Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mandy99

Dexcom glucose monitor worth it?

Mandy99

My daughter (15) was diagnosed 2 years ago with T1D. Early this morning she had a severe hypo and seizure - incredibly scary. Her control has not been great the last few months and I had started reading up about the dexcom, after this morning I'm almost convinced I need to get her one. Given the incredible expense I wondered if any on this site had tried it and if so / how helpful was it? i know this is unlikely but if anyone knows any ways we could get funding for one that'd be great to know. (Insurance will not cover :()

Bar&In

Sorry to hear about your daughter Mandy, hope she is doing better.

I'm currently a Medtronic Enlite user and even though at the beginning I hated the device (calibrations were off, another device to insert, more blood, trouble with tape in summer months, cost, etc.) I absolutely love the CGM now. I looked into Dexcom because I heard great reviews but I do like the fact I am not forced to carry another device with Medtronic CGM because all info goes to my pump.

And yes unfortunately my insurance won't cover as well because not considered a must to stay alive.

Good Luck.

Mandy99

Thanks!  She is doing better this eve, other than doctor visits she slept all day.  

I've talked to her about a pump, she is absolutely adamant she doesn't want to wear one but was happy enough with the size of the Dexcom as it was so small.   do you still do any finger prick blood tests (other than calibration of the CGM) or do you mainly rely on those reading to manage insulin?

I'm glad to hear it's working for you - how long have you had diabetes? 

Bar&In

Glad she is doing better.

I was diagnosed about 16 months back, shocker to me at the time but is what it is. I felt same about pump in beginning about having something attached to me 24/7 but it makes things so much better (plus insurance at least picks up part of cost unlike CGM). Having both makes day to day routine a breeze, have alarms set if I go low while asleep and doing cardio or playing hockey is much easier with CGM because I can just glance down and get an idea where I'm at and more importantly in which direction and at what speed ( 1 down arrow = dropping and 2 down arrows = rapidly dropping and same other direction).

No I still finger prick especially when administering insulin. It will cut down daily pricks if you calibrate around meal times. Think I went from 10-12 pricks pre CGM to 4 with it.

I've heard nothing but good things in regards to Dexcom.

mom24grlz

Thanks!  She is doing better this eve, other than doctor visits she slept all day.  

I've talked to her about a pump, she is absolutely adamant she doesn't want to wear one but was happy enough with the size of the Dexcom as it was so small.   do you still do any finger prick blood tests (other than calibration of the CGM) or do you mainly rely on those reading to manage insulin?

I'm glad to hear it's working for you - how long have you had diabetes? 

Hi my daughter, Ashleigh is 16 and on the dexcom G4 (we decided to not upgrade to the newest version since you need an iphone and we don't have one)  We like it. Ashleigh said she'd never give up her CGM.  Ashleigh for the most part is hypoglycemic unaware, so the alarms are very beneficial. We have it set to alarm once she drops below 75 and goes above 200.  Ashleigh currently is not on a pump either.  Back in July she told me she was through with pumping and wanted to go back on shots. So far, she hasn't changed her mind about that.  We do not rely on the CGM for numbers, because it can be off. If it alarms i always have Ashleigh check with a finger stick to confirm she is high or low.  We calibrate when the CGM asks for a calibration or if the CGM reading and her meter reading are more than 20% difference.   She still averaged about 10 checks per day.

Mandy99

Glad she is doing better.

I was diagnosed about 16 months back, shocker to me at the time but is what it is. I felt same about pump in beginning about having something attached to me 24/7 but it makes things so much better (plus insurance at least picks up part of cost unlike CGM). Having both makes day to day routine a breeze, have alarms set if I go low while asleep and doing cardio or playing hockey is much easier with CGM because I can just glance down and get an idea where I'm at and more importantly in which direction and at what speed ( 1 down arrow = dropping and 2 down arrows = rapidly dropping and same other direction).

No I still finger prick especially when administering insulin. It will cut down daily pricks if you calibrate around meal times. Think I went from 10-12 pricks pre CGM to 4 with it.

I've heard nothing but good things in regards to Dexcom.

Yeah that must have been a shock.  It must be tough managing diabetes with a sport like Hockey, my daughter did ballet for a while which was easier to manage but it game that up - she got really sick.  thanks for the extra info on the pump and how you use it - I am hoping that's the way she'll use it too - glance it at every now and then and as you say - if she'd rapidly plummeting or getting high then she can excuse herself from what ever she is doing and go test / eat if she needs to etc.  Good tip re the calibrating at meal times - that'll help with less finger pricks.  

Hope it continue to work well for you... we have our appointment with Dexcom today / having spent yesterday and last night fully unsure an anxious about getting one I'm nothing but eager now, really feeling like it'll help her. 

Mandy99

Thanks Mom24grlz - encouraging to hear that GCM and shots (vs pump) work for Ashleigh.  I suspect Rebekah will also need to continue finger pricks but I get the feeling becuase she'll feel more in control it wont be the struggle it is now.  after mulling over this decision for a while now I'm not feeling confident it's the right call to make ... thanks for your comments - much appreciated.  We are off to our Dexcom appointment now :) 

jims_forum

I hope your daughter is doing better.

I am a T2 diabetic who had serious issues and was at 30 strips a day and went on Dexcom.

If you have serious blood glucose control issues; the cgms will get the data you need.

I remained on this for a year and a half. Yes the cost of unit and probes is expensive.

I finally went back to caveman fingerprick machine and 3 strips a day. The data and patterns obtained

by cgms enabled me to work with my Doctor to solve the problems. Today; that data and patterns helps one to

go back to strips and 3 a day. I am on insulin - humalog lispro u-100.

My wish is that we make this in volume and have sensors that could last longer. The CGMS is invaluable and an extremely

helpful tool. Current costs are painful. There are some minor gronks over alarming and alarm sets.

Best wishes and good luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.