Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bubbarino

A1C 7.4

Bubbarino

Hi all,

Just got my latest labs. A1C was 7.4, doctor hasn't called me in...should I worry? Was 7.1 previously and I'm currently on Metformin

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums. By CDC statistics every full point of A1C over 5.4 exponentially raises risk for complications, but the good new is that isn't horribly high and adjusting a few things (diet, exercise, medication dosage and timing, losing any extra weight) can probably get it under 6.5 by next time.

don1942

7.1 to 7.4 is not a large jump. I agree with Samuraiguy that you need to review your diet and exercise programs to get your A1c below 7.1 on your next test. Diabetes control is not a quick overnight process. It often takes months or even years to get all your ducks in a row.

jwags

How much metformin are you currently taking? How many carbs do you eat per meal? Lots of things may be responsible for the increase. Many of us tend to overeat a little during the holidays and it will show up in our HbA1 c. I would contact your doctor and ask him if you might need to add another med or increase your dose.

LarryD

An A1c of 7.1 represents an average daily blood sugar level over the past 2-3 months  of ~157 mg/dL and a 7.4 is ~166.   This isn't a significant increase, however the A1c test is a tool for your doctor and is an indicator of how well you are managing your diabetes.  

It's too late to worry about the number today, it's time to begin looking at your diet and exercise so you can demonstrate better progress the next time.   :)

stevenal

Yes, you should worry; but more importantly you should take action. I was diagnosed at 7.2 in 2013, and that was too late to prevent the cataracts. Look around the forum to see what works.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.