Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jims_forum

warfarin and other blood thnners

jims_forum

I was interested in experience and issues using blood thinners from warafin, xarelto, pradaxa et all.

The new blood thinners are very expensive and few have antidotes to reverse the anti clotting

feature in emergency.

I  was interested in others experience in this matter!

comedy

I'm just on 100mg aspirin a day. I don't want any more thinning than that, because I bleed like a stuck pig when I bump sharp things. I've found I need to carry a small packet of tissues with me even when I just go food shopping.

Orlando

Following a bout of atrial fibrillation I was put on Wafarin, found it very limiting re food choices and the constant need to test blood clotting properties. I then moved on to Pradaxa [at my own expense ie ca 100$ a month] and finally Plavex. Now Ijust take 100 mg of Aspirin .

jims_forum

I'm just on 100mg aspirin a day. I don't want any more thinning than that, because I bleed like a stuck pig when I bump sharp things. I've found I need to carry a small packet of tissues with me even when I just go food shopping.

Ann: Thank you for sharing.  In Dec 2007 ; I had stroke and damage kept to min.

At that time ; I was put on 320 mg aspirin.

My neurologist pointed out that aspirin was good in the brain and helps the blood move easier.

Fast forward to today and my new doctor recently noticed I had a rogue spare beat and sent me to cardiologists to check out.

Well sure enough I did - rest of heart was fine but to resolve this issue with AFIB requires an anti clotting agent such as coumadin/wafarin - or the new trick stuff. So here I is on an anticlotting agent along with low dose aspirin for my brain.

As you indicate aspirin helps making blood run easier and the other agents really loosen it up.

So hence I am asking!

ant hill

Hello Jim, I also had a Stroke in Dec 06 and I gave up Warfarin. I noticed some very sticky clear puss somewhere on my shin and my doc said just take this cream as that was $12 each for 30Mg with Statins and a Heart Med too.

I have stopped taking these meds as I was shouted at from my doctor. I Tritated off the Warfarn over a month and quit seeing that doctor.

The new doctor just have me on Vitamin D and also C as that's Berocca.

The sticky goo stopped and my legs feel so much better!!

mbc1963

My sister had her aortic valve replaced 5 years ago. She can only take Warfarin to prevent clots; the newer ones aren't approved for use with valve replacements. My sister has to have her INR checked all the time, and it varies wildly. She's always having to stop eating greens for a while to get her numbers stabilized. It's a tightrope! She also bruises easily, though she always did.

I tell her that between her and me (low carb) we make a ridiculous pair when we order out.

ant hill

I tell her that between her and me (low carb) we make a ridiculous pair when we order out.

Yes as that's the Other Issue as drugs that we use just messes with what food that we eat. I drove my doctor mad over not to eat greens as then I was drinking the Mean Green and the INR Team just went besurk!!!!!!!!! Then the doctor rang and I got shouted down. At that point I just Quit!!! I tritated down the doses and that was it. :(

jims_forum

Anthill/Peter:

Special thanks to you and the others who responded with their info, feedback and interactions wth warfarin.

As it turns out, Vitamin K is the antidote for reversing warfarin/coumodin. Green vegetables are loaded with vitamn K 

and thusly one must eat same consistent amounts of said stuff. Real Joy. Therefore Food restrictions and lab tests are the order

of the day for warfarin.

As a result; elisys, xarelto, pradaxa were developed to get the food interaction and lab tests out of picture.

After much checking on web; I was informed that while the 3 new drugs appear to perform similarly; the method of removal from body is different. The issue being how well your kidneys are working. For us type 2's and diabetics - this is not a minor issue.

Elisys - liver removes 60% and kidneys - balance. The data I have suggests that xarelto and pradaxa use kidneys to strip drug out

like metformin. While food restrictions are not issue, kidney performance is controlling concentration in blood.

I suppose it is only life that there is always room for fun and games - exceptions.

The one priceless  tongue in cheek comment I came across was that the good news was yes we now have alternatives with the new drugs. The bad news is the new drugs kill the patient as effectively as the current - old one - warfarin!

Apparently; warfarin has been around 50 years while these new ones release dates from 2010 forward.

Cheers and thanks!

