Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snow Goose

Switching Pharmacies

Snow Goose

I needed to change my go-to Pharmacy because every time I go in there....lines....wait 20 min. to 30 min. just to pick up (Walgreens) and it's like that most of the time.

So I switched to Kroger where I usually grocery shop.....WOW the prices are so much cheaper...plus you get a $25.00 credit for each prescription you move to them, to use as you please.

I paid $40.00 at Walgreens for 100ct Accu-Check Smart strips, Kroger - $15.00 after insurance.

It pays to shop around for better deals.

I also check a web site - goodrx.com and it posted some good info. :)

Java

great savings!

i used to pay around $156 for 30 of my cymbalta pills at walmart and then found out (from someone here on the df) that meds from canadian pharmacies are cheaper so i've been buying them (the generic brand) from them (northwest pharmacy) for quite a while now and saving huge!  i can get 100 blister tabs for $126 which includes shipping

jwags

I use the pharmacy at Giant Eagle. I drop my RX off and then do my shopping. We bought my hisband's Actos from Northwest pharmacy for about 10 years and saved about 60%. Today he qualifies for Medicare so now he can use his Part D csrd to get affordable Meds.

Snow Goose

Nice....I am a little timid about ordering online.

However I do use e-scripts for my long term meds (not related to D), though my doctor does not like the 90 day supply requirement (a lot cheaper)

Snow Goose

I use the pharmacy at Giant Eagle. I drop my RX off and then do my shopping. We bought my hisband's Actos from Northwest pharmacy for about 10 years and saved about 60%. Today he qualifies for Medicare so now he can use his Part D csrd to get affordable Meds.

Nice....shop while the scripts are being prepared.

adiantum

I'm on a different system to you guys but I've found it pays to keep good relations with the local pharmacy.

If I cant walk down to their store, I just have to ring them & they will send a car down to collect my scripts then return later with the meds.

I'd not like to abuse the system by asking them to bring down test strips or non urgent items  unless I'm desperate but they have delivered ural when I had a UTI.

I post this as a hint for other aussies.

Moonpie

I use CVS & I love collecting extra bucks. When I have an extra buck reward, ($5) I peruse the shop & treat myself to a new lipstick or something else fun & frivolous. They have a drive through window for pick ups, which I use, if it is empty of other cars. I get my testing supplies by mail order, as it is cheaper that way.

BookwormBetty

Seconding Kroger! They have a $4 list as well as a $10 list - the $10 list is for a three month refill, if you can get your doctor to write a three month scrip instead of a one month. I don't know what all diabetes meds are included, but metformin is. $4 a month for metformin - I haven't even priced it through my insurance because I know that it'd be $11 minimum for the same amount. (I've heard it's actually free at Meijer but haven't checked myself.)

mom24grlz

we use giant eagle too. Ashleigh has been through 4 pharmacies so far. She started off at a local mom and pop pharmacy about 2 miles from our house. We loved it there. We knew the pharmacist and he always did his best to get Ashleigh what she needed.  But about 10 months after her diagnosis they closed down.  Then we went to rite-aid. We were only there a few months. I did not like it there. There were prescriptions that Ashleigh needed, that rite-aid didn't have and refused to order for her.  So moved to pharmacy #3, another mom and pop style in the town over from us. We were there for maybe 2 years, then they stopped accepting Ashleigh's medicaid.  So on to #4 (giant eagle) which is where we currently are. For the most part they've been good. They'll order medication for Ashleigh if they don't carry it. Accept all her insurances. The only pain is a lot of times they won't have the complete prescription so they'll give us a partial fill and then we have to come back the next day for the remainder.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.