Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SueL4

How high of a spike is too high?

SueL4

Since getting back on track, I have a few meals that work well for me and I stick with them. They barely raise my sugar and it gets back down fairly quickly.  A few weeks ago, I started eating VERY nutritious (and delicious) veggie patties that I love. If I eat one, I only get a small spike but two (to make it filling as a meal) can spike me from the 110s to 150s. Within a couple of hours, I'm usually back down. I'm not sure if this is acceptable. I know if I pair it with a protein I'd be better off but I've been 95% vegan and would prefer to stay that way.  I'm also making food choices based on cardiac and thyroid issues. 

How high of a spike do you accept?

Thanks,

Sue

samuraiguy

I go by my A1C because even non-diabetics can have very brief spikes above 150 mg/dl (Christensen CGM studies). In order to keep my A1C under 5.7 I try to live my life 90% of the time under 125 mg/dl. 

SueL4

Thanks for answering. My A1C is in two weeks and I know it will be in the low 6's. For me, a big improvement over my last one. I don't like seeing my meter in the 150s so I guess I have my answer.

TX_Clint

I'd try adding some avocado on that pattie. It would keep with your veggie woe and is high in fat while low in net carbs. The affect should dampen your spike by slowing the digestion. I'd give it a try.

Now for myself I'd just baconate that pattie. :)

jwags

I like to keep my bgs under 140. I prefer vegetarian meals but many spike me to 170 or higher at 1 hour and I tend to stay there for 2-3 hours before coming down. So I am trying to add more meat back into my diet. There are some beans I can eat and some I can't. check the ingredients on the package. I like black bean burgers but 1 patie often spikes me quite high, so I have to eat 1/2.

SueL4

These patties don't have beans so I'm so surprised by the spike. The do have some sweet potato and I guess maybe that's doing it. I'm going to try it with the avocado to see if that helps mitigate the spike.

inglucerant

I already have neuropathy, so I've been on keto since last July. I get nervous when I get up to 120. Generally, I'm able to keep postprandial readings below 110.

Bishop

These numbers and ranges are so good to see!  Much better than the pamphlet guidelines I received around DX time calling out "below 180" for PP readings.   Awesome.  And thank goodness for meters at home, despite some fundamental variance and issues with both precision and accuracy.  Still a net win.  =)

cplca

samuraiguy is right and a 40 point increase post meal would be quite good even for a non diabetic.

Too often people associate rising sugar levels to a "SPIKE" when in reality a post meal reading of

up to 150 or even 160 or higher can be normal even for non diabetic people. The most important

thing is not that much how high you get but how fast your numbers get back down.

Finding good nutritious healthy foods is a great way to go SueL4. There is so many ways to lower

sugar levels, that good nutrition should not be compromised in the process.

Just making sure you're always well hydrated combined with good sleeping habits can reduce your

average BG by 10 to 15 points and adding adding 10 to 15 minutes of cardio to your daily routine

can also greatly improve how quick your numbers go back down.

Your numbers are improving so keep on doing what you do SueL4 and don't be afraid to experiment 

with good healthy foods and produce. 

SueL4

You hit the nail on the head. I don't want to give up a healthy food that I actually enjoy eating. My numbers comes down within a few hours, especially if I eat it during the day for lunch. I know I'm in the minority on the board but I don't find meats and dairy healthy for me and my health needs.

stevenal

I've had to get used to the idea that what many might consider healthy/nutritious is not necessarily so for me, just the same way that those with allergies might not consider peanuts to be a health food. Knowing that some consider 140 to be where organ damage occurs, that meters have a +/-20% tolerance, and that my one hour test may not precisely catch the peak of the curve; I try to keep my numbers below 115, and usually lower.

Seagal

can the patties be fried in coconut oil and then topped with some smashed avocado with some chillies? (guacamole type)

the patties sound good, who makes them?

Re spikes?  I prefer to be under 120 after a meal, doesn't always happen.  The aim is to never go over 140 and has been for 12 years.

SueL4

The patties are Don Lee Organic Veggie Patties. They also make a Superfoods Veggie Patty. They're higher carb than the Dr. Praegers I usually eat but they really agree with me.

I'm going to try the smashed avocado tomorrow. I'm trying to stay away from extra oil because I'm also dieting and have been doing well with that.

I'm on Day 70 of dieting/ lower carbs and I've only gone above 150 a couple of times.

jims_forum

folks:

What do you mean by spikes? This is something badly/poorly explained.

Having watched my blood glucose on caveman fingerprick test strips and dexcon cgms 
I learned some bizarre issues.

First off; the digestive system cannot - not normally jack blood glucose readings very high fast and in fact on my body

these readings could get high but very slowly. The next culprit was the liver with its buffer. It can send those readings high and fast in seconds. In fact the Dexcom could not track those changes fast and only quick use of fingerprick meter could track faster.

Yes, eating wrong foods and too much will eventually see digestive system over time elevate blood glucose levels high. Only the liver in a fast dump survival mode push that bg to 500-max on the caveman machine in minutes.

So when folks ask about spikes - what do they mean.

As a side comment; only a strong enough dose of metformin - standard will see the liver dump nasties arrested.

So what do we mean spikes?

SueL4

I may not have used the right term but what I meant by spike was the number that my meter went to 1-2 hours after eating a higher carb meal.

Seagal

I would call a spike (for me) to be over what I normally get from a 12 carb meal (or 6 for breakfast).  If I normally go to 124 and then get 150 that would be a spike.  But if that happened it would be because I overstretched my carb budget :(

jims_forum

I appreciate the feedback and good comments. The reason I asked to clarify as I have these nasty bizarre spikes

from the liver hammering my body fast which may turn out to be a special case. I also got in to trouble describing my liver

hammering as spikes - which they were but not the spiking from food digestive issues.

My apologies but thanks for clarifications!

SueL4

Seagal,

After a meal, I usually go to 130 or so and then quickly back down. I guess my post showed me my answer. If I stretch my carb allowance, my numbers go up to 150 (or a little beyond).  I'll see how things go today on my regular food.  

art

My happy place is 120 to 150.

I've run for days at 100 to 100 and days at 130-140.

Every once in a while I toss the diet out and go nuts.

I will spike to 200 -220.

20 units of insulin and 2 hours later I'm back at 120.

I've never been close to 300 or even 250.

I'll live with the spike.

Art

SueL4

Art,

I'm not on insulin so there's no adjustment for a spike other than waiting it out.

I spend my day mostly between 110-125 even on very low carb days and we'll see what my A1C brings in a couple of weeks.

Fraser

I am generally in the 80 to 95 range before meals and no higher than 120-130 after. The highest I have seen in years is 150, caused

By some really good fresh bread in a sandwich. ; )

Snow Goose

I am generally in the 80 to 95 range before meals and no higher than 120-130 after. The highest I have seen in years is 150, caused

By some really good fresh bread in a sandwich. ; )

Yeah, that's what my readings have been the last few weeks...though I had a 64 before breakfast this morning.

SueL4

An update for the last week.

As a test, I've added in a few ounces of chicken ( plus leafy greens) almost every day for one meal. My wake- up and before meal numbers have been lower. There's less of a spike when I eat my 2 veggie patties. The animal protein does help my numbers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.