Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

New to T2. Finally figured out how to eat out

meyery2k

Today I had a small, yet  pleasing victory.  I am new to the club and still working on adjusting my attitude and habits.  Today, I figured out that I can do this.

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii.  My adult son lives in the same town as I do.  I have told him about my health and he has been sympathetic and supportive.  I am learning how to undo many bad diet habits which I have discussed in other posts so I will not go into those details here.

We went to a geothermally heated pool, swam, enjoyed a beautiful late morning and worked our way down the coast to the end of the road wave watching, taking small hikes, enjoying the day, and each other's company.  It was 1PM so it was lunchtime.  The doctor explained that it is not good for me to skip meals because my glucose control system is already broken so I now eat 3 squares a day.

We were at Kalapana which is a predominately Native Hawaiian area.  There was a small take out type restaurant you see very commonly in Hawaii.  These types of places serve, in general, plate lunch which consists of a protein (which may be breaded and fried), 2 scoops rice (approximately 3/4C to 1C steamed white calrose rice, and 1 scoop macaroni salad.  You can sometimes sub green salad for 1 or both starches but that is not always the case.  All things that I love and murder for glucose control :(

My son, Tim, orders a plate and all is good.  My dilemma was short.  This place offered their proteins as ala carte items.  I ordered a lau lau which is shredded seasoned pork (and sometimes fish) wrapped taro leaf which has the rough consistency and flavor of spinach.  I love lau lau.  I also had a serving of smoked meat which is smoked pork shoulder butt.  I went to the corner store and indulged in a diet soda.

The person taking the order looked at me kind of funny though and asked me if all I wanted was meat which I confirmed.  I saw Tim eating and, for the first time, I didn't really regret not having rice or macaroni salad.  Not when I had all this delicious food that I love!  I also realized I probably got a little closer to my money's worth for $12 than Tim did.  His lunch was $10 but consisted of mostly inexpensive starches (macaroni and rice).  My eyes have been opened a little.  Looking at a McDonald's or other fast food meal the meal is mostly bread, French fries, and sugar (assuming a soda or fruit punch is ordered).  All cheap stuff.  The $6 can buy me a couple dozen eggs, a nice steak, a nice piece of fish, or a nice chicken breast.  I can make a double cheeseburger patty that will taste WAY better (which is what I really want anyway) and have money left over lol...

The doctor did say eat more high quality protein like chicken breast, lean beef, and lean pork.  I would happily follow those orders.

Lunch was delicious and when I tallied up the calories and carbs I estimated I had around 380 calorie lunch at 1.9g carb.  It is almost 5PM and this will easily carry me to dinner.  Taro has an insane amount of vitamin A (1 serving is 120%) so I feel like Superman with my eyesight ;)

More importantly I am finally learning how to do this a little smarter.  I was fighting the no carb idea but now I have come to accept that I can eat a lot better things in a little more quantity as long as I exercise and keep my weight going down.

Rice is tough since I like the consistency of it but I can still have it once in a while.

Today was a win.  I can imagine some of the more experienced posters laughing at such a simple realization but it was tough for me to get here.

In closing - I don't mean to whine.  It took diabetes to convince me to change.  I don't want to be diabetic and I know I can't go back but I have to concede that this is something to be thankful for and I would not have got here without diabetes.  It is a part of who I am and while it will shape me, it will not rule me.  Again, I thank anyone who takes the time to read these. ~ Mike

Fraser

Thank you for finding this site. We have all been there and done that before we have found the balance that is healthy for us

Let us know how things work out

sillygirl

First off let me say.... I am a bit pea green about where you live!!!!

Eating out is still a bit terrifying to me. Ok more than a little bit. Congrats on making well thought out delicious choices. Which seems even harder when your not at a sit down restaurant.

I love your positive attitude!!!!

predb4

Fraser is right.

The reason food giants became so is that they buy cheap and sell dear.

Rationalizing that meat is more expensive than starch is a good way to avoid starches.

Whenever i eat at restaurants, I substitute the starch for an extra vegetable serving, which in any way is more expensive than the starch. 

But, in reality, it is cheaper to eat at home, a roast chicken goes a long way.

When I think of all the money i spent in breakfast cereal I am angry.  And rice cakes!  I just as well eat card board.

But you can adjust, and still have a social life, you just have to do a lot of planning.

I organize my cheat days around public holidays,  i skip a cheat day if I am not going out for any reason , or i postpone them in case there is a family thing coming up,  but i do not bank them.

