Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

carfree

What to eat when sick

carfree

I have some kind of gastroenteritis, but I'm starting to feel a bit better. Haven't eaten anything for a day. Any ideas what to eat when introducing food. Obviously, the BRAT diet will not work. I do have an apple so could try a small a piece, but I normally would not eat this alone. Simply cannot eat any fat right now. On top of this, I ran out of test strips and hope they arrive tomorrow. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Seagal

Chicken broth, roast chicken, cottage cheese, mashed cauliflower.  I see you are pre-diabetic, maybe you can handle soda crackers?

notme

Honestly, when I am sick I throw the low carb out the window and eat what seems like will sit well. Don't stress, eat toast or crackers or mashed potatoes. Eat what will stay down and get back on track when you are well.

Get well soon!

adiantum

I've recently recovered from something similar. I didnt eat for 4 days & my BG was just awful until I started to eat.

I gave into foods I  craved, assuming my body knew what it wanted. 

Toast & vegemite , prawns / schrimp, lemon flavoured jelly, cans of zero & diet lemon squash. The latter, I'd never had before but needed to drink & water tasted bad.

The thought of sweet or fatty foods repulsed me.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

sillygirl

Sugar free jello might go down easy.

broth or chicken soup

my mom had us suck on lolipops if you have a few of the sugar free ones that might work

gatorade helps if your dehydrated i think they make a sugar free version

flat cola (all the bubbles stirred out helped us especially when you have been vomiting)

Feel Better!

JohnSchroeder

I

.... lemon flavoured jelly, cans of zero & diet lemon squash. The latter, I'd never had before but needed to drink & water tasted bad.

Diet Lemon Squash huh?  either that is a typo or you are very brave in what you try to drink.  Not sure if that would be carbonated or not.

Peggy_TX

Honestly, when I am sick I throw the low carb out the window and eat what seems like will sit well. Don't stress, eat toast or crackers or mashed potatoes. Eat what will stay down and get back on track when you are well.

Get well soon!

And this is one of the reasons why I have "emergency" humalog available!

kooka

I have IBS and Diverticulitis so when I get a flare up I stay off fat, dairy  and spicy foods and anything really heavy. I sip fat free broth chicken/beef/vegetable and saltines and sugar free jello. I drink ginger tea and herbal teas.  I just don't worry so much about the carbs when I am in a state.

carfree

Thanks so much for the help. I did end up eating a little apple and a lot of ginger tea. The strips arrived and my blood sugar was only 100 after a little apple so that seemed good. My temp is back down. I'm well enough to go to the store so will try some chicken soup or broth or perhaps some light egg soup. I used to be vegetarian so I often forget about meat, which sort of makes no sense.

kooka

Glad you feel somewhat better. My mom gave us ginger tea for "that time of the month" and I have used it for my kids bellyaches and mine as well.

adiantum

The first two mouth fulls had me puckering up as if I sucked on a very sour lemon but I soldiered on  to cleanse my mouth of whatever ailed me .

it is now my favourite carbonated drink

Diet Lemon Squash huh?  either that is a typo or you are very brave in what you try to drink.  Not sure if that would be carbonated or not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.