Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Jicama?

meyery2k

I am sorry - I have yet another question for low carb.  Please forgive me.

What is the opinion on jicama?  1 cup (130 grams) is a pretty generous portion.  11g of carbs, 6 of which are fiber.  Compard to a russet potato (100 g) is 18 grams of carbs in which only 1.3 is fiber.  So if I am understanding carb counts on a basic level the net carbs for jicama would be 5 which compares closely to kale when looking at the net carbs (1 cup of kale being 8.8 grams less 3.6 fiber)

The potato is a little better in overall nutrition but with other vegetables I can easily get the nutrients I need lol...  I eat it raw and the consistency remind me of a softer, moister potato with a bit of sweetness to it. 

I think, like a yam, you could make decent fries or chips and even perhaps some type of a mash.  Kind of thinking mashed beets and jicama might be a workable thing.

If I am wrapping my head around how carbs work, I begin to see why the potato, although very nutritious in some regards, is not workable in a diet where you are trying to cut carbs.

Mike

janice21475

When my Husband was first diagnosed I had Jicama planted in the garden. We were doing very low carb then and had no issues with having it for evening meals. Besides being kind to BG readings, it is delicious, cold, fried, steamed, mixed with carrots. It is a very tasty tuber. Have not planted it again but wish I had some now.

It lines to run long vines, takes a lot of tending if you are trying to keep it in a small area. We bought the seeds thru someone on eBay.

Glad you are being so involved in your carb intake.

I remember now, I used to shred the Jicama very, very fine and we ate it raw. It is almost like dessert.

Enjoy, Janice

meyery2k

Great.  I really like jicama and plan to try some different ways to prepare it.  Thank you.  It is so nice to hear there are things you CAN eat lol...

@ Janice - I live in a condo and would not be able to plant this.  I do live near a Farmer's Market and have access to many wonderful produce products for what you should pay for them. ~ Mike

inglucerant

I love, love, love jicama, and it doesn't increase my bg at all. Trader Joes has jicama sticks, if you can't get a fresh one, and they also have a couple of dips that are only 1 gram of carbs per tablespoon. Jicama with these dips makes a terrific snack.

Seagal

It is good with lime/lemon juice & sprinkle of chili powder.

In the beginning, I would use it as a sub for potatoe (cooked), but prefer cauliflower mashed with butter.

They are pretty pricey, but so is cauliflower :D

sillygirl

I have never tried this. I'm going to have to see if i can special order this at the supermarket.  Has anyone fried it like french fries since it tastes similar to potatoes?

Seagal

Yes, I tried it as hash browns and potato fries, but it just didn't do it for me.  Maybe I did it wrong and there might be some wonderful recipes on some low carb sites!

janice21475

. . . . . I'm going to have to see if i can special order this at the supermarket. . . . . .

Sillygirl, I have seen it in Publix. Not too often at our local store.

Hope you can at least get to taste it. :)

Esox

If you can slice it thin enough, it can used as a tortilla/taco shell. A Mandolin or slicer helps, unless you have ninja knife skills.

Kevin

meyery2k

I tried my grand scheme and tried making mashed jicama.  I mixed in a medium carrot.  Boiled for about 12 minutes.  It does not mash particularly well with a hand masher but the blender did the job.  I had a steak, mashed jicama, some green beans, a small salad and a 5 oz. glass of red wine.  The consistency was good.  I would compare it to turnip or rutabaga.  The flavor was good (I mashed with butter, salt, pepper, and sour cream).  I will leave the carrot out because it was a little too sweet.  I am happy that I have found a decent alternative to mashed potatoes.

Now for the BG - I exercised before meal.  I had a handful of almonds about 2 hours before pre meal testing.  Read was 82 (which is the best read I have EVER had so far).  I took my Metformin (500g 2x daily),  I ate the meal leisurely and took about 20 minutes to finish everything.  I took 2 readings...

1 hour PP - 97

2 hour PP - 92

Net carbs for this day were approximately 44.

Thoughts?  This looks like a win for me!

sillygirl

I found jicama yesterday at walmart! havent seen it at publix.

I just tasted it raw. It has the texture of a perfect granny smith apple, but the flavor of cabbage and mild apple mixed. I think it would taste great in a salad but i would need to marinade it first. Raw cabbage flavors isnt my favorite. Iam currently roasting some like potato wedges in bacon fat, garlic and pepper. Well see how that goes. I think i'll try it in mashed potatoes tomorrow.

Thank you for introducing me to a new food!

sillygirl

The bacon fat totally overwhelmed the flavor.

Jicama is sooo sweet. I bet it would taste amazing as a potato chip. I could totally see it with sea salt and vinegar flavoring. The sweet chip with the salty and sour!!  I dont know if i wanna set up the fry-a-lator just to make jicama chips though. Seems wrong to create a new potato chip! Plus they might become addicting!!!!!

sillygirl

I tried it with butter today!!! Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sliced it thin. Tossed it in melted butter just to lightly coat it. Roasted it in the oven on 420 till the edges were lightly golden. I used sour cream as a dip but it really didnt need it. Oh my!!!!!!!! This was amazing!!!!! My new favorite food!

Peggy_TX

If you can slice it thin enough, it can used as a tortilla/taco shell. A Mandolin or slicer helps, unless you have ninja knife skills.

Kevin

We have a local grocery that sells thinly sliced jicama "wraps" -- sliced very thin and then rolled with shredded cucumber inside.     They're a strange cross between spring rolls and taquitos....     they make GREAT snacks.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.