For potluck dinners at work,  I now bring plates of cold cuts, diet sodas and when they have brunch, I bring greek yogurt, coffee and a variety of artificial sweetners.

meyery2k

Thank you to everyone for the encouraging words!  I just read this morning fasting BG was 98 which I have done before.  Now if I can just read in the 90's 2 days in a row!  My total carbs yesterday was 50.4 (40 after subtracting known fiber).  I must confess to having 14g dark chocolate for dessert last night.  14g seems to be an amount that will satisfy and not totally blow me out of the water.  The sad thing is that 14g of chocolate has 8g of carbs!

So today, I will continue trying to eat in this range of carbs if not a little less and see where this leads to tomorrow.

meyery2k

@ Sillygirl - Florida is not too shabby either!  Conch chowder (well not so much anymore maybe).  Wonderful fish and shrimp with the Gulf and the Atlantic right there.  I love Southern cuisine although many of the things I love no longer love me lol...  ~ Mike

Seagal

Thanks Mike for such an interesting post.  I'm an "old-timer" and didn't laugh a bit at your new-found knowledge and how you are taking command of your glucose management.

I also now know where to go on the Big Island for true Native Hawaiian culture!  Kalapana :)

Your pleasant morning with your son sounds like a delight!

meyery2k

@ Javagurrl - I made tuna salad today and usually eat that with bread, crackers, or rice which is a no go.  So I tried the cauliflower.  I pulsed up about a cup in the food processor and came out with an couscous like texture.  It wasn't quite there though so I added 10 grams of peanuts and that helped a lot with the texture.  The flavor was good once I got used to it so I think this can work for me.  My thinking is that it was still a little too "wet" not moist but wet came to mind and the dryness of the peanuts offset that.  So after processing would you just cook on the stove a few minutes in butter or olive oil for a quick fix or would you maybe toast in the oven on a cookie sheet drizzled with oil for 15 minute or so around 250 degrees if you have the time?  This was really close to something that I think would be really good.  The sight and texture was quite similar to couscous.  It did come out good but I think with a bit of work it would be really good.

@Seagal - When you visit Hawaii, visit and stay anywhere outside of Waikiki and I would even steer clear of the other resorts like Ko'Olina, Waikoloa, Kihei, or Lahaina/Kaanapali.  While there are beautiful properties there it is, to me anyway, like the mainland and the perception you would have of Hawaii.  Go off the beaten track a bit and you can experience what Hawaii is really all about.  On Oahu, stick to the Windward side (Kaneohe, Kaawa, Hauula), Maui (Hana, north shore), Molokai (anywhere), Big Island (Puna, Pahoa, Kalapana, Volcano, South side, Hamakua, Waimea, Hawi).  They are off the beaten path but you will encounter true Hawaii at her best.  Trust me, we don't walk around saying Aloha all the time but we do try to live it.

Bishop

You live in one of the Top 5 states for Type 2 diabetes population per capita, I suspect - with all of those plate lunches, and general culinary culture anchored firmly around carbs, and what I'll politely refer to as lifestyle.  I love laulau like you wouldn't believe, and so long as you take it easy on the rice and mac salad (and spam musubis) - so to speak - you'll be okay.  

While I consider them a huge embarrassment, L&L introduced low carb options a decade or so ago, but for different motivations.

The only thing that surprised me more recently involved poke - some folks actually put quite a bit of sugar in their offerings, which I had not expected.  Just have to make your own, which is not a big deal there.  At all.

Some of the usual korean joints have some hidden carbs in the marinades and hawaii-only (or "hawaii-mostly") variants like meat-jun, but it's not as big a surprise as you develop a feel for suspect dishes and such.

Java

if you sorta steam it then it stays a bit wet & heavy ~ not bad, just heavy ~ i've only done it two different ways........put it in a hot, oiled skillet and "fry" it with some chopped onions & garlic and then also start it off the same way, but then add a bit of water or chicken broth to gently steam it

if using it to make a pizza crust you have to steam it and then wring it out really well in some thin towels

others here may have other ideas on how to cook it

meyery2k

@ Bishop - Well on top of living in a state that is a top 5, loving local cuisine a little too much, being obese, and not exercising, we can throw Native American into the mix and some family members (my Grandfather) that have had T2 and I am probably just screaming, "T2 come and take me!".  Honestly I would forego the rice and mac salad to eat a larger lau lau or a portion of poke.

I do make my own poke.  It is much less expensive and I can do it as well as the store.  Even pre dx I made my own.

Korean - I can make meat jun which, interestingly, my Korean friend tells me is not Korean but a Western food much like chop suey.  He still loves to eat it though.  Kalbi marinades and a lot of the sauces probably do have sugar in them.  Shoyu Potato and Taegu is a no go from now on.  But that can be more kalbi, and meat jun. :(

Japanese - If there is scrambled egg in your bento, it will probably have sugar in it.

