Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mom24grlz

what do you make of this?

mom24grlz

So occasionally i test my blood sugar just to see what it's like, especially since my dad and his mom are both type 2s.  Fasting is always between 100-105.  random/premeal numbers are usually 95-120.   i've only had a few numbers below 90. i had a 73 once and felt terrible. Shaky, light headed. But i got that when i had gone 24 hours without eating (had a fever). Today i ate 75 carbs at a meal. tested at 1 hour and was 154. 2 hour check 68! (hands washed both times). what the heck, i wasn't expecting a 68. oh and BTW i feel perfectly fine at the 68. 

JohnSchroeder

Wouldn't worry all TOO much.  A huge carb meal caused a spike, which is normal.  And your body was producing tons of insulin to correct and over corrected a bit.

Might be a sign that you should keep on doing random checks like this... but nothing too alarming.

mom24grlz

looks like from dr. google LOL! reactive hypoglycemia. I'll keep an eye on it :)  Oh and now i am starting to feel a bit shaky. But last check i was at 79. I did not eat anything my BG just started coming up on it's own.

OldTech

Wouldn't worry all TOO much.  A huge carb meal caused a spike, which is normal.  And your body was producing tons of insulin to correct and over corrected a bit.

Might be a sign that you should keep on doing random checks like this... but nothing too alarming.

I prefer the statement "a huge carb meal caused a spike, which is common normal." I think that normal readings should be in the 70-80s and certainly below 100 including postprandial readings. In other words no spikes. Don't confuse common and normal.

From the NIH: "People with a fasting glucose level of 100 to 125 mg/dL have impaired fasting glucose (IFG), or prediabetes."  So you are at the low end of being prediabetic and are carb intolerant.

BTW: I sure wish I had known that I was prediabetic, then I could have perhaps avoided the complications that I had when I was diagnosed with an A1c of 6.5 and a fasting BG of 128.

predb4

So occasionally i test my blood sugar just to see what it's like, especially since my dad and his mom are both type 2s.  Fasting is always between 100-105.  random/premeal numbers are usually 95-120.   i've only had a few numbers below 90. i had a 73 once and felt terrible. Shaky, light headed. But i got that when i had gone 24 hours without eating (had a fever). Today i ate 75 carbs at a meal. tested at 1 hour and was 154. 2 hour check 68! (hands washed both times). what the heck, i wasn't expecting a 68. oh and BTW i feel perfectly fine at the 68. 

through a borrowed meter from my cat, i observed a similar pattern to yours.

it looks like pre-diabetes.  Ipestered my doctors for an a1c and pre-diabetes was confirmed.

perhaps you can get an a1c home test, and, if it is in the high 5s, adopt a low carb diet to try to stave off diabetes.

i have managed it with 500 mg metformin for over 2 years now, i also have immediate family history.

mom24grlz

through a borrowed meter from my cat, i observed a similar pattern to yours.

it looks like pre-diabetes.  Ipestered my doctors for an a1c and pre-diabetes was confirmed.

perhaps you can get an a1c home test, and, if it is in the high 5s, adopt a low carb diet to try to stave off diabetes.

i have managed it with 500 mg metformin for over 2 years now, i also have immediate family history.

i actually have been eating low carb since july. I was wondering if this is why my body put out so much insulin, it wasn't used to that high of carbs all at one time. I have been lax-a-daisy with my carbs though. I was only eating 20 carbs a day but lately it's probably been closer to 50 carbs a day.

mom24grlz

When you have done LC for quite awhile and then eat a lot of carbs you will spike higher and then crash lower.

Good to know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.