Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mom24grlz

low carb lasagna

mom24grlz

A friend of mine and her family has been low carbing for years. At least 10+. This week she posted that she was making lasagna, instead of noodles she uses chicken or turkey deli slices. I would never have thought to try that. I've heard of people using vegetables like zucchini in place of noodles but not lunch meat!  But i was having lasagna this week for supper so decided to give her way a try. I bought turkey slices from the deli. The rest of the lasagna was just how I normally cook it. Hamburger meat, spaghetti sauce (got the lowest carb one i could find at Aldi's), cottage cheese, and shredded mozerella + shredded cheddar.  And it tastes...just like lasagna! i can't tell the difference between this and regular lasagna. I actually made a full carb version and this lower carb version. Ashleigh and I both ate the low carb lasagna. I think her slice was 5 carbs total.  I do carb factors so the lower carb version came out to .03 carbs per gram.

predb4

i am sure these recipes taste good, but i think they are often too heavy on the protein, and so i would have to eat a very small piece.

i am tempted to try a pizza recipe i saw which crust was made with cream cheese and eggs.

Moonpie

It does look good, but I will stick to the veggie noodles, as I don't like to much protein in one meal, so if I did the meat slices, as noodles, I'd make the filling with spinach lol

hexex0

Sounds good.  I've done it using layers of thinly sliced Portobello mushrooms, that came out great too.  The key, I've found (with all watery vegetables) is to blast them in a hot, dry oven for a while before layering them in the pan.  Dry them out a bit so they soak up the sauce while baking instead of shedding tons of water.  Good stuff.

mom24grlz

It does look good, but I will stick to the veggie noodles, as I don't like to much protein in one meal, so if I did the meat slices, as noodles, I'd make the filling with spinach lol

i've never had spinach in my lasagna. But it sounds good :)

ant hill

This is just rubbing up against the Italian's nose right up the wrong way, Then again this Traditional dish has us in a tormental spin. Can someone can get my drift?

BUT I would Love to try it!!!! Has anyone have an idea to replace the Beshemal sauce?? I can see doing the Traditional way is indeed carby. Like replacing the pasta sheets I would look at a sauce of some likeness to a Beshemal as it don't have to be the same but a sauce none than the less.

Love the idea and eat some and freeze the rest.

The Bolinaise mix as I still like the Tomatoes and the paste and use either Pork or Beef or Both!! Chomipnong Mushrooms, Broccoli rosettes (Cut like Florettes or Small) as this almost replaces the Mince Meat. A thought for those who want to watch their Protein.

Any Italians, we apologize. :)

Sobriquet

We bake eggplant/aubergine slices in the oven, then (try very hard not to eat them) and use them for lasagna - which i guess kind of makes it moussaka... but everything else is lasagna. (we put mushrooms in the sauce with the ground beef)

Although, baked eggplant/ aubergine by itself is really really yummy and i have to do extra to account for us nibbling away...

Esox

I sometimes do what I call a pizza topping casserole.  Before my diagnosis I was a pizza expert.  I made my own dough and made a number of different types of crusts.  Very scientific with different proofing techniques.  So the one thing I miss most is pizza.

So lately I buy a can of peeled Italian tomatoes.  4 grams of carbs per half cup.  I saute mushrooms, onions, red peppers, whatever.  It's important to get a lot of the water out of the veggies.  I puree the tomatoes and season  that "sauce" with Italian herbs, garlic powder, and Alleppo pepper.  Alleppo pepper is unbelievably good stuff.  It was meant to mix with tomatoes by God I think.  Anyway, I grease a glass casserole dish with olive oil, spread the mushrooms and whatnot in the dish, spread a very thin layer of sauce over those, top with mozzarella, then top that with sausage and pepperoni.  Bake until hot and slightly bubbly, then hit it for a minute or two with the broiler to brown just a bit.  Satisfies my pizza cravings pretty well.

mom24grlz

This is just rubbing up against the Italian's nose right up the wrong way, Then again this Traditional dish has us in a tormental spin. Can someone can get my drift?

BUT I would Love to try it!!!! Has anyone have an idea to replace the Beshemal sauce?? I can see doing the Traditional way is indeed carby. Like replacing the pasta sheets I would look at a sauce of some likeness to a Beshemal as it don't have to be the same but a sauce none than the less.

Love the idea and eat some and freeze the rest.

The Bolinaise mix as I still like the Tomatoes and the paste and use either Pork or Beef or Both!! Chomipnong Mushrooms, Broccoli rosettes (Cut like Florettes or Small) as this almost replaces the Mince Meat. A thought for those who want to watch their Protein.

Any Italians, we apologize. :)

hee hee sorry i'm not italian :) i have german blood in me! my dad was my grandparents first child to be born in America.

Moonpie

I sometimes do what I call a pizza topping casserole.  Before my diagnosis I was a pizza expert.  I made my own dough and made a number of different types of crusts.  Very scientific with different proofing techniques.  So the one thing I miss most is pizza.

So lately I buy a can of peeled Italian tomatoes.  4 grams of carbs per half cup.  I saute mushrooms, onions, red peppers, whatever.  It's important to get a lot of the water out of the veggies.  I puree the tomatoes and season  that "sauce" with Italian herbs, garlic powder, and Alleppo pepper.  Alleppo pepper is unbelievably good stuff.  It was meant to mix with tomatoes by God I think.  Anyway, I grease a glass casserole dish with olive oil, spread the mushrooms and whatnot in the dish, spread a very thin layer of sauce over those, top with mozzarella, then top that with sausage and pepperoni.  Bake until hot and slightly bubbly, then hit it for a minute or two with the broiler to brown just a bit.  Satisfies my pizza cravings pretty well.

Esox you should post his in the recipe forum, sounds wonderful.

Mom 2 4 girls, spinach & vegetable lasagna is very good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.