Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bamagal

I fell off the wagon

Bamagal

After over a year of a low carb diet I fell off the wagon yesterday. I must get right back on today.

DH and I went to a Mexican restaurant and I had a few beans..then a few chips and salsa. Soon I was eating everything. It didn't stop when I got home. I probably ate well over 100 carbs in one day. This is my first major flub.

Time to go check the sugar!

Peggy_TX

Welcome to the human race!!     :D

Pat yourself on the back of all the time you STAYED on the wagon, hop back on, and don't fret about one evening's diversion

Life's a marathon, not a sprint.

samuraiguy

Congrats on sticking to your diet for so long. Get back on track and realize that little hiccup will do very little damage, if at all, in the grand scheme of things. What I like to do when I am going out to eat is see if they have their menu listed online then pre-plan my order.

macksvicky

Great job on staying on the wagon for so long. One little trip up in all that time is not bad at all! Don't beat yourself up up over it :)

Snow Goose

Shoot, 100 carbs in one day does not mess up my sugar to much. (but you did say over 100 - might mean 199  :rolleyes: )

Your allowed to cheat once in a while. You have to enjoy yourself sometimes.

Peggy_TX

After over a year of a low carb diet I fell off the wagon yesterday. I must get right back on today. DH and I went to a Mexican restaurant and I had a few beans..then a few chips and salsa. Soon I was eating everything. It didn't stop when I got home. I probably ate well over 100 carbs in one day. This is my first major flub. Time to go check the sugar!

I'm currently on a dedicated quest to FIND the wagon, as it's been missing for a while due to some other medical issues...  That said, I know some mexican-restaurant tricks that always worked for me

1) Order a garden salad as soon as you sit down.    If there are chips and salsa at the table, you can spoon some salsa onto your salad as a dressing.   All the flavor and crunch, but none of the chip carbs!

2) I HATE corn tortillas.   Ordering any soft taco in a corn tortilla allows me to eat the inside and treat the "shell" as a plate.   No temptation!

3) If I REALLY want a chip -- even ONE -- I count out ten perfect chips and put them on my plate (or napkin)    Those are my chips.   I know when they begin and end...  I can break them into smaller pieces,   I can save them to eat slowly during the meal.   I can eat them all at once.   But no more going back to the basket.   I find that REALLY hard with 1 chip.   10 helps me believe I've had "enough"

4)  Fajitas (without a tortilla) are my favorite LC option.    You can't really "miss" carbs when you can focus on the sizzling plate!!

kooka

You did good because the key to it all is getting right back up and doing it right again. None of us are perfect or glued to the wagon seat. At least after 11 years I will have to say that I have been sitting in the road many times. Lol

jwags

I have done LC for 9 years and yes I have cheated. I find when we travel, especially overseas it is very hard to stick to LC 100%. Just do the best you can. My trick when we go out to eat is to eat something at home before we go out. So I am always half full when I get there. If I eat a few chips I have a high fat thing like guacamole to neutralize it.

meyery2k

Bamagal - All you have done was be a human.  Nothing wrong there.  Instead of beating yourself up over it, look at it like this.

You had a fine meal, you enjoyed yourself a lot, and you will get on with LC.  If we can't indulge once in a while, life is no fun! 

It appears to me that diabetes is a life of trends and 1 meal is not going to mess you up permanently.  I am still learning how I "work" and occasionally eat the wrong thing.  My fasting yesterday was 107 after a string of low 90's.  I had a 30 minute pity party, decided yesterday is done, I don't know what will happen tomorrow, and I will just try my best today and have a GOOD day.

I watched what I ate and I think I figured out where I went wrong the other day.  I woke up and shot a 93!

The irony is I might have done nothing "wrong" and I was 107 because I was fighting a bug or my liver was being contrary.  Who knows?

The important thing, TRENDS matter more than the number or meal of the day.  You have maintained a wonderful trend on your diet and "Mexican Night" was an anomaly.  Please don't get too upset and this will help you maintain the course.

Mike

Bamagal

I have been craving carbs since I was a "bad" girl at the restaurant. So far I have resisted but it's so tough now that I had a taste. I wonder how many more days until it doesn't bother me.

DH is diabetic too but the carbs don't seem to bother him. He has had potatoes for lunch and breakfast and his BG is just fine. I can practically hear mine rise if I even think about carbs. I know, life isn't fair.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. You've all been there too.

Peggy I usually get the fajitas, and just eat the low carb part. I need to keep doing that from now on. The temptation is much less. My sugar didn't go up after the meal because I took a larger shot of Apidra. I am supposed to take 20 units per meal but when I go low carb I can use 10 instead.

meyery2k

I am still very new to this so I am not sure how qualified I am to throw this out there but as positive as I speak, I miss some carbs.  I love mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, all that stuff.

Cauliflower and zucchini have been lifesavers for me.  If not for these veggies and the ideas given by the people on the forums, I would have failed.  No ifs, ands, or buts.

You can make noodles out of zucchini with a knife but I am much too lazy for that and would just have slices.  My daughter sent me a spiral slicer (which I would never have bought on my own thinking it an "As seen on TV garbage" thing) which works great and makes prep and eating more enjoyable.

I have found that processing cauliflower in a food processor and then heating on the stove until it drys a little works in place of rice for some of the Chinese foods I make.

Jicama is my new "thing".  I am still perfecting on a good mashed jicama and I think I can get there but the truth is it is really good just sliced up and served with some lime and chili powder.  I made a Thai peanut sauce as a dip and jicama sticks went perfectly!  It has the consistency of a moist potato and a very nice refreshing taste and feel.

For salad, kale is my new lettuce.  I eat it raw.  It is much more filling than lettuce (especially iceberg lettuce) and has LOTS of nutrients.  A kale, mushroom, and cheese omelet is delicious (to me anyway) and keeps me easily going until lunch time.

I am trying to like plain almond milk with little success.  I have been given the suggestion to get an unsweetened vanilla or chocolate variety and use Stevia.  I might try putting some vanilla extract and Stevia in a glass of almond milk and try that.

Keep on track and I believe your craves will reduce.  The "problem" with carbs is just that they are so easy to prepare and to digest.  Face it, in 5 minutes I can have a microwaved potato with butter and sour cream and be happy.  That is hard to beat and can't be denied.

There are many easy alternatives and, while they are not that potato, pasta, or whatever, they are delicious, nutritious, and will keep you full far longer.

One valuable piece of wisdom I picked up and would repeat is to make things based on what you like to eat rather than try to concentrate on things you liked in the past.  To that I would add, keep an open mind to trying new things and the culinary world opens wide up. 

Just think, there are meals on here that would blow your mind that don't depend on the old starchy standbys.  If you can pull these off (you can) you are a far better cook for it.

One really out of the box idea is to fry up pepperonis in a pan until they are crisp.  They can be used as a type of cracker.  These would taste great with a salsa or many different dips.  Of course it sounds "weird" because a cracker should be made out of some type of grain or flour.  This is where the beauty of LC lies to me.  Someone has though out of the box and made a good replacement for an old standby.  The same thing is also done with cheese slices.

Please, for the sake of your continued good health and sanity don't dwell on a goof and just stay the path. ~ Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.