Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fraser

Watch out for added sugar you would not expect.

Fraser

Canned artichoke hearts in water! Yes I know artichoke contain natural carbs, The store was out of my usual brand, so I just took the next one on the shelf. Bad me did not read the lable. The can included 9 gm of added sugar. When I tasted them at home, there was a strange sweet taste. Ugh sugar. I have never seen artichoke hearts with added sugar before.

Some day I will learn my lesson and read every lable.

NoraWI

Yup. I don't buy many packaged foods but found high fructose corn syrup in a McCormick's real vanilla extract. Also in most peanut butters. The question is WHY?!!! A real incentive to make your own whatevers or do without.

Bishop

Yup. I don't buy many packaged foods but found high fructose corn syrup in a McCormick's real vanilla extract. Also in most peanut butters. The question is WHY?!!!

For the vast majority of cases, I believe a good part of the answer to why is tied to perceived economic gain.

Totally agree on your incentive to roll our own, or just go without.  Spot on.

Seagal

I once made my own vanilla with vanilla beans and vodka, took a long time to use it all up, but was very good without added ingredients.

I returned a few bottles of spices a long time ago because I hadn't read the label, I mean sugar in garlic or onion powder or mixtures?

It is really important to check the labels of everything, I sure wouldn't have suspected sugar in artichoke hearts!

Moonpie

I was horrified to find, some ginger tea bags had 15 carbs per tea bag, before that I never read tea labels.

Snow Goose

I was horrified to find, some ginger tea bags had 15 carbs per tea bag, before that I never read tea labels.

Wow....that is just insane.

kooka

Guess I better start reading more labels though most of my food is from scratch cooking. I was amazed when I took a taste of the kids tomato soup though. It tasted like thick sugar water. Never realized tomato soup and canned tomatoes and sauces had so much sugar in them the taste of sugar overtook the taste of the tomato. :-/

notme

Think of it this way kooka. If there is a nutrition label, it probably isn't nutritious. I am slowly learning to make things from scratch again.

JuliaDay2013

My DH's grandmother used to make a good rum cake. When asked if she made it from scratch, she would laugh and say "Yes! I scratched a box!"

That was over 30 years ago & long before D.

kooka

When I made cakes and sold them they were all from scratch and so was my rum cake. hahahahaha I wonder if there is anything such as a LC tomato soup? I know tomatoes are high but for the kid because he is 7 and already is a "bored" eater and goes for the sugar every time. Winter is so hard on little people.

Moonpie

When I made cakes and sold them they were all from scratch and so was my rum cake. hahahahaha I wonder if there is anything such as a LC tomato soup? I know tomatoes are high but for the kid because he is 7 and already is a "bored" eater and goes for the sugar every time. Winter is so hard on little people.

Many years ago, I made a sort of tomato soup out of canned tomatoes, I cooked some rice in the tomatoes, & then added plain yogurt & Parm, I liked it Ok at the time. Probably not low carb, but lower than the canned soups anyhow.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.