Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Opinion on this reading

meyery2k

I was diagnosed about a month ago.  My first fasting test was 291.  This morning it was 110, my best so far.  I have been dieting and exercising and lost 8 lbs. this month.  My blood pressure has gone from dnagerously high well controlled per the doctor.

So now I that I have accepted that I have T2 and will make changes and stick to them, this was a meal test from tonight.  I realize there will likely be suggestions to lower carbs and, while I don't disagree, please understand that I have gone from nearly uncontrolled eating and no monitoring of my food to trying to carefully choose good food and limit portions.

I am obese at 5'11 and 306 lbs.  I have an exercise regimen of 45 minutes of walking a day.  I can cover 2.5+ miles in this period of time.

I exercised about 90 minutes before this meal.

Ok so my test before dinner was 98 (having not eaten for about 6 hours).  2 hours after eating I tested at 116.  I had, probably in some circles, an atrocious dinner but it was much healthier than I used to eat.  I kind of wanted to test myself so this was an atypical meal for me.

(1) Banquet frozen salisbury steak with gravy (suggested serving) - In the past I would have eaten half the package (3 steaks)

1/2C Stove Top stuffing prepared per instructions using butter as the fat (suggested serving) - In the past I would have eaten the whole box (6 servings)

Salad consisting of cucumbers, zucchini, and about 1.5 oz of tomato with 1T of homemade vinegar and oil dressing - I always ate salad but would pour on the ranch dressing or some other fatty dressing.

1 5oz. serving dry wine - I would usually have 12-24 oz of sweet tea from the carton OR 1 -2 cans Coca-Cola

1/2 bar organic dark chocolate (1/2 the servnig size)  It was a little under 2 oz - I think you know what I would have done before.  Probably with some ice cream or a glass of milk.

I estimate the calories at 665 with 54 g of carb.

I had eaten 2 meals (breakfast and lunch) totaling approximately 650 calories and 47g carb.  It was a variety of fruit, tofu. cottage cheese, and curry sauce.

I take 1000mg of Metformin daily.  1 at breakfast and 1 at dinner.  I have taken all medicine as directed for about 1 month.

Please forgive my ignorance but I would like to take advantage of the collective wisdom on this site and not reinvent the wheel.  I don't plan to use this as an excuse to eat like this every day.  I just want to ask what I can take away from this.  My perception is that, at this time, I have a good chance of controlling my illness if I stay on this track.  I do understand that what is now is not necessarily what is tomorrow but I would be comforted knowing that, based on this observation, I have a good chance of being OK.  I have tested at other meals and, while I did not observe the meticulous detail of what I ate, I would see similar results.

I have a beautiful piece of swordfish on deck for tomorrow.  Probably with tofu and a fresh vegetable salad!

For a one month period I have observed significant downward trending of my numbers.  The doctor commented that he was surprised it has come down this fast.  I eat sensibly.  I do not starve myself.  I try and stay within 2000 calories a day with 60g carbs per meal but, many days are lower on both counts.  I plan to continue lowering the carbs as I discover ways to substitute other items for the carbs I enjoy.

Thank you for any insight you might be able to offer!

Hammer

You are doing things in the correct order.  While most of us here try to eat less than 100 carbs a day (many of us eat less than 50 a day), by reducing your carb intake, while yours are still high, is a good beginning.  You can see how well you've done by reducing your carb intake.  Calories are not as important to us as carbs are.  Carbs are like poison to a diabetic, so by reducing the number of carbs you eat every day, you can lower your BG levels down to near normal levels.  Heck, by reducing your carb intake and exercising, you might be able to eliminate your diabetic meds altogether.....a number of people here have done that.