Yes as that's the Other Issue as drugs that we use just messes with what food that we eat. I drove my doctor mad over not to eat greens as then I was drinking the Mean Green and the INR Team just went besurk!!!!!!!!! Then the doctor rang and I got shouted down. At that point I just Quit!!! I tritated down the doses and that was it. :(

ant hill

Anthill/Peter:

Special thanks to you and the others who responded with their info, feedback and interactions wth warfarin.

As it turns out, Vitamin K is the antidote for reversing warfarin/coumodin. Green vegetables are loaded with vitamn K 

and thusly one must eat same consistent amounts of said stuff. Real Joy. Therefore Food restrictions and lab tests are the order

of the day for warfarin.

Just a thought to ween off Wafarin as you do this gradually as I have done over a month. There is a documentary that green vegetables does something to the artiral wall of the artey as this makes insulin to work better and efficiently. If you like a drink of alcohol? Don't!!!! This will make the BG's to fall rapidly. I would think that they would say this before you start taking warfarin. So taking large amount of Vit K does the same thing! and buy doing this will piss of doctors so be warned.

All the Best Jim. ;):)

jims_forum

Anthill/Peter:

The part about booze - what a bummer. That is something I always have to watch;  be it high blood pressure pills

or the other stuff. Even with metformin one has to be careful. And I love a good drink!

Cheers!

Cora

Hi Jim. I've been on warfarin for several years now. It's sort of a cascade thing with me. Chronic use of one drug, needed for one condition (no options) has made me prone to blood clots (I've had a fem-pop bypass). I've had no problems with the warfarin or the dietary aspects. My thrombosis doc has pointed out that I can do a couple of things. Eat the high-vitamin K stuff (like kale, broccoli) in small amounts on a regular basis, avoid them entirely, or eat a small amount once in a while. All three options are viable and won't affect you too much. Also, I'm able to afford a coaguchek machine. It's like a glucose meter but checks your INR (wararin level). Unfortunately the machine is  pricey and the strips are 6 bucks a pop. But since my levels are labile even at the best of times, I can check when I need to and my docs allow me to play with my dose (within reason) as long as I check in with them and confirm. I like the fact that stuffing my face with a nice dark green veggie or heading to the ER for some vitamin K can prevent/treat any emergency bleeds (it's never happened, but just in case....).

Orlando

Hi Jim. I've been on warfarin for several years now. It's sort of a cascade thing with me. Chronic use of one drug, needed for one condition (no options) has made me prone to blood clots (I've had a fem-pop bypass). I've had no problems with the warfarin or the dietary aspects. My thrombosis doc has pointed out that I can do a couple of things. Eat the high-vitamin K stuff (like kale, broccoli) in small amounts on a regular basis, avoid them entirely, or eat a small amount once in a while. All three options are viable and won't affect you too much. Also, I'm able to afford a coaguchek machine. It's like a glucose meter but checks your INR (wararin level). Unfortunately the machine is  pricey and the strips are 6 bucks a pop. But since my levels are labile even at the best of times, I can check when I need to and my docs allow me to play with my dose (within reason) as long as I check in with them and confirm. I like the fact that stuffing my face with a nice dark green veggie or heading to the ER for some vitamin K can prevent/treat any emergency bleeds (it's never happened, but just in case....).

I just noted below your post that you were diagnosed T1 in 1966, ie 50 years ago !!! thats something really very special. I am sure that it has not always easy, anyway please accept my admiration and congratulations. 

Cora

I just noted below your post that you were diagnosed T1 in 1966, ie 50 years ago !!! thats something really very special. I am sure that it has not always easy, anyway please accept my admiration and congratulations. 

Thanks. I've applied for my Joslin Medal and just found out through submitting the paperwork that my Diaversary is Feb 7.

ant hill

Anthill/Peter:

The part about booze - what a bummer. That is something I always have to watch;  be it high blood pressure pills

or the other stuff. Even with metformin one has to be careful. And I love a good drink!

Cheers!

Aww I am sorry Jim,

I also like the fine drop too as this Vitamin will make drinking a little more of knowing whare you are on how drunk you can be with the BG drop. I would think that you know about night clubs were just convineiantly across the road from a Suverlaki or Carb plaice and wondered whare's the money??

I still think if you want to drink please have something nice to go with it. For us we have to watch what we eat and also the Alcohol. Please Test!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.