Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

What do you think?

JanetP

This link is not strictly about LCHF, but is instead a critique of the Paleo diet.  However, I wonder if some of their ideas would apply to some of the LCHF way of eating.  I think they have a point when they talk about poor substitutions and cravings, etc.  There is so much emotion surrounding food for so many people, myself included.

So, how do you manage? or do you?  do you ever feel deprived on LCHF?

http://whole30.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/

Fraser

I have never liked fake food, so I just eliminated the bad stuff. Spaghetti squash as pasta and mushroom sandwiches were already treats for me. At one point I'd did miss my start of workday apple Fritter. omg. So I tried a few bites, it was awful. So my tastes have changed.

I have discovered so many delicious non carby options I don't feel deprived.

jwags

It sounds like this is a diet for weight loss, not a doet for life. As diabetics we need a way of eating for life. I ad,it I do make muffins and crackers from almond flour. I very rarely make desserts. Lately I have even eaten a few grains to make my body more normal.

Orlando

All the "old" foods, types and amounts = bad health

New way of eating ,plenty of good and tasty choices, amounts less than before but that becomes manageable after developing the new habits. I dont really feel deprived , except when I dont deprive myself.

macksvicky

Processed foods are just plain junk. There is an obscene amount of high fructose corn syrup in just about everything, even things you wouldn't think should have in added in. I do like a lot of recipes from the paleo website I found and they are very good but some of them are a bit too carby so I pick and choose. They are good for in that they are committed to "real" food but some of their recipes are not diabetic friendly. It's a matter of just picking out the parts that work for you. 

Esox

Yes.  I feel deprived.  I'd like a sandwich.  A Philly, an Italian beef, a fried bologna, and cheeseburgers on buns.  I'm five months since diagnosis and it would be simply a lie if I didn't admit there are foods I miss terribly.  Sweets much less so than flour products, potatoes more than sweets.  Breads, rolls, bagels, and whatnot.  They're missed the most.

I also haven't had a drink in five and a half years.  There are days when knocking back a number of Canadian Club and Coke Zero cocktails seems pretty appealing.  i don't do it, but I think about it.  

I have an addictive personality.  I miss the things I like(d) a lot.  Might as well be honest.  That helps me.

sillygirl

That website seemed to really knock almond flour. I dont see what the problem is. It's high in fiber, protein, and fats and low in carbs seems like a win win to me.

GAgirl

since my hub passed I have no appetite...I noticed that when I do make myself eat I am following the LCHF way of eating that I adopted, and my bg's are perfect! So this tells me, smaller portions + LCHF = good bg for me.

As I seem to get my appetite back I am remembering this and continuing to eat much smaller portions of everything.

I have no energy to bake with my almond flour and for me, slap me, but when I "need" to have a cracker, matzo, or bread, I just eat it and get over the craving. If I don't I will binge on it all eventually, but if I give myself a small taste I am good for a long while.

I start to feel so ill from crappy foods and sugars, so I see that my body prefers to be detoxed from all this.

Kit

I have to agree with the article.  I think its a mistake to eat what I refer to as replacement foods like low carb breads, desserts, and similar which don't really satisfy in themselves, but keep the craving for the real deal going.

One benefit of my work schedule is that I don't have the time to spend on making these items.  And I have discovered that after a while they hold nothing more than a minor interest to me.  I got way way more enjoyment out of the fried cabbage at Christmas than I ever did out of the potatoes and stuffing I used to eat.

No, I don't feel deprived.  Frustrated sometimes trying to deal with eating out when I'm not in charge of the food.  (No matter how many times I tell them otherwise, it never fails for them to offer me bags of potato chips or crackers and say "its low fat!" every time we visit.

So, my rule of thumb has become eat what you eat because it is good in its own right, not because its a replacement for something you shouldn't have.  And how can you feel deprived when you are enjoying what you are eating?

Tonight will be pan seared salmon in a lemon dill cream sauce.  Planning on serving it with that sauteed cabbage and kale because OMG I can't believe I thought I didn't like fried cabbage and I am currently working off 40 years of backlog.  :)

Kit

Actually, I should clarify the above.  I think its a mistake to depend on the replacements.  I don't think there is a problem using them once in a while.  I think the problem comes about when they become staples in the diet.

Seagal

If I didn't have the "replacements", I doubt I would still be at this twelve years later.  The substitutes that I can make that are actually very good are what keeps me away from a loaf of sour dough french bread :) I like making special deserts that others can enjoy and mashed cauliflower soup is a regular (when the prices are right).  I like fat bombs when I'm not watching calories for weight loss (yes, I have to consider carbs & calories).

I've visited many paleo sites and some of them don't do it for me, so I haven't been to one in quite a while.  I used to like Mark's Daily Apple, but when they started doing "The Whole Thirty" and other similar plans, I stopped going.  I see that the link is about "whole thirty".  They talk about pizza, the last pizza I made was so good there would be no reason to feel deprived and it definitely had cheese.

I like regular food without the carbs and it seems a lot of members feel the same way.  Last night we had chicken thighs and brocolli with lemon butter, with non-Jello gelatin with whipped cream.  Today I will use the juices from the cooked thighs (last night) to add to the cauli soup.

Healthynut

I'm doing my best to avoid ANY processed foods, so I don't want to get started on too many "substitutes."  I get so tired of reading ingredients on labels and having to look them up and figure out what they really are.  I'm also tired of having spikes after eating what was supposed to have "0" carbs.

I wish I could find substitutes for mayonnaise and ketchup.  I tried making my own several times, but that didn't turn out so well.  I've finally settled for Duke's mayo.  I contacted the mfr to see if the "natural flavors" might include MSG and was told they do not.  I also started using Duke's tartar sauce on my steamed fish.  I found a low-sugar ketchup (can't remember the brand offhand) online that tastes okay, and I use controlled quantities of that on boiled beef.

Aside from condiments and cheeses, I pretty much stick to one-ingredient foods.

Healthynut

I have an addictive personality.  I miss the things I like(d) a lot.  Might as well be honest.  That helps me.

You're right.  Being open and honest about your cravings -- and complaining about them -- does  seem to help a lot.  Whenever I feel the addictive pull of Coca-Cola, I whine to the nearest family member and the obsession dissolves.  They all get tired of hearing it, but it works for me.

Seagal

I can't think of any of my substitutes that are processed, I mean I make them from real food.

I also tried making my own mayo and try as I might, never came out.  We use Best Foods and I use some maybe a couple of times a month. Hopefully, the nasty ingredients won't kill me ;)

comedy

I've made my own mayonnaise successfully, but I don't use it often and never did, so I just buy one with the least offensive ingredients and use it as sparingly as ever.

My problem with the site in the link is that it's about a 'diet' and not a way of life. So as an incentive to people not to use substitutes, they say, 'it's just for 30 days'. That mentality doesn't provide the fundamental change in attitudes to food that we have to make. So I see nothing at all wrong with creating substitute dishes with fresh ingredients, and discarding the ones that don't pass the taste/meter test. I've got lots of recipes for dishes that I love to make and eat, and I look forward to my meals every day.

It's been working for me every day for over four years, so I see no reason why it won't last forever. And I'm still trying new dishes often. It's fun! And I'm the healthiest I've been for many years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.