Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kooka

Metformin XR versus regular

kooka

Well I had to change my postal health insurance and this one will not cover all of my D supplies or meds. I have always used regular generic metformin and a friend told me several chain stores supply the XR at no cost. Is it as good? I take 2/1000 right now. One with breakfast and one with supper.

dowling gram

I think your friend meant at no cost above what they charge for the regular Metforman. I can't see any store charging nothing for a drug.

Metforman ER is the same as regular Met. except it is a time release form of the drug so you get your dose slowly instead of all at once. Some people find the Er version is easier on the gastrointestinal tract

Moonpie

I seem to recall someone said they were able to get Met at no cost, you will probably have to call around & ask the different stores what the price policy is. I paid the same for reg & ER.

jwags

Giant Eagle had free metformin for a few years but they stopped it. Now it is on the $4 list. it is the same Metformin that you get for any Rx. I have SilverScript Part D and my metformin is less than $2 per month.

kooka

$4.00 at wal mart and Target but free at Meijers and Publix and a few others have not only free metformin but free antibiotics and just added Lipitor to the list. Also Meijers has free prenatal vitamins with a script. You can look all of the stores up online to see what's free.

What I am asking is how does the ER work differently from the regular? Would I only need 1 a day or still need 2? They only give ER at no cost is why I am asking.

kooka

Nix the question. I went over Meijers list and the immediate release is free not the extended release. So now that I have answered my own question kudos to me. :)

moneymeister

My Costco cost for 4/1000 Met XR x 90 days is about 18 bucks without insurance. Six bucks a month is not free but not too shabby.

littlebuddha

am i understanding these posts correctly? is there a place we can get free Metformin? and if not how much does it generally cost a person to pay out of pocket for metformin? right now i take 1,000mg 2x's a day... but my insurance covers it... however if i lose my insurance i'm wondering the cost?

Kit

I had an insurance switch earlier this year and because of a mix up, went a couple of weeks without active coverage.  During that time I had to get my Metformin filled.  I take 500mg twice a day.  The bottle cost me $5.

Its normally about $1.75 with insurance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.