Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leosmith

Donating Plasma while in Ketosis? Beware!

leosmith

After being in ketosis for a little while, I developed leg cramps, detailed in this thread. The cure was to add salt, in the form of bouillon cubes, to my diet. Case closed? Unfortunately, no. In an effort to take control of other poor labs of mine (mainly cholesterol) I decided to try to lower my serum ferritin to the "optimal" range by donating plasma.

Now first of all, this is stupid because, compared to donating whole blood, the impact of donating plasma on ferritin is minor. But I didn't know this at the time, so I donated twice in one week, which is an acceptable practice here in the US. I received $100, which was more than enough to pay for the ferritin test. There was a quick turn around on the test, and that's when I realized how little impact donating had.

In the meantime, my cramps had returned. It took a few days, but they were just as bad as before, and I was still on my regime of magnesium and bouillon cubes. I couldn't figure it out, so I panicked and put myself on a high carb diet similar to that outlined by Fuhrman, but that didn't help either. 

Finally, one night lying in bed, not sleeping out of fear of leg cramp attacks, it occurred to me that I'd sucked 1.5 liters of liquid out of my veins, and must be dehydrated. I'd been drinking the normal amount of water, about 8 cups/day, which is plenty to keep me well hydrated under normal circumstances, but now I needed more. So the next day (yesterday) I drank 10 or 11 cups, and I slept much better. From now on I plan to drink 1 cup per waking hour until I'm over it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Because we are very sensitive to dehydration during ketosis, I think we need to be especially careful if we are considering donating plasma or whole blood. Have you ever donated blood while in ketosis?

Moonpie

I am a regular blood donor,  ( hemochromatosis),but I am not in ketosis. I thought they put saline back in with the blood, on plasma donations? Anyhow, keep drinking water, I had no idea you could still get paid for donations, I think it's banned here.

mbc1963

I've donated whole blood and double red cells. (The second procedure removes the red blood cells and returns the plasma to the body.). I didn't know you could donate just plasma. The double red donation made me so sick I could feel myself about to faint while lying on the donation table during the first unit AND the second unit. Regular whole blood donation doesn't make me feel that way, unless I really strain myself by walking too far in the hot sun afterwards. I haven't noticed much difference in how I feel after donating before LCHF or during LCHF eating.

I would think they would strongly advise you to take in lots and lots of extra fluid if you're donating plasma alone - basically your blood's fluid.

leosmith

I thought they put saline back in with the blood, on plasma donations? Anyhow, keep drinking water, I had no idea you could still get paid for donations, I think it's banned here.

Yes, they give you your red cells back in a saline solution, but that doesn't stop dehydration; I think it's just an anti-coagulant. The first time I donated they remarked at how well hydrated I was, and how quickly the machine was able to take my blood. The second time took twice as long, and my nurse was sort of nervously pacing around trying to get me to hurry up. 

As for being paid for "donations", why not? The plasma is normally used for research and sold for a huge profit to pharmaceutical corporations.

Moonpie

I didn't say it was wrong to sell it, just that I had heard   it was banned from being sold, as it attracted the wrong donors.  But I am often wrong ;)  You all have put me off the platelet donations, I had considered doing that, but if it makes a person feel sick, I'll stick to the whole blood.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.