L&L - You are absolutely right.  Eddie Flores, the owner, is a savvy business man and jumped on the Atkins bandwagon when that fad came around.  He also jumped onto the ramen burger fad when someplace in NY started the craze of using Ramen noodle in lieu of a hamburger bun.  Not knocking him at all though, very astute.

Have you lived in Hawaii?  You sound familiar with a lot of things here. ~ Mike

meyery2k

Over the past 2 days I have managed to limit Net carbs to 39 on both days (No I didn't eat exactly the same food 2x lol...).  My fasting BG was 91, a new personal best.  This is a significant drop since my readings over the past week had ranged from 98-107.  This is the only real significant change I have tried.  I will stay the course today and see if, at this time my BG stays in the 90's.  It does seem to plateau for a bit then drops so this is what I might see here.

sillygirl

Ok I have no appetite but you guys are making me hungry!!!!!!

Congrats on the FBG!!!!

I live in the land of the mouse!!! We have every chain restaurant know to mankind. Authentic southern food not so much. If you want fresh seafood you have to head out to the beaches. Even then most times if you want real fresh fish you need to haul it out of the water yourself.

meyery2k

The trend continues hopefully.  34.3 net carbs and read at 92 today (98, 91, 92 over past 3 days).  Lowest trend so far.  Will continue.  Also planning to split exercise between morning and evening.  I want to increase distance to 4 miles and it takes too much time in one go so I will split into (2) 2 mile sessions.  Hopefully a little less aches and pains doing it this way too.

As far as food experimenting, I will do this in earnest once my numbers are steady.  There has been a generally downward trend.  For a while I was at a plateau but cutting back carbs more (from about 100 a day to 50) seems to have broken the logjam but it could also be just about anything else, lol...

I would like to see how I tolerate a baked potato once in a while or a sourdough roll but I need a good baseline to be sure of the results.

I had a great result with trying cauliflower "rice" last night.  I concentrated on just getting the florets, processed until "riced", sprayed a little olive oil in the frying pan and heated on medium until dry.  I paired this with Chinese Mabo Tofu pork and it worked great.  I would never convince anyone it is rice (myself included) but it was a fine alternative taste and texture wise.

I will even try (gasp!) a Coke one day just to see.

I have dabbled with monitoring and I generally PP at around 140 in 2 hours.  My worst was 149 (this was at 3 hours) after a stupid decision to eat just salad, a roll, and a small piece of purple sweet potato pie.  I foolishly thought the fiber in the veggies would "protect" me and maybe they did but that was too many simple carbs no matter what (I think).  Not only the bad BG but I was HUNGRY 3 hours later.  If I concentrate on proteins, fats, and fibers, this doesn't happen.

Like you all say, you won't really know how anything is affecting you unless you try and see.

Any commentary or suggestions would be welcome.  If I am going about this wrong, I am open to hearing that too. 

Kit

The trend continues hopefully.  34.3 net carbs and read at 92 today (98, 91, 92 over past 3 days).  Lowest trend so far.  Will continue.  Also planning to split exercise between morning and evening.  I want to increase distance to 4 miles and it takes too much time in one go so I will split into (2) 2 mile sessions.  Hopefully a little less aches and pains doing it this way too.

My schedule is such that I just don't have time to do everything in one go.  Splitting it up during the day is just fine and has been working well for me.

Congratz on your lower morning numbers.  Now just see if you can drop those PP numbers some.  :)

meyery2k

Kit - Thank you.  I am trying to baseline my fasting BG and kind of letting PP take care of itself for now.  I do check PP but I am not stressing overly.  When I eat right, I observe in the 120's sometimes 110's 2-3 hours post meal.  I have gone from carb king to LCHF in a little over a month so it has been a big adjustment for me mentally and physically.

I know I see downward trends of BG because of diet, exercise, weight loss, and maybe having thyroid hormones too.  The doctor said it would be weeks before I was baseline and I see his point now.  I was so happy that he gave such positive comments when I was fasting in the 130's to the 140's about 3 weeks ago  If I saw that today, I would wig out!. I started in at 291 on the morning after dx on Jan 15, was shooting in the 130's-140's around Jan 25, was recently in the low 100's with a few high 90's and now seem to be (hopefully) safely in the 90's.  So much good is coming from my combined efforts that I really don't have any baselines yet and don't know what my new normals are.  I know I am getting close though, since my BG can't go too much lower before I am hypo lol...

It might just be my imagination but it seems like I get a little higher fasting right before I see a drop in weight of a pound or two.  In my minds eye I imagine a glob of fat being consumed and maybe the stuck sugar in there makes it go up.  Totally unscientific, I know, but that is what it seems like.

If this is not logical though, I would encourage dialogue. ~ Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.