The idea here is to reduce your carb intake....if you can't do it all at once, then do it slowly over time.  Lowering your carb intake doesn't necessarily mean that you have to eliminate all of your favorite foods, you might just need to reduce the portion size of those foods.  Only your BG meter will be able to tell you this.  We have a saying here...you need to eat to your meter.  That means that you need to test your BG (blood glucose) levels before you eat, then two hours after your first bite of food.  By doing this, you can determine what foods you can and cannot eat.  If your before reading was....say 100, and your two hour after meal was....say 200, then that indicates that you can't eat that food, or at the very least, you need to reduce the portion size of the food.  By testing before and after a meal, you will begin to see what foods are better for you, and which foods you need to avoid.  A lot of the people here keep a logbook of what different foods do to their BG levels.  It makes it easier for them to refer back to in the future.

In any case, welcome to the forums and don't hesitate to ask any questions that you might have....we are here to help you.

NoraWI

Welcome and congratulations. You are on the right track. My only comment is not to avoid the good fats. Fats are your friend. They do NOT add carbs and are satiating. Store bought low fat foods have extra carbs in them and are to be avoided. I won't comment on the stuffing nor the tofu, to which I have a personal aversion.

predb4

It all depends on your goals, in terms of daily readings and your A1c.

I concentrate on the diet, and do not exercise as much, the exercise is limited to moving about at work, often up and down the stairs- but it is quite a lot of walking.

However, my goal is to be in the mid 5's A1c, with as little medication as possible.

So you need to establish an A1c goal.  The statistics show that type 2's experience fewer complications if they are under 6.5 ( or 7? someone correct me please).  Once you establish that goal you determine how many carbs or how much medication, or how much complications you can afford.

I am past the stage of regretting the loss of carbohydrate, but , in reality, except for sugar, they are tasteless. Fruit, I was never really a fan, even as a child, and I save money by not buying fruit to spend on diabetic supplies.

When diagnosed, I had the built-in advantage of cooking my own food and baking my own bread, so I think the transition is easy, for those who like to cook.  Processed foods make diabetic management much harder and they are really hard to give up.

jwags

It seems you are having fantastic success. Diabetes control is very individual. It seems you can handle a lot more carbs than I can handle. I try to limit my meals to 10-15 carbs and even then I still spike to 150-160 sometimes.. As long as your after meal bgs are within range,you are doing good.

Kit

I'll second the others.  You need to identify your target goals.  Where do you want to be A1C wise.  That will help you determine what your fasting, pre, and post reading ranges should be.

My own personal goals is that want to be in the low 5s.  In order to reach that, I need to spend a significant portion of my time in the 80s or 90s.

On the Blood Sugar 101 site, Jenny states fasting or pre meals under 100 and 2 hours post to be back down under 120 to hit an A1C of under 6.  According to the readings you took, you just made that goal.  If your example is a good representation of how you're doing most of the time, you may see a drop to under 6 on your next A1C.  :)

I found, and others here have said the same, that the morning fasting reading is one of the last to climb and also one of the last to drop.  Its certainly improving though, so you are doing well.  :)

meyery2k

Thank you all for the input. 

I am consistently having fasting readings in the 98-109 range now.  I have been working on lowering carbs and finding alternative ways to cut the intake down.  My post meal (2 hr. readings) have been in the 110-147 range and the 147 was just one time.

While I have eaten a small portion of white potato and small sourdough rolls on a few occasions I am figuring out that, while these foods are satisfying initially, they are not satiating in the long run and I find I need to snack on nuts or something in between meals when I eat these foods.  I am also watching calories to reduce weight because I am obese.

I have found zucchini to be a wonderful starch replacement.  For breakfast this morning I had a 2 egg omelet with 2 pieces of bacon 1 slice of American cheese (I know it is kinda gross but I love that stuff sometimes), and 1 cup of sliced zucchini fried up in a little of the bacon fat. 

Fried zucchini is not fried potatoes and I will never convince myself that they are but, to be realistic, it is a substitute that I can live with and, hopefully, will help me to live.  This breakfast was about 7 g of carbs.  1 small serving of russet potato that I had yesterday was nearly 20g of carbs.

