Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leosmith

Ketogenic Diet Video

leosmith

I thought I'd share this video with you because it explained some things to me in very simple terms:

My favorite part was his explanation of high cholesterol when you are low carb, but not low enough to be ketogenic. He says (these are my words) you're eating tons of fat, but your body isn't burning fat as it's primary energy source, so it gets dumped into the bloodstream in the form of dense particles. But when you're in ketosis, you burn up the fat, and that which reaches the blood is in the form of fluffy particles. Sounds like a good theory, which might explain my problem.

mbc1963

From what I've been reading, the cholesterol we EAT is no longer thought to make its way directly into our blood vessels. They've removed cholesterol as a nutrient of concern recently in the US.

I am eating LCHF, and most likely not in ketosis. (I eat probably 15 to 60 carbs in a day - no grains or breads, but sometimes a Kind bar, sometimes some carrots on a salad, sometimes some sauce or dressing that's a bit sweet. You know.) My cholesterol numbers have improved dramatically since I was diagnosed, with or without ketosis. Could be the weight loss? I don't know. But I'm happy that the labwork is al in the healthy range now, with or without my being in ketosis. Those incidental carbs don't seem to be dumping cholesterol into my bloodstream.

moneymeister

That explains quite a few things I wasn't getting quite right before. I need to lose quite a bit of weight. About 6 months ago I loosened up and added a few more carbs back into my diet and found not only did my weight suffer (or weight loss stall) my cholesterol started creeping up. 

leosmith

I am eating LCHF, and most likely not in ketosis. (I eat probably 15 to 60 carbs in a day - no grains or breads, but sometimes a Kind bar, sometimes some carrots on a salad, sometimes some sauce or dressing that's a bit sweet. You know.) 

With those numbers, you might be in ketosis. There are some free keto-calculator sites (like you can see if you are, or you could test, which is definitive but pretty expensive. On the other hand, if all your labs are healthy, you might not be concerned about it. It must be nice to be you :)

OldTech

Pretty good presentation. I have been following a ketogentic diet for just over two years. Very low carbs, moderate protein, and 60-80% fat. Almost all the fat is from animals. I consider vegetable oils toxic except for olive and coconut oil .

My numbers show the results. Just yesterday my blood glucose readings were 72, 87, 79, and 78. The first was fasting. All the others were postprandial. And my ketones? They were 4.2. That's deep ketosis and the highest I have seen. Keep in mind that my carbs are really low. Breakfast is less than 2 grams and dinner is around 5 grams. Also keep in mind that it has taken me two years to get to these levels, but I think that was because I only limited carbs to around 20 grams per day for most of that time. For the past month I dropped carbs to less than 10 grams per day and that has resulted in around a 10 point drop in my blood glucose along with going from mild ketosis to deep ketosis.

comedy

Impressive numbers, OldTech. What time of day did you have the stellar 4.2? I see numbers like that late in the day, but fasting is usually between 1 and 2.

OldTech

The 4.2 reading was at 9:35 pm about 4 hours after dinner. I don't test very often but I will try to do a fasting test tomorrow.

sillygirl

Thanks i found the video very informative!

Old tech with numbers that low routinely are you considering stopping the metformin. I ask because that is my ultimate goal.

OldTech

Thanks i found the video very informative!

Old tech with numbers that low routinely are you considering stopping the metformin. I ask because that is my ultimate goal.

No. First, I tried to drop metformin last summer for a month, and my postprandial numbers went up. Second, I still have diabetes and am still insulin resistance. Three, metformin is reported to be anti-aging, and some people are using that for just that purpose.

Up to a few months ago I too was hoping that I could get off of metformin because going med free sounded like a desirable goal. Now I think that is unwise for drugs that reduce insulin resistance. That includes not only metformin, but ACE inhibitors, ARBs, and other vasodilators. I'm even hoping to add to this list, since I think that excess insulin and insulin resistance is at the root of the metabolic diseases including diabetes, CVD, and even some cancers.

OldTech

I'd be very interested to know the result, OldTech.

Hmm... My ketones this morning are 2.6. So it looks like my ketones are also lower fasting. I wonder why we are both seeing this behavior.

OldTech

The best explanation, that I have found for the higher ketones later in the day is that it is due to eating a high fat meal. So if you are tracking ketones perhaps testing while fasting will provide better evidence of your progress.

Note the evidence for this explanation is anecdotal. I did not find any studies.

comedy

The best explanation, that I have found for the higher ketones later in the day is that it is due to eating a high fat meal. So if you are tracking ketones perhaps testing while fasting will provide better evidence of your progress.

Note the evidence for this explanation is anecdotal. I did not find any studies.

That's my understanding, which is why I've always tested fasting, believing that if I have a good number then, there is no need to test later. The strips are a lot cheaper here than in the US, but still expensive. I pay about AUD7.50 for a box of 10, whereas my glucose strips are AUD2.80 for a box of 100. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.