Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

strugglinDiabetic

Stevia and/or Organic Raw Blue Agave!

strugglinDiabetic

I was researching and read (somewhere) that Stevia is good for me, being a type 2 diabetic. I'm just starting to really work on my numbers and getting serious about this challenge. In the past, I never was told how serious this situation was. Not from doctors, family or friends. I sort ta found out the hard way, by actually going through some of the complications it has to bring with it. So, with that being said, I wanted to discover some truths about these 2 products. I don't want to elevate my levels or my levels to spike. So, I need a little hep here...thank you so much...!!! What gives about STEVIA and/or ORGANIC RAW BLUE AGAVE...?

predb4

the stevia in the little package has some carbs. i buy the pure stevia 1tsp= 1 cup of sugar, dilute it in rum and water and sweeten with the drops.

it does not raise my blood glucose, but all have to test.

the agave is a lie, it is 100% fructose, the sugar that is ready to accumulate as visceral fat.  

let me think, hfcs is 55% fructose and 45% glucose, and it is bad for you,  why would one want to consume 100% fructose?

i always carry little sacharin packages with me, because they are low in cost, my drop bottles of stevia could break.

i also buy the pure sucralose and dilute.

Fraser

I would also ask yourself why are you using sweeteners, does it really enhance what you are consuming or just out of habit.

I find the less I consume anything sweet the less I am interested in it. The same with high carb items.

Not the easiest of transitions, but it sure helps controlling those numbers.

samuraiguy

Set some blood glucose goals and let your meter be your guide as to what to limit, eliminate or find a low carb alternative for. I don't believe anyone should try to give up sweeteners all together if it will make you crave them even more and thus make you cheat on carbier ones. Your brain wants energy ASAP and is wired to give you pleasurable feelings like a drug when you have sweet things. Liquid stevia without additional binders is probably low carb and despite studies probably does not kill your gut flora or cause cancer and even if there was small chance these things did happen it is still a better alternative to actual sweeteners to a diabetic. Agave of any kind is just a carb like any other and your body will eventually turn it into glucose.

Fraser

Totally disagree with you samari

1 I did not say give up sweeteners I just suggested they should be evaluated.

2 if you train your brain to rely on sweet things it will

3 if you train your brain to control carbs it will.

4 I don't have sugar or a sugar substitutes in my house.

5 I don't crave sweets or high carb foods.

Seagal

No on the raw sugar or blue (or green or yellow) agave!

Keep in mind, my comments come from being type 2 for twelve + years and I enjoy a cookie, muffin or bar once in a while.  I don't buy packaged foods, I make my own and find it helps stay on track.

Liquid sucralose (Sweetzfree or other) is a good one.  erythritol is ok for baking.  Stevia, some like, some don't.  Sugar free syrups such as DaVinci or Torani are nice flavorings although not real sweet (works out great though in cooking).

Just a few ideas, for now, you will hear from lots of members :D

samuraiguy

Totally disagree with you samari

1 I did not say give up sweeteners I just suggested they should be evaluated.

2 if you train your brain to rely on sweet things it will

3 if you train your brain to control carbs it will.

4 I don't have sugar or a sugar substitutes in my house.

5 I don't crave sweets or high carb foods.

My comment wasn't directed at you (didn't read your previous post, lol), but in general if someone likes sweet things, even in moderation, I would say not to try to go cold turkey because unless you are an intentional person (less than 20% of people are) you are going to want an occasional sweet treat (or be exposed to some in mixed company) and it's better to have lower carb alternatives to go to than cheat on a carbier ones.

strugglinDiabetic

ok..., thank you so much EVERYONE.... This is GREAT information for me. The AGAVE has been tossed... The packaged STEVIA, has been tossed. I'm on my way to the Whole Wheatery to get some liquid sucralose (if they have it).... and go from there. I am so trying to "Train my Brain" to NOT want sweets all together (Fraser) but yes, it is a major challenge for me. I don't eat packaged food, I don't eat processed foods, I don't eat foods with any Trans Fat, I don't drink sodas, I don't drink juices, I'm trying to stay a 75 carbs or less a day... All of this I just started to do as I have gotten educated with living with type2 diabetes, with not help from the doctors or other diabetes educators... This forum and my own research have been invaluable...  Again, thanks EVERYONE...!

PS...(Seagal)  where can I find liquid sucralose...? Is it a common item that's easy to locate...?

samuraiguy

ok..., thank you so much EVERYONE.... This is GREAT information for me. The AGAVE has been tossed... The packaged STEVIA, has been tossed. I'm on my way to the Whole Wheatery to get some liquid sucralose (if they have it).... and go from there. I am so trying to "Train my Brain" to NOT want sweets all together (Fraser) but yes, it is a major challenge for me. I don't eat packaged food, I don't eat processed foods, I don't eat foods with any Trans Fat, I don't drink sodas, I don't drink juices, I'm trying to stay a 75 carbs or less a day... All of this I just started to do as I have gotten educated with living with type2 diabetes, with not help from the doctors or other diabetes educators... This forum and my own research have been invaluable...  Again, thanks EVERYONE...!

PS...(Seagal)  where can I find liquid sucralose...? Is it a common item that's easy to locate...?

