Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Ler's talk about liver dumps

JanetP

I am getting very tired of early morning liver dumps.  I can almost set my clock by when they happen. So, let's refresh my memory about them as well as perhaps enlighten the newbies.

In my case, they don't seem to bed affected by what I eat or when I eat or how much or how little I exercise.  The old liver is going to dump when it wants to dump.

I am sure stress also plays a part in the process.  I have PTSD and my therapist and I are doing some deep digging at the moment.  I was triggered earlier this week and a friend had to pull me down off the ceiling.  It was the worst episode I had had in years.  It's time to back up and make some changes.

And I have noticed that the issue has gotten worse since I had to stop using Victoza for financial reasons (endo appointment in March, that is the first thing on the list to discuss).

So, peeps, how do you manage  liver dumps? or do you?

Those of you with brains better than mine, kindly chime in here.

samuraiguy

I've just started 1 Tbsp ACV at bedtime since my PP numbers pretty much stay under 120 mg/dl 90% of the time to hopefully get my A1C down (lab says my FBG is creeping over 100 mg/dl despite my meter never reading that high) despite my healthcare's team reluctance to even allow me a minimal dose of Metformin. 

samuraiguy

I drink a cocktail of ACV, water, and stevia almost daily.

I've been reluctant to do ACV because of GERDS but I guess just 1 Tbsp isn't as bad as you would think acid-wise. First day I used it my FBG was 84 mg/dl (another finger to double check, 85 mg/dl). I will give an update after a whole month of readings.

jwags

Janet, I think it is trial and error. I was able to eliminate mine by changing the time I took my metformin. by the way I have changed the timing about 10 different times. I tend to eat a late dinner around 7:30 or so then eat a late night snack that is high in fat. Atkins bsrs work pretty well. I tried the ACV and it didn't work. How much metformin are you taking? Some Type 2's need a basal insulin to knock down DP especially if you are taking other meds thst raise your bgs.

Java

i need to be between 104-110(ish) when i go to bed, then have a glucose tab somewhere between 2-4 a.m. and i normally wake up in the 80s

if i am higher when i go to bed, for whatever reason, i wake up soaking wet around 4-5 a.m.

haven't figured that one out yet but can avoid that if i watch my carbs around bedtime so i'm not over 110 when i go to bed

can you set your alarm a half hour or so before your usual dump and have a small snack or glucose tab to prevent it?

TX_Clint

I wish I could give you a sure fire way to control the dp but I struggle with it also. I'm trying milk thistle right now but I think you already take or have taken that. The jury is still out on whether it will help or not. I'm of the opinion that as long as it's not damagingly high and my A1c still comes in ok then it's just a nagging nuisance I'd like to get rid of and not anything critical to a long healthy life. I have to back off on things sometimes to get a broader perception and put things into their proper place of importance. It's real easy to lose that proper perspective. Many, many things in life get more attention and are more important at the moment than a good examination would dictate. It's like getting into a spin when flying. You can easily lose it then but you can correct by taking a deep breath, don't panic, and pull it out.

jwags

I always wake up between 2:30 and 5 am. I have a feeling my adrenals are out of whack. I also take my Lisnopril at night which makes me pee every couple of hours. I try to get my before bed reading as close to 100 or under to get a morning bgs in the 70'a-80's. If you take a glucose tab or eat something in the middle of the night then it is really not a fasting Bg.

CandaceV

The only change I made that positively affected my liver dumps was 3-4 hours of vigorous activity (working at a grocery store) 5 nights/week.  This same activity during the day had no effect.  Now, my liver dumps are few and far between, fastings are usually between 75-80. 

That being said, last night I worked much more vigorously than usual and my fasting was 92 this morning.  The last time I was above 83 was in November.  Tomorrow it will probably be back to 75-80.  I didn't eat anything different, however there's a certain amount of stress taking your husband for a CT scan looking for lung cancer, which I did yesterday morning and got up at 5am to be there by 7am.  The higher fasting in November was the morning after being told my brother-in-law suddenly died.  Stress is my trigger, I know it, therefore I worked my butt off last night because I knew it was coming. 

I shouldn't be complaining, I'm lucky to have it under control 99% of the time and was able to determine when to expect it.

Does stress affect your numbers too?

Kit

While not 100%, those 3am wakings and the DP have calmed down since I started taking Black Cohosh.  Not perfect, but I have noticed that it doesn't happen as often.

I take 2 a day, one on the morning and the second in the evening.  I forget how much is in each pill.  I'll have to look tonight.

Note - I'm not taking it for DP, but to help with those monster hot flashes I started having at night.  The DP thing was just a happy coincidence,  :)

moneymeister

I have morning dumps and am usually over 120 every morning. As soon as I eat I bounce up to 160 or so then down to 115 by 10 AM and stay good all day. I have no idea other than basal insulin that I may try.

GAgirl

I can be at 106-112 if I do not eat late at night ...I mean, like I eat a LCHF meal for supper around 6:00PM and nothing after except maybe a slice of cheese and an olive or three, but no other large food thing. Only water, too. But-

I am also keeping my bg's lower all during the day with LCHF small portions and only 1 meal a day before my supper meal, so I do like a coffee for breakfast with a tbsp. cocnut oil and splash of heavy whipping cream and then for lunch maybe (breakfast) 2 eggs and 2 slices bacon and some cheese, and so I go into supper with bgs around 89 or so so the small supper of some veg, meat, and fat, help me stay low enough that when the dump hits I don;t go more than 112 usually at the highest. I take Met 500 in the morning and with supper.  I hope this helps...

I see my portion control is a big deal in my bg numbers even with LCHF

jwags

If I just drink tea with collagen powder in it for breakfast my bgs will spike quite high. I will wake up around 100 and an hour later they will be 130-140. As soon as I eat a 10-15 carb breakfast they drop below 120. So I need to eat frequent Mel's plus a late dinner. The later the better. I tend to eat a yogurt or Atkins bar late at night to keep my liver happy.

Vilya

I have morning dumps and am usually over 120 every morning. As soon as I eat I bounce up to 160 or so then down to 115 by 10 AM and stay good all day. I have no idea other than basal insulin that I may try.

This is so funny, I made a blog post today with the same title as this thread!

Laura, this is pretty much exactly what happens to me, too. Doesn't seem to matter how good my bedtime BG is, by morning it's 120 - 140. After I eat, it drops, and then is really good the rest of the day. Before dinner I'm usually in the 90's.

I haven't tried eating something right before bed, so I'll have to try that. I was thinking maybe a few almonds, or a spoonful of peanut butter. I'll try it tonight. :)

sbwertz

Some people dump more easily than others.  Look on the bright side...it is better than passing out from low blood sugar!  My husband dumps easily.  He has been diabetic for more than 20 years, and has basically become numb to the symptoms of low blood sugar.  So he dumps.  He is very sensitive to temperature changes.  When the weather gets hotter or colder he has to adjust his lantus or he will dump when his body burns more sugar trying to warm (or cool) his body.  He will dump if he exercises more than usual, or if he is highly stressed.  Anything that ups his metabolism will make him dump. 

If his bedtime bg is below 125 he will dump before morning.

Sharon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.