Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Appetite and LC living

JanetP

I have noticed big changes in my appetite since dropping my carbs to as few as I can manage.  Not only has there been significant weight loss (slowly but steadily . . so far I have dropped 25 pounds in the past 6 months. . . and am still losing weight, very slowly but it is coming off. . . without trying) but I rarely get hungry anymore.

If I cheat and eat something very carby my appetite goes out the roof and I can't get enough to eat.

My daily routine is to have an almond flour muffin or such in the morning with my tea or faux coffee, midday I have my major meal with most of my protein and fat because I am most active in the afternoons, and then have a very light supper and maybe a bedtime snack.

I didn't deliberately plan it this way.  That is just how things have evolved based on when I get hungry or want food.

I find that I have to make myself eat at times whether I am hungry or not, especially in the evenings, in order to avoid liver dumps. 

I was recently yelled at by a nurse from a doctor's office because she thought I should eat more for breakfast and a couple of other professional medical types have asked me if I have an eating disorder when we discuss my diet.

No.  I eat when I am hungry and I eat what appeals to me within the limitations of my way of eating and how my blood sugars respond to various foods.  End of story.

What do you do?  How do you manage?  Has anyone found that they have to make themselves eat something even if they are not hungry in order to keep their blood sugar stable?

samuraiguy

Congrats on the weight loss. My appetite suppressant of choice is 10-12 serving of non-starchy veggies a day. Because of GERDS I eat 5 smaller meals/snacks (only 4 are carby) per day and because of that, I shrunk my appetite and stomach because even on my occasional cheat days I can't even finish a half of the things I used to be able to eat entirely and go for seconds.

Snow Goose

I pretty much eat like you do. Medium size Breakfast, large Lunch and a small dinner. My red meat consumption has really dropped off (wife says " don't you want a burger or a steak tonight ?" and I usually reply "nah, chicken or Turkey sandwich is good").

I usually eat a pretty good size snack in the evening, mixed berries and nuts.

CandaceV

I seldom eat meals, I eat all day until bed, except while at work in the evenings.  I've always eaten that way though, now I eat the right foods.  The only time I eat an entire meal is at a restaurant, which is once a month.  Or a take-out salad.  Last night, I had a small take-out Greek salad, and I was just too full all evening, bloated and belching.

I was born full-term but preemie weight, so I was fed small amounts all day and night long and that's where it comes from.  I just get too full from meals.  According to my testing, my BG's are around 10 pts. lower and keeps spikes to a minimum eating a bite here and a bite there.  I just don't like that full feeling.  I've tried, more than once.  If I had to eat meals every day, I'd be miserable.

I work 4 hours/night, 5 nights/week, and don't eat while at work.  I enjoy the empty feeling too, it's not a hungry feeling.  I drink unsweetened tea during my break and that's it.  And I work in a grocery store!  Being around the food doesn't bother me at all.

dowling gram

Congrats Janet on the weight loss.

I eat a similar breakfast to you only only I add flax to my muffin or whatever I'm having. I need the calories in flax to keep my weight stable. I don't have a large lunch or dinner but I do have snacks between meals and in the evening.

When first diagnosed I went very low carb and the weight just fell off. I lost 40 pounds in 2 months. It was not a diet I could stick to and I didn't want to lose more weight so I made some adjustments and am quite satisfied with the results. My weight is stable and so is my BG.

I do have to watch my protein levels because I'm not a great meat eater. Small portions of eggs and chicken or turkey or fish with the odd bit of red meat are mostly my protein sources.

I usually have some small sweet low carb snack as day.

The snacking usually fills the void and so I don't feel I have to eat when I'm not hungry. My snacks are usually something I like so feeling hungry to eat them is not why I eat. In fact I seldom feel hungry except in the morning.

The one who criticized your breakfast has probably never had a low carb muffin in a mug. I am quite satisfied after my muffin and when you consider the ingredients that go into it, it is equivalent to an egg and toast.

Keep on keeping on Janet and don't listen to the nay sayers

TX_Clint

I also do not get hungry often. When I snack it's usually just out of boredom and not hunger. A 1/2 cup of pecans does it for me. The weight loss isn't quite as good as I'm only losing about a pound or two a month. However, the lchf woe is very satisfying to me and I wouldn't want to change.

jwags

I eat very similar and find I have to force myself to eat. I am losing way too much weight on LCHF but if I add tha carbs to gain weight, bgs spike high. I found over the holidays I ate higher carb and my hunger switch didn't turn off. I did gain almost 4 pounds but now have lost 5. I wish I had an answer. I know I am going to get yelled at, at my next appointment. I either need to eat more at meals and add insulin or stay LC and continue to lose weight.

