Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sillygirl

Is this weird?

sillygirl

Today I had a high carb (for me) meal. I had a taco salad with 12 net carbs. I checked my sugar right before i ate then for the next 5 hours. I had absolutely no raise in my bg. If anything it went down. Here are my numbers

Pre Dinner 94

1 hour  post 1st bite 86

2 hours post 1st bite 94

3 hours post 1st bite 94

4 hours post 1st bite 90

5 hours post 1st bite 87

Is this strange? It seemed weird to me but i know almost nothing.

dowling gram

You didn't say if you had any physical activity after you ate. Even walking burns off carbs. 12 carbs would not give you that much to burn off. If I over eat carbs I use the stationary bike at a moderate pace for about 10 minutes and my BG drops

sillygirl

It was all homemade. I didnt have a taco shell though i have seen recipes for them.

I used shredded iceburg lettuce. I  know its pretty valueless but for tacos its always my go to. Its a little less than 1carb per cup.

For the taco meat

1 pound of ground pork 0 carbs

1/2 cup of oinion diced small  6 carbs

1 cup green peppers roughly chopped  4carbs

4tbsp butter   0 carbs

1 ounce of fresh sliced garlic  9 carbs

1 bottle of Old El Paso mild taco sauce 15 carbs

Total Carbs for the pan was 34carbs. I took 1/4 of the pan which comes out to 8.5carbs

Homemade Mock Nacho Cheese

4 ounces of Veleeta Cheese  16 carbs

2 tbsp of HWC    1 carb

Total Carbs 17 carbs. I planned on using 1/4 of this but it was soo rich i only ended up using about 1tbsp. I counted 2 carbs for this.

I added a small tbsp of sour cream which is 1/2CARB.

I really wanted to add a tbsp of salsa to this but i couldnt find it. That would have added 1 carb to the mix.

Total Carbs in my Meal

Lettuce 1

Taco meat 8.5

Nacho Cheese 2

Sour Cream .5

My total 12 carbs really should have been 13 but i couldnt find the salsa!!!!!

sillygirl

You didn't say if you had any physical activity after you ate. Even walking burns off carbs. 12 carbs would not give you that much to burn off. If I over eat carbs I use the stationary bike at a moderate pace for about 10 minutes and my BG drops

I didnt do anything physical.

Ela

To me your meal reads "zero carbs" ;) ....well...almost.  I never tried to count like you do - for lettuce, cheese (Velveeta has so much :o wow!), so I guess that would be my typical meal and your numbers would be about what I'd get eating the same thing.  Nothing weird about it.  Good meal= good numbers! :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.