheese and wine samples side by side. Perfect afternoon snack.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.