Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DorthyFK

trying to figure out if my symptoms are diabetic

DorthyFK

Hello, I am here writing to hopefully find out if the problems I am having are related to diabetes. 

I am a 31 year old female, with a history of high carb and sugar vegetarian diet since birth. Over the last 5 years I have made a strong effort to eat a highly nutritious diet but prior to then I did have sugar as a stable in my daily consumption and low protein.

For the last 3 years, I have been experiencing pain in my leg muscles, tibialis anterior, my hips, around glut medius and TFL down the side of my legs, and at times in my forearm extensors and upper back/shoulders/traps. At times, all areas throb and ache, and other times it is just the tibialis anterior. These aches do not seem related to exercise or time of day, but stress does make it worse.

I have observed, the pain is relieved by caffeine, but only for a few hours, relieved by IB profin but not tylenol, mildly improved by tumeric in high doses, relieved by exercise but only for a short period of time.

I had one basic blood test about 6 months ago where everything was normal except blood sugar was slightly elevated to "pre-diabetic" range. The doctor said it was probably just stress and not a concern.

My blood pressure is also high often, (not too high, 140/90) but goes down with stress managment practices to around 130/80. My heart rate is almost always around 89 however, even though I am an ex athelete and still very active.

I also have very cold hands and feet, and when i dont wear socks at night the cold is very noticeably uncomfortable. 

I recently developed an ulcer, and I have been advised to avoid IB profin and coffee, which were my only source of relief from the muscle pain. 

My vision has gotten a lot worse in the last year, and I started wearing my prescription that I never used. I do think it varies from day to day. Some days It is noticibly worse. 

Other than the ulcer issues, my GI has always for the most part been normal and everything is "regular" and i eat a gluten free diet. The switch to GF a year ago helped a lot with my energy but did not seem to effect the muscle pains. 

I do not have any other remarkable symptoms except for requiring a lot of sleep to feel rested.. at times 9-10 hours, and some fatigue issues which I try to manage with coffee or other stimulants.

i took birth control from age 15 to 25 but no longer do, and have a history of MANY small infections such as strep throat and staph skin lesions which i no longer get since I changed my diet 5 years ago, (these infections occured when I was in undergrad and partying and drinking a lot of alcohol and not finishing my antibiotics,) But the point is that I have taken A LOT of antibiotics over the years, so I have some flora issues and yeast but I thinks is pretty managed now. 

I know this information is scattered, but im just hoping someone can tell me what type of doctor I should see, or what types of tests would be best. Or if anyone thinks this is some type of early atherlosclerosis or vascular issue. If I have damaged my vessels by having high blood sugar, is there anyway to reverse the damage? 

thank you!

adiantum

Hi Dorthy, Welcome to the forum.

You have quite a few issues going on there & I hope you get relief soon.

It's not possible for us to give medical knowledge but I recommend you get your GP to run an HBA1C test

This will give a % of blood glucose results from the past 3 months.

I was also vegetarian before Dx with diabetes even though I was adamant  I was eating a healthy diet.

Re the aches & pains.. are you taking statins for cholesterol?

predb4

You need some more thorough testing.  Muscle pain could be deficiency in magnesium and then exarcebated by coffee.

I used to take plenty pain killers before diabetes, but stopped since then.

Many doctors brush you off and tell you to go your merry way when pre-diabetic.  You can get a cheap meter without a prescription, record fasting numbers, then the numbers before a meal, 1hr, 2 hrs and 3 hours after a meal.  Record that for about a week and you will see a pattern.  Then you bring that to the doctor and insist on the hbA1c test which relates to the blood sugar level for the past 3 months.

I grew up gluten-free, then got on the low-fat bandwagon.  For diabetics, that diet is not healthy.  I think I was sold shares on the Brooklyn bridge.

Diabetes is easy to diagnose, but the doctors are really ignorant about it.

Cora

You sound like what my Mom has - Polymyalgia Rheumatica. Here's the wiki site:    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymyalgia_rheumatica

It can be diagnosed by a blood test that measures the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). It's an inflammatory disease that can cause the generalized pain you have and is treated easily enough with prednisone. it can also go into remission. I'd suggest getting this blood test done .

ETA Mom has followed an anti inflammatory diet that helps a lot. The addition of avocados has helped cut back on her prednisone requirements a lot.

Kit

Nothing in your description really sounded like diabetes.  You can ask your doctor for an HBA1C test that will give you a pretty good idea of how you are averaging over a 3 moth period.

meyery2k

Dorothy - This is all sound advice.  Please follow it.  We all hope you are not a new member to ClubD!

My recent diagnosis was an unpleasant surprise after foolishly not visiting the doctor for years.  The symptoms are so subtle you just think it is a part of getting older.  I felt tired at the end of the day, I craved sweet drinks, I craved and ate carbs like crazy.  I couldn't really see the forest for the trees.

Now that I am on medication and working to get it under control, I feel so much better!

Go get tested.  Best case is you don't have it and that will be peace of mind.  Worst case, you joined ClubD!  There are so many options with medicine and diet that, while it still needs to be taken seriously, it is not quite as scary as it once was.

Please let us know how it goes either way.  The members on this forum are genuinely caring and interested. ~ Mike

BigMouithXXX

Great advice the only thing I can add is you ought to look into proboitics that will compete with the ulcer bacteria.  Even yogurt bacteria will compete with the ulcer bacteria but not as well as most probiotics.  It might take 6 months to get relief.  Most GI docs think we should all be on probotics all the time.

BigMouithXXX

You ought to be taking some kind of BP med.  Your BP is in the pre-hypertension range.  That can do damage and that is more certain if you are diabetic or pre diabetic.  ACE inhibitors are the most helpful then ARBs for diabetics.  Both pre-D and Ds produce more stress hormones than normal persons.  One of those Angiotension is very destructive an is the primary causative agent of all diabetic complications.  The is what ACE inhibitors stop your body from making and ARBs block some of their destructive processes.  Although sugar may play a small roll for some complications most can happen to persons with normal blood sugars. 

art

The rapid changes in eye sight are a possible indicator.

Know a diabetic? Test yourself once or twice

That's what tipped me off

Art

MariaGordon

Yes your some symptoms are looking like you have diabetic but if you want to be specific you should test it at least once. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.