Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Esox

A1c question

Esox

I would guess A1c questions are likely a bit tiring considering their frequency, but I have one I'd like to ask.

I had my second A1c test on 1/4/16.  It was 6.2 after a first test of 9.2 in early October.  I was diagnosed early September with a FBG of 335.  I had not spoken to the doctor since the 1/4/16 blood work, but had an appointment today to discuss my diabetes progress and an increase in cholesterol since my diagnosis.  He's excited with my progress.  I've even lost 7 more pounds since my 1/4 appointment.  This gets me to my question.  His lab printout shows the 6.2 A1c translates to an average BG of 120.  I've utilized online charts and converters, and I was under the impression a 6.2 indicates an average BG of 132. When I asked, all he could say was according to the lab they use, 6.2 translates to 120.  I'm certainly not satisfied with that, but the first three or four weeks of that A1c included the three meals and two snacks a day whatnot, and much more limited testing.  That has changed significantly since then.  Though that got dang DP is a pain in my BG.

So my question is do some labs calculate/convert A1c data to average BG differently?  I notice the tool on this site translates 6.2 to 143.  I thought it was pretty standardized.  One thing about being diabetic.  It keeps me confused.

As for the cholesterol, I went in ready to wrestle him in expectation of him wanting to prescribe a statin, but instead he praised the increase in HDL, the decrease in Triglycerides, and stated the more minor increase in my LDL bears watching.  "Come see in me in four months.  Keep doing what you're doing."

Hopefully I didn't write myself into a canyon in this post, that it makes sense.

NoraWI

I have learned from the T2s on this Forum that eating lc does tend to raise cholesterol at the beginning. It also raises the HDL substantially. I assume that you are now limiting the carbohydrates you are eating. Keep at it and it'll all work out for the better in a few weeks or months. As to your question regarding A1c and BG averages, I have seen great variations in the charts. Frankly, I don't think it makes much difference in the end. In any case, congratulations, you are doing very well.

samuraiguy

The CDC has adopted the Eag formula (eAG = (28.7 X A1C) - 46.7) and is pushing to use it for diagnosis and lab reports instead of the A1C because a score of 6.2 doesn't mean as much to a meter user than having an average BG of 131 mg/dl for example.

dowling gram

Why bother trying to convert your A1C to the average reading. It only gets confusing when different procedures are used. All I need to know is if my A1C is under 6 it is good. How can you have diabetic standards when the Diabetic associations don't know what they are talking about and most doctors know very little about treating diabetes.

In my opinion we are on our own. I know that if my daily readings are in my acceptable range and my A1C confirms it that I'm Ok and that's all that concerns me.

Congrats on lowering your BG and as your doctor said--keep on keeping on. You are doing good

Seagal

You are doing well, keep it up and see the benefits continue!

I'm thinking the meter averages & A1c will be like the question of the ages and will never get figured out :D   

predb4

i think the formulas changed at a certain time, if you search the internet you will find the two formulas.

i treat the two measurements as correlated.  Set an A1c goal with the help of your doctor, and set daily goals for yoursefl.

your a1c is much improved since last time. well done.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.