Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Question about diet

meyery2k

I am finding low carb is working out better for me than I thought.  I am giving away my sodas and high carb foods since I am not eating those things right now.  In my stubborn honeymoon days being in ClubD! I bought a bag of Doritos of a flavor I have never tried before.  Pre D I would eat the whole bag (1,000+ calories and 170g carbs) no problemo.

I did so want to try them so after exercising I opened the bag and took 3 chips.  They weighed up at 11 grams which would be about 8 g carbs.  I ate 1 chip and then a 2nd to see how I liked them.  Unfortunately, I like them a lot.  So at chip 3 I had the angel and the devil shoulder argument.

The devil - You have worked so hard!  Look at all you have done!  A few chips aren't gonna hurt ya! (A few would have been a generous handful well over 1 serving of 28 grams).

The angel - You have worked so hard!  Look at all you have done!  I have no idea what a few chips will do to you but do you want to take 1 step back for the 2 you have taken?  You got to taste them and there will be other times.  Stop now while you can.  I put chip 3 back into the bag, closed up the bag and concentrated on making my dinner.

So at <8g carbs I don't think I blew all my hard work and it was pre dinner which has meat and vegetables to help keep my stomach busy.  I am glad I had the willpower to try something and stop.  Part of the reason I stopped is that I feel I would have been accountable to the people here that are helping me and I would have let you down.

So my question is, can you eat very small portions of "bad" carbs?  Maybe it would seem it is not worth the temptation but I do sometimes want to try the bread at a restaurant or a dessert.  I don't think sneaking a fry or 3 is a big deal is it?  Or is it like an alcoholic and it leads to more and more?

I suspect the answer will be try it and test but I would like to get some insight on this thinking.

The irony though is that today is my lowest carb intake day so far at 45.2.  I haven't crunched the net numbers but there was a lot of cauliflower and zucchini which always help!

Mike

meyery2k

Yes, I understand. Like sausage. I don't want to see how they are made but every once in a while they are so good lol...

I eat them very rarely even in the bad old days Sometimes I just want to try a new flavor.

I eat a much better diet now with quality protein and vegetables

Kale is one of my favorites Zucchini is my pasta. I have done zucchini and meatballs and it turned out quite nicely.

mbc1963

For me, giving myself permission to eat "just a little" doesn't work - I tend to move toward eating lots and lots of carbs. My body doesn't see the point of a few Doritos - it wants to overindulge. So I just try not to do any. This might be different for different folks. Me, I have no trouble turning down alcohol or cigarettes, but carbs are my weakness.

samuraiguy

For me it's setting some BG goals (A1C, fasting, 1 and 2 hour postprandial) and indulge only if it doesn't knock me out of my goal range. If an occasional indulgence makes my 2 hour PP go higher than goal range, but my A1C is still in range then I pretty much know how many times I can do that before it becomes a problem and I need to cut back.

predb4

well, it took me a while to trim the cheat list.

if i have to cave in to the god of death, it will be either cake or bread, but it has to be made by me, so i can avoid it that way.

i plan the cake in bread around my public holiday schedule.

Java

i don't have a prob with it as long as i account for how many points it will push up my BG

however sometimes portion control is difficult and i've been know to, uh, overindulge in the naughty carb thang a bit

life is a dance of finding your balance

and so it goes.........

Joisey

"You can't eat just one". Folks have been making money for years on the fact that these are some of the most addictive formulas around, (and they're constantly trying to make them more so). I think the secret is not to dwell on the dorito, but on it's new healthy replacement. I'm not sure of the brand, but my supermarket has these wonderful 

"Snap Pea Crisps".

Kit

So, are a few Dorritos ok once in a while if you plan for them and fit them into your diet.  Strictly speaking, probably yes.

However, I have personally found that trying to limit those types of foods just leads to more cravings for those kinds of foods.  I personally try to find alternatives that fit better, taste just as good, and don't kick off those cravings.

