Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predb4

back from doctors visit

predb4

i needed a renewed prescription for metformin, so went to the doctor.

i tried to find a cheaper doctor, but switching doctors would likely cost me more in additional test and perhaps diabetes ignorance.

so i took my home a1c and told him, i do it monthly and do not want done at the lab.  i asked him for two blood tests, smac 25 and cbc.  i have no insurance so i pay for what i can afford.

he was pleased with 5.7 a1c, and says for a diabetic that is fairly good.

he also said you do not want too low an a1c either.

he gave me 80 monthly pills of metformin for one year, so I can increase if the a1c dictates.

i take 500 mg daily.

i am eating one slice of homemade bread per day, white flour but plenty fat in it, the bs rises have gotten better but i will see how the a1c does next month to see if i can tolerate one slice of bread a day.

i have also discovered avocado and metformin is not a good combination. i had no digestive distress form metformin, but this week i ate avocados and suffered.

dowling gram

It might not be that you can't eat avocado. I just happened to think about my broccoli soup. One bowl was fine but if I ate it the next day I'd have stomach issues. It has full fat cream, cream cheese and cheddar. I determined that that was just too much fat and that was what was bothering my stomach so I switched out the 1 cup of full fat cream for 3/4 cup of skim milk and half a tsp. of xanthum gum. It added a carb or 2 to each bowl but since it was low carb in the first place that didn't matter and I can have it for lunch every day until it's gone with no stomach issues.

I suggest you see just how much fat you ate the day you had the avocado or only eat half at a time

predb4

It might not be that you can't eat avocado. I just happened to think about my broccoli soup. One bowl was fine but if I ate it the next day I'd have stomach issues. It has full fat cream, cream cheese and cheddar. I determined that that was just too much fat and that was what was bothering my stomach so I switched out the 1 cup of full fat cream for 3/4 cup of skim milk and half a tsp. of xanthum gum. It added a carb or 2 to each bowl but since it was low carb in the first place that didn't matter and I can have it for lunch every day until it's gone with no stomach issues.

I suggest you see just how much fat you ate the day you had the avocado or only eat half at a time

thanks.

have you ever used the xantham gum to thicken stews in a crockpot?

dowling gram

thanks.

no I haven't. I've only used it to thicken things cooked on the stove and in baked goods. I don't know how you'd go about thickening things in a crockpot. I think I'd use less liquid in the first place

Seagal

You could use the thickener at the end of crockpot cooking, take everything out and sift some in and simmer it a while.

jwags

If you cook something in a crock pot, wait until the end to see if you need to thicken. Sometimes I take the meat out and then puree the drippings and any veggies. It makes a nice sauce and rarely needs thickening. On the stove you whisk in 1/4 tsp of Xantum gum until smoothe and then simmer until thick.

hexex0

I have -- it's a bit difficult to work with.  Some tips I've learned: don't put it in at the beginning, you want the liquid to be as watery as possible so it penetrates the food.  After it's done, strain out the liquid and then thicken it on the stove.  Also, put the powder in a small mesh strainer and tap it to spread it in as a dust while stirring instead of dumping it in, because if you just dump it into the liquid it has a habit of immediately turning into a giant glob of sticky ooze.  

However, I prefer to use Sassafras powder (Gumbo File).  It has about 1g net carb per tsp, thickens sauces really well, and isn't as gummy.

Hammer

There is really no point in taking your A1C monthly.  An A1C test is done to determine your 90 day average of your glucose levels.  Your blood cells have a life expectancy of about 120 days, so if you take an A1C test today, and another A1C test a month from now, you are testing the same blood cells, so you won't see much, if any, change in your A1C.  Maybe save some money and test every 90 days, that will give you a better idea of what your average glucose levels have been.

predb4

However, I prefer to use Sassafras powder (Gumbo File).  It has about 1g net carb per tsp, thickens sauces really well, and isn't as gummy.

thanks, i have seen gumbo file at the store, never knew i could use it for this purpose, will sure try.

without potatoes, my curries and stews are a little watery.

predb4

There is really no point in taking your A1C monthly.  An A1C test is done to determine your 90 day average of your glucose levels.  Your blood cells have a life expectancy of about 120 days, so if you take an A1C test today, and another A1C test a month from now, you are testing the same blood cells, so you won't see much, if any, change in your A1C.  Maybe save some money and test every 90 days, that will give you a better idea of what your average glucose levels have been.

well, i buy a ten test package, which expires in 12 months, that is why i take it monthly.

it seems to be heavily weighted in the past three weeks, maybe it is because it uses the regular blood, tho the manufacturer says venal blood could be used..

this packages of ten tests costs 108 online, the lab charges 75, so four times a year would be 300, still a savings.

Hammer

If you were to buy the at home test kits that have just two tests, like this one, or this one, you could test every three months.  They cost anywhere from $23 to $34, so buying two of these kits a year would allow you to test every three months for a year, and they would only cost $46 to $68.

Moonpie

I have -- it's a bit difficult to work with.  Some tips I've learned: don't put it in at the beginning, you want the liquid to be as watery as possible so it penetrates the food.  After it's done, strain out the liquid and then thicken it on the stove.  Also, put the powder in a small mesh strainer and tap it to spread it in as a dust while stirring instead of dumping it in, because if you just dump it into the liquid it has a habit of immediately turning into a giant glob of sticky ooze.  

Thanks for the great tip, I have a jar of that I sometimes sprinkle it on veg, but this sounds like a winner!!

furball64801

Its truly great you can get those results,     it shows you have  pancreatic function and  this is truly great.   Your diet has helped  no doubt about it. 

Caravaggio

I eat Avacado all the time and I take 2550 mg of Metformin and no distress. You may just have a bug or something.

It could be that. Or it could that too much fat (not necessarily grease) is affecting his digestive system, especially with the metformin. That's the case for me - too much fat and I go to the loo.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.