Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leosmith

How much nuts do you eat?

Orlando

Each day I now eat 80 grams of nuts, 40 of macadamia and 40 of pecans as a morning snack. Both unroasted, I just add a little salt to tart them up a bit. If they were roasted I would lose all control.

This morning I tested to see if they influence my blood glucose values, the results were as follows.

Base line reading, 82mg/dl

after one hour 82 mg/dl

after two hours 81 mg/dl

after three hours 75 mg/dl

Of all the foods I have tried, this "snack" is by far the most effective against hunger pangs. By the time lunch [ my last meal for the day] comes around I am no longer ravenous and that suits me very well. 

mystiquarte

I love eating nuts and I eat 30 grams per day, most days ... they are the perfect snack and because I can't eat seafood it's also a way for me to get Omega 3s
I eat mostly Almonds

Orlando

I love eating nuts and I eat 30 grams per day, most days ... they are the perfect snack and because I can't eat seafood it's also a way for me to get Omega 3s

I eat mostly Almonds

Almonds are very very low in Omega 3 fatty acids, http://www.paleoflip.com/nuts-which-ones-to-eat-and-which-ones-to-avoid/

Another reference, showing that almonds have ZERO omega 3 per 100 grams,https://authoritynutrition.com/foods/almonds/

LaRue

I'm enjoying combining macadamia and brazil nuts.

I do a lot of mailing (sell on ebay) so I have a postage scale nearby all the time. I've moved it to the kitchen. Easy enough to get a 50/50 ratio.

the brazil is higher in omega 6, the macadamia is low. So, they balance out to a middle of the road amount.

Plus, brazil is relatively cheap, macadamia is expensive. So that balances out too.

Some days I'll eat none, others I'll have an ounce, or maybe 2 if I snack on some, and mix more into a meal.

Mac

I eat tons of almonds and drink almond milk, no effect on my numbers (probably helps that they take the place of some added oil cow juice in my recipes!)

Another reference, showing that almonds have ZERO omega 3 per 100 grams,https://authoritynutrition.com/foods/almonds/

Thank you Orlando!  I didn't realize that...   luckily I'm already in the habit of mixing flax and chia seeds into my dishes wherever I can do it :)

ShottleBop

I keep TJ's "Just a handful" of dry-roasted almonds (sometimes, raw almonds) around for snack purposes, and have a pack almost daily.  I'll also have a handful of Kirkland's extra-fancy salted mixed nuts several nights a week.  

And, if I run out of avocados, I'll often substitute a handful of raw Brazil nuts. 

Healthynut

I used to eat a lot of nuts, but it's hard to eat just a few of them.  None of them seemed to spike my BG, but I did notice an overall increase in my readings when I went through periods with them versus without them. Since I'm working on maintaining low BG, I've decided to give them up almost entirely.

Stl-T2

I bought some of those little condiment cups (2oz size) and fill one of those with walnuts as a snack/accompaniment for lunch.  I also buy the deluxe mixed salted nuts at Aldi's.  I keep one of the condiment cups in the container to portion them out.  

GrammaBear

I 'dearly' love cashews but - I do not use portion control IF they are in the house.  So lately I've been leaving them at the store where they sit on the shelf waiting for someone else to buy them.  My husband buys mixed nuts in the shell which are fresh and tasty except he doesn't buy cashews.. :(

mystiquarte

Almonds are very very low in Omega 3 fatty acids, http://www.paleoflip.com/nuts-which-ones-to-eat-and-which-ones-to-avoid/

​I whole-heatedly disagree with the article basically saying  that nuts aren't really good for you and aren't a good source of nutrition which is utter b** s^%t, but each to there own I choose to disagree and eat nuts as part of my usual diet ** i love nuts **

Orlando

"I love eating nuts and I eat 30 grams per day, most days ... they are the perfect snack and because I can't eat seafood it's also a way for me to get Omega 3s
I eat mostly Almonds"................mystiquart.

I posted those links above so that others would not be misled by your above false fact quote.

My message is,and was, ALMONDS DO NOT CONTAIN OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS, and that a fact.

Orlando

"I love eating nuts and I eat 30 grams per day, most days ... they are the perfect snack and because I can't eat seafood it's also a way for me to get Omega 3s

I eat mostly Almonds"................mystiquart.

I posted those links above so that others would not be misled by your above false fact quote.

My message is,and was, ALMONDS DO NOT CONTAIN OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS, and that IS a fact.

dowling gram
On 1/28/2016 at 9:51 PM, leosmith said:

Yeah, the paleo bloggers that I read warn against them. On the other hand, the MIND diet says they're sort of a superfood for protecting against Alzheimers. I'll probably eat them on occasion, provided I can find a good source for roasted ones. 

Walnuts are the healthiest nut there is I don't care what the paleo idiots say. They are rich in antioxydents and contain omega3 which is why they call them a superfood.

Never take anyone's word for things--do the looking up yourself. You'll be surprised what you find. I always include them when I make a mixture of roasted nuts

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.