My personal one for that type of thing are crackers made from cheese in the microwave.  Can also be done in oven or on stove top, but I prefer the microwave.  Just put a small pile of cheese on some parchment paper and nuke for about 60 seconds.  Exact timing with vary on your microwave, how big you make it, and the type of cheese you use.

I love ones made from parmesean mixed with a little finely chopped rosemary.  Or cheddar mixed with a little chipotle pepper.  Sometimes I add a little flax meal or chia seeds depending on my mood.  I don't eat a lot of them, or very often, but depending on the flavor combinations I use, they can taste way better than any Dorritos.  Or just pepperjack all by itself.

The most important thing to me is that whatever I choose be good in its own right, not because its an acceptable replacement for something else.  I would have adored these cheese crackers without the D thing.

meyery2k

Thank you again for all the sound advice.  I am not going to become a Dorito junkie by any means.  They were never really my thing in the pre D days except when they had a new flavor.  Of course the whole bag would have been consumed in 1 sitting lol...

So they are sitting in the pantry, my curiosity has been satisfied as to how they taste, my PP didn't wig out (was 98 2 hours PP), my BG this morning was 93 which has been in line with the past several days and I certainly don't have a craving for them.  They will likely go stale and then get thrown out.  heck, I will just throw them out now...

I understand the temptation to keep going.  I almost did that yesterday using the justification of my achievements.  Fortunately I realized how hard won these achievements were and didn't want to blow them on the short term satisfaction over-engineered corn chips would have brought me.

The almonds and cheese javagurrl suggests are WAY better than any flavor Doritos ever made ;)  That is a match like Peanut Butter and Jelly!

Mike

jwags

I have to go cold turkey on any junk food. If I was going to splurge on carbs it would be with bread or a dessert, not chips. I normally try to visualize how many points I will spike. I couldn't stop at 3. If you can try to purge your kitchen of bad food. your diabetes will thank you for it.

Hammer

One thing to keep in mind is that carbs are addictive...really, they are.  The more carbs you eat, the more carbs you crave.  When you limit your carbs for a period of time, the cravings for them will stop, but if you go back and eat them, the cravings will return.

If you want a snack that has no carbs, you could try getting a pack of Bridgeford thin pepperoni slices, and baking them in the oven.  I tried microwaving them but it overheated my microwave oven, so it's probably best if you bake them in a regular oven.  You bake them until all of the juices have been baked out, making them a crisp, with a kinda like over cooked bacon look and taste.   They were actually pretty good.

Kit

I've also seen people make chips out of thinly sliced zucchini either in the microwave or oven.  They can be sprinkled with any flavoring you like and might do well with dips.

I still haven't given them a try yet to see what I think of them.  :)

meyery2k

Wow!  Great responses!  What I take away from this is that there are a thousand different ways to approach this and each one is right for someone!  Man, ClubD! sure messes with my poor old brain!

For now the Ritz Chips, crackers. bread, chips (Doritos or otherwise), Stove Top, Bisquick. etc. go away since they are not compatible with my BG control or weight loss goals.  I really can live without them and live quite well.  Steak in one hand, a bag of Doritos in the other?  No brainer, give me the steak!

Someone FINALLY asked me if I lost weight today!  Great day!

meyery2k

Well I had a little setback.  My fasting BGs were in the low 90's with even an 89 the past 4 days.  Today was 110.  I tested right after and it was 107.  The only different thing I did yesterday was I had 2 serving of this super lean pork tenderloin for dinner and mixed vegetables of cauliflower, zucchini, and carrots that were roasted in the oven along with the meat.  After meal I had a serving of almonds and cheese as a type of dessert.  I ate around 730PM like usual.  PP test was 110 after 1.5 hours.

I did get up a little later (615) than usual (5-530).  I also lost a little weight in the night and I have noticed that a drop will seem to be accompanied with a short term rise in fasting BG for a day or two.

