Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leosmith

How much nuts do you eat?

leosmith

I was a little hesitant to add nuts to my diet because previously I found them very addictive, and they seemed to upset my stomach. But now I really enjoy them, and seem to be handling them very well. I'd like to increase the amount I'm eating, so I'm curious about how much you eat. I'm hoping you give me an approximate weight, because "a fistful" or "1/4 cup" are a little harder to figure out.

The FDA suggests 1.5oz (42gm) per day may be able to reduce the risk of heart disease. I've been eating 50-60gm/day, and would like to increase it enough to remove some of the added oil in my diet.

TX_Clint

Check the carb count on the nuts you eat. I generally stick to pecans and walnuts. Low carb and satisfying. Stay away from peanuts, they aren't nuts. Cashews are even worse. Both peanuts or cashews impact my bg.

comedy

I stick to macadamias because of the high fat and low protein and carb content. They're also filling, so 10-15g a day is plenty. I sometimes go a week or so without eating any. A 1kg packet I started in mid-October is down to about 60g.

But I also consume varying amounts of almonds as meal/flour in crackers and bread, and as butter added to my crackers, on top of actual dairy butter. I can't quantify those amounts, unfortunately. If I have crackers with butter and almond butter, the amount of almond butter would be between 1.5 and 2 table spoons (20mL tablespoons, the Australian standard measure) on two crackers.

In the past week or so I've also consumed 100g of hazelnuts, over a six day period.

I find that this amount of nuts, always consumed with other products, have little to no effect on my BG, which stays in a very narrow range on my keto woe.

notme

I can eat just about all types of nuts with little impact on my blood sugars. I eat a lot of pine nuts, almonds, cashews, macadamias sunflower seeds and pecans. I probably eat way more than the recommended amount....way, way more than the recommended amount. After awhile it can distress your stomach if you are not careful.

adiantum

When I'm in the eating through boredom mode, I toast pine nuts & nibble on them one at a time.

Macadamias & cashews are my favourites but Ive had to limit the cashews for their carb count.

Kit

I normally eat around 1-2 oz a day.  Mostly almonds and pecans.  A little less often walnuts.

Go for the raw nuts instead of roasted salted.  If the nuts are roasted, I find it a lot more difficult to stop eating them.  :)

samuraiguy

I have nuts and seeds of all kinds mostly in the form of butters and they have no impact on my BG in even large quantities because the carbs are offset by high fiber and slowed by fat. If you are looking to lose weight be wary that just one tablespoon nut butter (1/4 cup whole nuts) is about 100 calories. This is one of those personal things so let your meter and weight loss or gain be your guide on daily amounts.

Esox

I buy these wasabi macadamias, crush them, and sprinkle them on a mixed greens, scallions, tomato, and radish salads with a sesame ginger dressing to which I add a small amount of soy/wasabi mix.  I usually eat this with seared rare ahi tuna, and drizzle the dressing and sprinkle the crushed macadamias on that, too.  One of my favorite things to eat since diagnosis.  Barely moves my BG, if at all..  

dowling gram

I eat nuts by their carb count not by weight although to figure the carb count you'd have to go by weight. Then I'm not exact in the amount and eat them by the handful at a time which amounts to 2 to 4 carbs depending on how big a handful. However when I'm buying raw nuts I stick to pecans and walnuts because they are what I like and low in carbs. I find almonds too hard for my teeth. I roast the nuts myself for flavor and to soften them a little.

I suggest  you look at the carb count on the nuts you like and buy and determine how many carbs you want to have in a serving of nuts. Then you'll know how much to eat at a time

Orlando

28 grams of pecans and 28 grams of hazelnuts per day. BEWARE OF SALTED ROASTED NUTS, they cannot be eaten by weight , only by container load.

William V

Up to 70 almonds per day. Usually 20 per serving for about 6 carbs. As far as nuts go 2nd highest? In choline.

pine nuts sound interesting. Might give then a test. Better choline levels but shorter shelf life?

jims_forum

Adiantum:

Great comments. I have been told that macadamia nuts oil is even better for one than olive oil.

I also love cashews but your comments and others seems on target.