Java

i eat what i eat when i eat it

if i stay low carb then, unless i'm hormonal, my appetite isn't insane ~ my body does really well at 30 carbs or less per day but then i find i need some glucose tabs here and there

if my BGs are too low at bedtime and i know i'll have a liver dump/sweat fest during the night i'll either have a small snack or just eat 2-3 glucose tabs to bring me up

jwags

While LC has helped me lose weight it does 't do anything to lower bgs much under 100. I have never had to use my glucose tabs. As soon as my bg drops in the low 100's I get a liver dump which lasts for hours.

predb4

I was recently yelled at by a nurse from a doctor's office because she thought I should eat more for breakfast and a couple of other professional medical types have asked me if I have an eating disorder when we discuss my diet.

What do you do?  How do you manage?  

I lie to the nurse.

i tell her what i eat for breakfast plus 1 slice of whole wheat bread or oat meal.  

i wait for the day they tell em: it is the bread, cut it out.

predb4

While LC has helped me lose weight it does 't do anything to lower bgs much under 100. I have never had to use my glucose tabs. As soon as my bg drops in the low 100's I get a liver dump which lasts for hours.

I am like this too, have never had a low, and i think my lowest bs reading ever was 83.

Bishop

No.  I eat when I am hungry and I eat what appeals to me within the limitations of my way of eating and how my blood sugars respond to various foods.  End of story.

What do you do?  How do you manage?  Has anyone found that they have to make themselves eat something even if they are not hungry in order to keep their blood sugar stable?

I still struggle with this mentally.  I'm rarely hungry and it still feels odd to me to skip a meal because I'm not hungry.  Not hungry at all.  It's even more scary before any sort of "exercise" I do - I feel like I should be getting some fuel in my stomach beforehand.  In the past, I'd force myself to eat something.  And there's also the "never skip breakfast because it's the most important meal of the day" mantra I grew up with I have to push aside.

But as time goes on, and things seem to be going in the right direction, I'm slowly becoming okay with it.  The extreme feedback from a subset of folks tells me significant long term metabolic damage is occurring, so I try to maintain a balanced perspective despite good numbers on paper (good FBG, good BG, feeling good, performing well, good labs, etc.).

It does make IF much easier though, during the few times I've decided to use that tool from the toolbox.

Esox

Prior to diagnosis I almost never ate during the day.  I would eat one gigantic meal for dinner.  And bad stuff.  Lots of bread pizza, burger buns, fries, potatoes.  I lived in carb city.  Then many nights I would eat cookies, ice cream, pie cake.  Dessert for me was a carb vacation.  Not surprising I guess that at diagnosis my FBG was 335.  I was prescribed 500 mg Metformin twice a day, and told to watch my carbs, I went down to less than 20 a day with no guidance, and to come back in four weeks.  I was also told I could "Live my life."  Pizza and cake once in a while was acceptable.  Then I saw a dietitian in the meantime and was basically told I could eat 30 carbs each for breakfast and lunch, and could likely get by with up to 60 to 75 carbs for dinner.  Two snacks and whatnot, we've all heard it. I was pretty happy and followed that for a bit.  The Metformin and fewer carbs, yes that was a big decrease for me, lowered my BG, but I would be 140 to 200ish.  I started to read forums and articles, and realized that was crazy.  Had my first A1c at that next appointment and it was 9.2.  The doctor said that was good progress, come back in three months, lose weight, and I could "Live my life."  Oh, and I should test three times a week.

A few weeks later I learned enough to know that was nuts.  I talked to the nurse practioner at the free clinic I have available that I wanted to test a lot and go low carb and she said go for it.  Wrote a prescription for 300 strips, the most my insurance would go for.  I also bought a ReliOn Prime and now test like crazy with two meters.

Wow, I really wandered off track.  I starting eating two eggs, two sausage patties, an a slice of cheese in the morning, then an early dinner, 5:00 to 6:00, ranging in carbs from 30-50ish.  I liked the two meals a lot better than multiple times.  As I learned more, I realized I was likely taking in too much protein.  Weight loss stalled for a bit.  I had my second A1c on 1/4/16 and it was 6.2.  Better but not what I want.  

I had learned more about how some people fast and have started doing that.  Over the last two weeks I find myself only eating dinner three times a week.  Losing the morning meal has not left me hungry, has lowered my daily protein intake, and I've increased my plant based fat. I'm an avocado boy.  Carbs still 30 to 50ish.  My BG hardly moves after dinner.  Sometimes it goes down both 1 and 2 hours after eating.  I've lost four pounds after being stalled, and my BG has improved, depending on which stupid meter I use, I am 85 to 120 all day, even after I eat.  My highest numbers are DP numbers.  I wake up from 120 to 140, but this starts going down after I'm up and take the Metformin.  It does not keep going up.  Though the FBG numbers have been going down, too, and I've seen three between 109 and 118 over the last four days.  Sometimes I eat a few nuts, olives, or radishes as a snack at night.

So if you've read all that, you're likely saying what the crap did this guy just say.  I feel like I wrote myself into a canyon.  I guess what I'm saying is I like to eat once a day, and I've been getting back to it similar to pre-diagnosis for at least half the week, only with much better foods.  My BG has not suffered and has even improved, I've been exercising every day, and my FBG numbers have improved.  Now If I only knew which stupid meter to trust.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.