Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predb4

hand cream and testing

predb4

hand cream affects the meter readings.

I need to apply creams to some eczema patches and also moisturizer to hand and face because of the weather, the readings on the meter become really high.

can i just clean one finger with an alcohol swab to avoid frequent hand washing?

on another note, my week bread experiment is over, the bg rise after meal is the same with one slice of bread at lunch or a a low carb breakfast.

adiantum

I just test with the little finger & that mostly keeps away from creams, lotions & food stuffs... & thats the only finger tip that gets washed if at all needed.

comedy

I find that using the alcohol swabs dries my fingers out really badly, and also seems to harden the skin itself. At home I have two hand washes in dispensers; one that is very good for my skin but seems to leave a deposit that puts my BG up a point or two (yes, I tested a lot to be sure) and one of the commercial brands that gives me a more accurate reading and doesn't make my hands too dry.

And using the alcohol swabs, it's not just the finger I swab that gets hard and dry, but the fingers and thumb etc. I use to pull it out of the packet and do the swabbing.

jwags

I have noticed even a little cream will raise my bg. If I have any residue on my fingers from cleaning products or hair products I often get a very low reading. I always will rewash my hands and scrub with a washcloth. I usually apply creams after I have tested my bgs.

ant hill

Oh Janet, How can I miss this?? My Apologies.

Happy Birthday Janet. A day to be yourself and just rest. Manny happy returns to you and stay warm. :D

mom24grlz

yep so can hand sanitizer. this happened to my 6 year old. She was going through a phase where she was obssessed with hand sanitizer.  One day she asked if she could check her sugar, like Ashleigh.  I told her yes, her hands looked clean. BG was over 500! had a mini panic attack. Made her scrub her hands and she retested in the 120s.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.