Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bishop

anyone try Epic bars?

Bishop

Heard about these and checked out the carb content - not bad, though I think they may be tiny overall.  I'm typically packing various nuts for my travel snacks, but some of the lower carb options in the lineup look like they may work too.  Will have to pick some up and try them but wondering if anyone here has given them a shot already?

https://epicbar.com/bars-overview

hexex0

Epic bars were my go-to snack/food for hiking.  I used to buy cases of them from their site directly, so I've tried all the flavors.  The carbs differ from bar to bar, as many of them contain fruit and nuts and a few are just meat, for example, the uncured bacon bar.

The up side:

They're nutritionally sound, good for low carb diets, and I do believe the company strives to use quality ingredients, even though we're talking about quality meat scraps.  It's basically a high end, healthier Slim Jim, right? <_<

The mixed side:

The taste and texture sometimes leave a lot to be desired, but some of them are enjoyable to me.  It depends on the bar.  None of them really wow me, but I still keep some on hand for the convenience.  Especially the uncured bacon because it has zero carbs and I know it's something I can carry with me and eat without needing to bolus.

The down side:

This is less of a problem now than when they first opened their doors, but occasionally your bar contains bone, grizzle, or other incredibly undesirable animal components.  I haven't encountered this in quite some time though.  (chew, chew, crunch........ :huh: )

If you want to try them, they once had a sampler box available online, not sure if that's still a thing.  Also, if available to you, Whole Foods carries a couple of the flavors, but not even close to all of them.  I suggest the Uncured Bacon, Bison Bacon Cranberry, Chicken Sesame BBQ, and my favorite, the Lamb Currant Mint.

To note, the company just sold to General Mills so it's no longer a small private operation.  How they'll impact the products down the road is left to be seen.

Ela

They are a bit cheaper on Amazon, but reviews are awful!  I almost ordered, but no - too expensive for questionable taste.  Even a trial smaller set is $16.

But would be wonderful to find something like that meaty bars that actually taste good as I hate all those nutty-frutty ones.

Bishop

I just tried the bacon one and one of the beef flavors while at Whole Foods.  I love it.  Will have to try more, but will certainly add these high end Slim Jim bars to my travel packets (mostly macadamia nuts and almonds at this point).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.