Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sillygirl

A REALLY Stupid Idea!!!!!

sillygirl

So i am thinking about taking a mini vacation locally to that other park without the mouse. HEHE! I know if i visit the mouse they are very accommodating to dietary restrictions. The other park not so much. I am currently well controlled (IMHO) with diet and metformin. I am afraid at the park i might eat something that is high in carbs and shoot my bg to the moon. Would it be a stupid idea to ask my doctor for a fast acting insulin to use during my mini vacation.i have been reading articles about salads that have 100's of carbs in them. I am a bit afraid of hidden carbs, and not so hidden carbs i might cheat with!!!

Snow Goose

I am not sure....others might chime in and give you good advice.

I would call or email the doctor and see what he/she says.

When I first started the Lantus the Pharmacist did not give me the needles ...DUH !!. Could not take my morning injection. 

Luckily I had an appointment that morning, got the script for the needles and the doc gave me a fast acting shot to tie me over...

JohnSchroeder

As a type 1 who does insulin regularly, this doesn't seem too crazy to me.  A few words of warning though.  You wouldn't want to start taking a fast acting insulin for the first time at a theme park.  Not knowing the proper dosage or tolerance you have for it combined with the exertion that comes with walking around a theme park is just asking for trouble.  You'd want to experiment with dosages a week or two before.

Next, depending on the type of insulin you get... stuff isn't cheap.  So you'd have to do the math and cost/benefit for yourself there given that you are considering it for a single trip to a theme park.

funkynassau

I think it's a good idea, as long as you do start taking it before your vacation to see how you react to it.  All your doc can do is say no if he thinks it's a bad idea.

dowling gram

If you are well controlled I wouldn't fool with it. I'd take my own food and contact the park to see if they allowed you to bring your own food. Explain that you are on a special doctor ordered diet--even if it's not true, lie a bit. If you can get a hold of the parks menus there might be something that you can eat too. If you are staying overnight bring a cooler and eat at local restaurants after the park activities. You are more likely to find something you can eat instead of fast food places. An insulated lunch bag or one that holds a six pack of sodas should be easy to carry into the park to keep your food fresh. Pack some leaf lettuce or low carb tortillas. You can buy a hamburger or hot dog, throw away the bread and use the lettuce or tortilla instead. Put cheese, meats, nuts, raw veggies and other low carb things in the lunch bag so you have something to munch on as well as for lunch. With a little planning you can still keep your diet without going the insulin route.

Have fun

Sobriquet

I would go with dowling gram's idea - in theory you should be able to get a salad or similar (without dressing - if you're looking for hidden carbs, that's normally the culprit) and wrap it up in your own tortilla or just eat it as is. Personally i take my own low carb cracker bread to things i know will have a lot of bread around them, then just steal the filling.

I find that there are normally lower carb alternatives, but they are more expensive - usually because they are healthier!! Although I'm on insulin - if i'm doing a city tour, or theme park or hiking or whatever, i don't like to mess around with too much insulin - the results can be fairly chaotic. I've been caught out after a lunch followed by a lot of walking around on more than one occasion - so now i try to low carb it and only inject a little or not at all if we're hiking...

But that's just me... if you do go the insulin route - definitely try it out before you go, and make sure you have something with you in case it takes you too low - crowds, walking - all that stuff makes my bg go down way more than even just normal shopping does.

Moonpie

If you have a splurge & run high for an hour or two, it is not the end of the World.Taking your own food is great, but if you really want to eat some carbs, go for it, & walk lots afterwards, it might not be as bad as you fear. 

comedy

How many days are we talking about here? When I travel and stay overnight or for several days, I take a supply of unsalted mixed nuts, without peanuts and (preferably) cashews, and also some pure cream, and have nuts and cream for breakfast, then a basic salad (usually called a garden salad here) with some protein for lunch, and eat at a carefully selected restaurant for dinner. I've managed to travel for up to three weeks doing that, and only just dipped below 0.5 mmol/L on my ketone meter.

When I go out for the day while away, I always take a container of the nuts with me in case there's nothing suitable available for lunch. This happens on occasion when on day bus tours into the bush, but not likely to happen to you at a theme park.

If you haven't taken insulin in the past, then the doctor, if he/she agrees at all, will prescribe a very small dose to make sure you don't go low.

My suggestion is to take some non-perishable food with you, then not stress if you find yourself needing to eat one or two carby meals. Just enjoy yourself and get back into your meal groove as soon as you get back. It's not going to do you irreparable damage.

Gladtobehere

OMG.    I feel obligated to mention that cotton candy is a sugar only item.

Don,t start insulin just to accomadate a vacation!

Don.t be stupid about what you eat!

Have a little fun and if your BG runs a little high don,t worry a few days wont kill you.

Sure you could carry a few items to eat that are known.   Salads with 100s of carbs?????? Really?????   If you can,t spot a 100 carb salad then you are not a carb counter.

jwags

SInce I have been diabetic I have taken many vacations in many parts of the world. I am only on metformin and my bgs did run higher the 2 or 3 weeks of vacation, but that was not the end of the world. I also travel with a stash of low carb energy. Bars, nuts, WASA crackers and peanut butter. If your hotel room has a mini fridge bring cheese sticks, greek yogurt or deli meat. I do OK at breakfast buffets, they always have eggs and bacon or sausage. Breakfast buffets overseas were a little challenging because they did have pastries. The carbs in a salad would come from the dressing. You can buy individual packets of Walden's 0 carb salad dressing at Netrition, online. Just throw a couple in your purse or backpack and order your salad without dressing. I would not use insulin just for a vacation.There is an oral drug called Prandin that you use at meals. I have been trying to get it from my Endo for vacations. But she is hesitant because of hypos.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.