I also understand cauliflower can be a good substitute for starchy vegetables

What is the opinion on sweet potato and brown rice?  Brown rice didn't look to be that much better than white.  Maybe 1/2C serving once or twice a week since we eat a lot of Asian foods where I live?

Any suggestions for breads or rolls?  I was subbing small white flour tortillas for breads but I see now that even they are too many calories and carbs for the enjoyment they give me.  For now, I am subbing regular corn tortilla which are 11g carbs for 1 tortilla.

Early on I stated I was not giving up Coca Cola.  I still tell myself that but I have not had one in a couple of weeks.  Maybe 8 oz. on a special day (still 25g of carbs which is just sugar) but I did try a Coke Zero and could like that.  I would still only have one occasionally though since artificial sweeteners present their own challenges.

I no longer drink sweet tea.  I brew my own iced tea and then flavor with lemon or lime as desired.

The good thing is this old dog is learning new tricks and doing things I said I wasn't going to do!  I can't take all the credit for will power as I think the Metformin helps but if I eat smart, I can eat a lot of good normal food, be satiated between meals, and not have cravings.  I have been steadily losing weight.  I started at 313 lbs. in early January and I am down to 295 lbs today.  In fact, the other day my pants fell right off to right around my feet walking up the stairs!  That was a great feeling!  I have been sticking around 1500-1700 calories a day but my carbs are still too many.  I exercise by walking 1 hour per day at an at least 3 mile an hour pace.  I average about 3.4 to 3.5 miles and am working to my next goal of 4 mph.  In early January I had no formal exercise regimen at all. 

So while I am not where I want/need to be, I am in a far better place than I was and I know I can get there.

Again, any insight or suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

JuliaDay2013

You're doing so much better! Tubers & grains will never be your friends, so replacing them with cauliflower and other low carb vegetables is always a good plan. Good job on the exercising and losing weight.

predb4

keep it up.

I use grated cabbage as a rice and spaghetti substitute, i just sautee in butter, and put on a sauce over it.

Once you match your A!C goals with your food, you can have a dearly missede carbohydrate one in a while. 

Kit

I personally have just completely given up on all grains and almost all root vegetables.  (Exceptions are like onion, radish, garlic, etc where its used as a seasoning more so than anything else.)

Take a poke around at Keto recipe sites.  If you don't mind cooking for scratch, you'll find a low of low carb bread, potato, etc alternatives.

Also check out the recipe section of our forum.  You'll find us referencing just about every keto recipe site out there and often reviews on how good the item turns out to be.

Vilya

You are doing so well!!

Rice is terrible for me. It's like pure sugar to my body - I get higher spikes with rice over practically anything else. I had to just stop eating it altogether, which made me sad, but I had to do it.

I use shiritake "rice" now, when I'm desperate. LOL The brand I use is called Miracle Rice. It's not ever going to be a direct substitute, but it does work well in Asian dishes especially, and I like having it as an option.

danielneedscontrol

HI Mike,

Very inspirational stuff that you are posting about your journey and progress in controlling blood sugar.  I had a moment of weekend where I had ordered my old combination favorite of shrimp with broccoli with very light garlic sauce and egg fried rice.  I also had a small wonton wonton with scallion sprinkled on top, I thought it would not hurt since I have not had that in almost 2 months.  About 2 hours and half of my Glucovance dose of 5/500 mg my bg number was at 256mg/dL, I wanted to shoot myself.  After another hour my bg was at 156mg/dL then I decided to take the other half of my recommended dose of Glucovance and before washing up and sleeping it went down to 98mg/dL.

I woke up to maybe somewhat of a liver dump, apologies to the senior members of this forum, and my reading was elevated to 134mg/dL.  So, I figure I can be sad about it but instead I feel the urge to fight and continue to feel good about my own progress that I have made for this month.  So, I am going to continue my routine and progress onward to "fight" a good fight to control my Type 2.

Good luck Mike.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.