Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orlando

How much protein do you need, good new article.

kooka

I don't eat big meals so my protein is fairly minimal. I do eat an egg at breakfast with 2 slices of bacon or 2 sausage links. Lunch is 2 ozs. of white tuna or chicken breast in a big tossed green salad and dinner is veggys and 4 ozs. of fish or chicken or a bowl of chili or home made beef or chicken vegetables soup. So I guess I would average 10 or less ounces a day.

comedy

I have trouble keeping my protein down to the recommended level for my weight, and excess puts weight on. I can really only eat one meat meal a day without having problems, especially when I'm eating my low carb bread, which is high protein.

Also, extra protein turns to glucose (I didn't see that in the article) and thus tends to increase BG.

So I have to count macronutrients via Calorie King. My favourite breakfast of one large egg and two rashers of streaky bacon comes to 24.3g of protein, and my recommended requirement is 52g.

TX_Clint

Ann:

I don't see where you get that much protein. By my calculations the thick sliced bacon is only 12g for the highest I can find and the one egg 6.3g. Sure you didn't calculate for 2 eggs or maybe duck eggs?

You are a light weight however. :)

comedy

Hi Clint, I live in Australia, so our bacon is probably different from yours. Do you have streaky bacon? I eat it because it's the fattest I can get. I'd eat speck if I could buy it here, but none of the butchers sell it. I weighed those two rashers of streaky bacon at 110g. The protein in them was 17.6g according to Calorie King. The jumbo egg (59g without the shell) was 6.6g of protein. And there was 0.1g of protein in the butter I used for frying. :)

TX_Clint

I should have figured it's those Aussie sizes. That's still a lot of protein in that bacon... equal to the same for steak. That's some large bacon slices. Like a 3.5 oz steak. Well, I'm always learning something here. Pass me a rasher of streaky bacon please.

comedy

I should have figured it's those Aussie sizes. That's still a lot of protein in that bacon... equal to the same for steak. That's some large bacon slices. Like a 3.5 oz steak. Well, I'm always learning something here. Pass me a rasher of streaky bacon please.

And I should have mentioned that those 110g of bacon were the cooked weight, of course. :)

moneymeister

One of these days I want to experience the other side of the world, Nothing but wonderous and magical things in Australia.

Seagal

I would love to visit Australia, but I have heard scary things about the "outback".  Another reason to get a guide I imagine when traveling to a different country, or maybe a new "Lonely Planets" guide book.

comedy

I would love to visit Australia, but I have heard scary things about the "outback".  Another reason to get a guide I imagine when traveling to a different country, or maybe a new "Lonely Planets" guide book.

The thing about Australia is that while it's almost as large as the continental US, most of the centre is desert, so we have 24 million people clinging largely to the (long) coastline. This results in large areas of the continent with few made roads and fewer people to find you if you leave the road and die of heat/dehydration in extreme hot weather which is common. So if you drive out into the bush, you should stick to the main roads. Yes, we have poisonous snakes, spiders and marine stingers, but if you follow the local rules, your chances of dying are pretty remote! I've survived living here for nearly 70 years. :)

And like the US, we have extreme weather; it's just different. On 1st May last year, the particular part of the country where I live had 12 inches of rain in three hours. Five people, including a child, died within 3km of my house because drivers drove past road closed signs on flooded roads. Stupidity is dangerous anywhere.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.