The other nuts I like is home made roasted pecans and smoked almonds.

I gave up on walnuts as they always give me canker sores in my mouth!

Cheers!

When I'm in the eating through boredom mode, I toast pine nuts & nibble on them one at a time.

Macadamias & cashews are my favourites but Ive had to limit the cashews for their carb count.

adiantum

William, I stock up on pine nuts when theyre on special as theyre quite expensive. If the use by date is getting close, I store them in the freezer.

They freeze well & toast just the same.

I also store cheese in the freezer for the same reason

leosmith

FYI (from cron-o-meter) for 25g of roasted nuts:

Net Carbs, Fiber, Omega 6, SFA, Energy

Walnuts 2.7 1.8 8.9 1.3 161

Almonds 2.5 2.7 3.2 1 150

Cashews 7.4 0.8 1.9 2.3 144

Macadamias 1.2 2 0.3 3 179

Brazil nuts 1.2 1.9 5.1 3.8 164

Hazelnuts 2.1 2.4 2.1 1.1 162

Pistachio 4.7 2.5 3.3 1.4 141

Pine nuts 2.3 0.9 8.4 1.2 168

Pecans 1 2.4 4.9 1.6 178

Sorry about the bad formatting, but you get the picture.

Bar&In

I put 1.5 servings (42 g) of walnuts on each salad I make so it's only an extra 6 carbs but the culprit is cals (1.5 serve almost has 300 cals). Probably wouldn't even eat salad if it wasn't for nuts, makes them bearable 3x daily.

jwags

Most nuts are less than 5 carbs a serving. A serving is normally around 1/4 cup. I eat 1-2 servings a day. But I also eat a lot of things made from nut flours which increases that amount.

Moonpie

I buy the raw walnuts, in the bulk bins. I eat about 5 or 6 mid afternoon. Now I will be on the look out for pine nuts.

Bishop

I eat a ton of pecans via one of the fat bomb recipes on this forum and eat between 77-105g of macadamia nuts almost daily.  Well not really, but it seems like it.  I love cashews too, but have had to cut back a lot since that does seem to move my BG more than I like.

I've found nuts to be a great snack and they feel a lot less processed than the usual power/protein bars I used to eat.  Don't eat those at all now because I don't miss them at all.  Strange, but seems to work for me, for now.

Seagal

According to the count from leosmith, it looks like pine nuts and walnuts have the highest count of omega 6 pufas.  I wasn't aware of that for walnuts :(

I've been using pecans in my baking for a while, but still have walnuts in the freezer.

Used to pick the pine nuts out of the cones from the trees when I was a kid.  I don't seem them offered here or at least I haven't looked.

leosmith

According to the count from leosmith, it looks like pine nuts and walnuts have the highest count of omega 6 pufas.  I wasn't aware of that for walnuts :(

Yeah, the paleo bloggers that I read warn against them. On the other hand, the MIND diet says they're sort of a superfood for protecting against Alzheimers. I'll probably eat them on occasion, provided I can find a good source for roasted ones. 

mbc1963

I eat a LOT of nuts. Planters has a "heart-healthy" mix I like that has pistachios, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, and peanuts. I keep a tin at work so I can eat some if I get hungry mid-morning.

Everyone I work with comments that they can't keep nuts around because of the temptation, but I find that since going LCHF and giving myself permission to eat them, they don't tempt me much anymore. I can easily eat a handful without wanting to finish the whole tin.

(This is also likely linked to the fact that I'm not STARVING on LCHF like I used to be on every other diet I tried throughout my life!)

Uff Da

I usually have either peanuts or some type of nut open at one time, rarely both, so on days I'm eating peanuts, I rarely also eat nuts. As a type 1, essentially everything I eat has an impact on my BG, so I always weight my servings in order to more accurately tell if the carbs match the amount I've allowed myself in my last bolus. I usually eat one or two ounces of either nuts or peanuts daily. When I'm eating nuts, the most frequent choice is walnuts. I used to eat almonds pretty regularly, but since I had braces put on my teeth again back in February, they are just too hard to handle. My orthodontist really doesn't want me eating other nuts or peanuts, either, but I just can't help myself. They taste so good!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.