You may have trouble as several stores in my area (Wisconsin) stopped carrying it and the reason they said was the company that bottled it for many resellers stopped producing it--no reason given. I get it on Amazon, but Netrition also sells it and a little goes a long way. If it seems cost prohibitive buy a smaller size bottle and give it try before investing in larger quantities. I have built up a tolerance for Erythritol---all other sugar alcohols give me GI distress--but because of its cost I limit its use to coconut flour baked goods where I want the right texture liquid sweeteners don't provide.

strugglinDiabetic

Oh my (Seagal)..., I just got a crap load of information concerning sucralose (splenda) and it's not good  :(    There have been no long-term studies of the side effects of sucralose in humans, but the Splenda manufacturer’s own short-term studies showed that very high doses of sucralose shrank thymus glands, enlarged livers, and caused kidney disorders in rodents. The doses were measured at a level far beyond what would be expected in an ordinary diet. Splenda contains more than just sucralose when it is sold at your local stores–it’s made with dextrose, and sometimes with maltodextrin, neither of which were included in the original studies of sucralose. The evidence of side effects associated with sucralose is accumulating slowly. Most of the testing is funded by the food industry, which has an interest in the outcome. One thing is certain. Some of the chemicals that comprise this artificial sweetener are known to be hazardous.

Man..., we diabetics "get it on both ends of the stick"  I thought this would be great for me but apparently, it isn't good at all. I have more data...

It’s very important to realize that Splenda (sucralose) is actually NOT sugar, despite its marketing slogan “Made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar.” Rather it’s a chlorinated artificial sweetener in line with aspartame and saccharin, and with detrimental health effects to match.

There’s overwhelming evidence that consuming artificial sweeteners will likely wreak havoc on your body. Previous news has centered mainly around artificial sweeteners’ ability to impair your appetite regulation and leading to weight gain. It’s been discovered that metabolic syndrome and, ultimately, heart disease.

Hey Seagal, I'm not trying to make it rain on your parade but...  I was on my way to adding this product to my cart and then I just did a cursory query concerning the product and this is what I discovered...   :(

TX_Clint

I agree that many artificial sweeteners aren't good for you. However, when I see statements like there's overwhelming evidence that something might or is likely to harm you I just stop wasting my time right there.

Fraser

my baseline I eat real food, as long as my bs are ok.

Spaghetti squash use to be a treat now a staple.

For those who do faux cauliflower mash potatoes I enjoy it just as cauliflower

I try to enjoy life as it is. )

One might consider this as rant )

samuraiguy

Oh my (Seagal)..., I just got a crap load of information concerning sucralose (splenda) and it's not good   :(    There have been no long-term studies of the side effects of sucralose in humans, but the Splenda manufacturer’s own short-term studies showed that very high doses of sucralose shrank thymus glands, enlarged livers, and caused kidney disorders in rodents. The doses were measured at a level far beyond what would be expected in an ordinary diet. Splenda contains more than just sucralose when it is sold at your local stores–it’s made with dextrose, and sometimes with maltodextrin, neither of which were included in the original studies of sucralose. The evidence of side effects associated with sucralose is accumulating slowly. Most of the testing is funded by the food industry, which has an interest in the outcome. One thing is certain. Some of the chemicals that comprise this artificial sweetener are known to be hazardous.

Man..., we diabetics "get it on both ends of the stick"  I thought this would be great for me but apparently, it isn't good at all. I have more data...

It’s very important to realize that Splenda (sucralose) is actually NOT sugar, despite its marketing slogan “Made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar.” Rather it’s a chlorinated artificial sweetener in line with aspartame and saccharin, and with detrimental health effects to match.

There’s overwhelming evidence that consuming artificial sweeteners will likely wreak havoc on your body. Previous news has centered mainly around artificial sweeteners’ ability to impair your appetite regulation and leading to weight gain. It’s been discovered that metabolic syndrome and, ultimately, heart disease.

Hey Seagal, I'm not trying to make it rain on your parade but...  I was on my way to adding this product to my cart and then I just did a cursory query concerning the product and this is what I discovered...   :(

I don't go by studies, but by results, the CDC, WHO and FDA do not list any artificial sweeteners as carcinogens nor issued any official warnings to limit their use for any reason despite them being in use and scrutinized for over 50 years. What people don't realize about these studies is there is what a person will actually consume and what the FDA sets as the ADI (acceptable daily intake) and for the studies the ADI is about 100 times above what people typically consume of them in a day.  This means sucralose may cause cancer, metabolic syndrome and a dozen other things that make you want to avoid them but you would have to consume 400 tablespoons daily versus the 4 tablespoons you are probably only consuming. If it's a choice as a diabetic to have real sweeteners or very slooooowly die from artificial sweeteners, I'll choose the later.

Seagal

I get mine online at the Sweetzfree site, but perhaps in the grocery aisle near the s.f. sweetners.  Should be in a variety of bottles near the stevia, equal, etc.

I must say, you are coming along very nicely with your new found education, sometimes it takes much longer to "catch on".  Keep reading around the forum, you are doing well!

http://sweetzfree.com/orderpaypalcart.html

Thanks for the info on sweetners, however for me it is "old news" and not something I believe.  One small bottle of liquid sucralose will last almost two years.  It isn't like I guzzle it down in my vodka/tonic drinks :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.