I threw a pity party and then realized that

1) I woke up this morning and all parts are mostly working right.

2) I have 2 cats that love me (especially when they are hungry)

3) I have a wonderful family

4) I live in Hawaii and every day is a beautiful day

5) Yesterday is done, I can control what I do today, tomorrow will take care of itself whether for good or for evil

6) With all of the exercise I am sore.  Maybe I am fighting off a bug and don't even know it so my body is doing what it is supposed to be doing.  Or my liver dumped and I have no control over that.

7) This has happened before during my downward trend.  There would be several days of roughly the same reads, a day or 2 somewhat higher, then trend even lower than before.

That ended the pity party and I sent everyone home.  When I went down to exercise the first song on the player, which I have set to random selection, was "I'm A Loser" by The Beatles.  That gave me a chuckle and cleared the glooms.  I went on to get one of my better times on my 2 miles.

I also felt a little ashamed because there are people that have REAL BG control problems and are facing drastic complications of diabetes and I am in the corner whining about a little bit high BG.

So today is Farmer's Market day which means I get to walk all around downtown Hilo (not as big a deal as it sounds lol) and buy wonderful fresh vegetables.  I also will look around some natural food stores to see what is out there that is low carb.

I am now going to make a good breakfast.  Sausage and cheese omelet, Kona coffee, and I am going to try a cup of Almond milk.  In the pre ClubD! days I tried, and liked, vanilla flavored one but that is a no no now lol...

Aloha ~ Mike

sillygirl

Mike

Did you eat more carrots then you normally would. Carrots are fairly high is carbs. I haven't be able to touch them. Also protein can elevate your bg if you eat more than you need. Depending on your level of activity most people eat between 50-75g a day. Meat definitely wont raise your bg in the hours following eating them. They have to fully digest and that takes a while.

I love the list. Especially the cats :) That is a great way to avoid getting in a funk.

You shouldn't be ashamed. i would have been frustrated and perplexed if i ate well and had higher numbers than i thought i should have. Ok maybe i have whined about that a time or 2 myself.

What time is breakfast tomorrow?

meyery2k

Mike

Did you eat more carrots then you normally would. Carrots are fairly high is carbs. I haven't be able to touch them. Also protein can elevate your bg if you eat more than you need. Depending on your level of activity most people eat between 50-75g a day. Meat definitely wont raise your bg in the hours following eating them. They have to fully digest and that takes a while.

I love the list. Especially the cats :) That is a great way to avoid getting in a funk.

You shouldn't be ashamed. i would have been frustrated and perplexed if i ate well and had higher numbers than i thought i should have. Ok maybe i have whined about that a time or 2 myself.

What time is breakfast tomorrow?

I don't know if I ate too many carrots or not.  I don't think so since I just took 1 and this meal lasted 2 times.  I used 2 carrots which weighed about 60 grams each so I would estimate about 60 grams which would have been roughly 4.1g of net carbs.  1 serving of meat was 4 oz.  I had a little extra in my budget so, I must admit, I had 2 servings (8 oz. total).  My total protein for the day was 100 of which 53 was from that meal.  I also threw a couple tablespoons of rice vinegar I now realize on the veggies.  I just looked at the label and 1T is 5 grams of sugar.  So that was 10 grams of simple carbs not accounted for!  I just assumed it was vinegar so it was safe.  Lesson learned, when in doubt read the label lol...

Maybe that and the meat.  It was just so good, very lean, and I was well within calorie limits so I figured it would be ok.  But maybe it was the carrots and rice vinegar that was the clinch.  Ironically on Thursday, I had 130g of protein and 34.4 net carbs (my lowest ever) and I read at 93 the next day which has been my average reading over the past several days.  I am too new to determine if this is the norm since I have been coming down from 291 over the past month to 40 days ago when first diagnosed.

I don't know if this is dangerous thinking but 107 is better than 115 but not as good as 100.  I just have to pick myself up, brush myself off, and carry on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.