Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

It's official, I am a weird low carb guy...

meyery2k

Some tongue in cheek humor...

I have 3 children.  Those of you with more than 1 child will understand that each child, in their own way, is your favorite.  Unfortunately, they never seem to understand that until they have their own children.

Kala, my youngest, has always been and actually still is my "little buddy".  Even at nearly 20 years old and being in college.  She has a very quick wit, a great quirky dry sense of humor, and loves to give and receive good sarcasm.

I was telling her that I am now the weird low carb guy since I cleaned out the pantry and gave away all the Mac and Cheese, Stove Top, pasta, crackers, chips (including the Doritos), and (gasp!) Coca Cola.  The bottom line is that I don't condemn those foods but they are not compatible with what I need to be doing now.  My son is healthy so this was a windfall for him.  I don't know for how long though because he has seen how much I have changed in a short time and is looking into reducing carbs.  He, however, is not diabetic, so he can fit these foods in carefully.

So I was telling my daughter all this and she had 2 comments for me.

1) Dad, low carb or not, you will always be weird...

2) Dad, I would rather have you a walking around weird low carb guy than a dead in the ground regular carb guy...

I had no response recognizing greatness for what it is!

On top of that I am wearing a shirt given to me 2 years ago for my birthday that I really liked but could not wear because I was too fat.  While it is still a little tight, I can and will wear it with the realization that it will be fitting better very soon!

So even though my fasting BG was 107 after a string of days in the low 90's, today is a good day.

Now off to the Farmers' Market.  Beautiful day, fresh produce, Hawaii, what more could I want?

As much as diabetes sucks, it does offer some high points.  I certainly would not wish upon anyone but when you got it, just gotta deal with it.

Aloha ~ Mike

dowling gram

Smart guy and uber smart daughter. You are right there is no answer for greatness. With attitudes like that you'll be fine

Seagal

Mike, besides being weird, you have a terrific rapor with your daughter/s.

Congrats on being able to fit into the 2 year old shirt, believe me, I know just how that feels!

sillygirl

Hey  Weird Low Carb Guy!!! ;)

Isnt it wonderful to have the full support of your family! Your progress in such a short time is amazing. I have to say all your posts are not only enjoyable to read but uplifting to the spirit. Congrats on the weight loss.

meyery2k

Smart guy and uber smart daughter. You are right there is no answer for greatness. With attitudes like that you'll be fine

Dowling - Without a doubt she is the brains of the outfit but I am the better looking one (also not true) ;)

meyery2k

Hey  Weird Low Carb Guy!!! ;)

Isnt it wonderful to have the full support of your family! Your progress in such a short time is amazing. I have to say all your posts are not only enjoyable to read but uplifting to the spirit. Congrats on the weight loss.

Thank you!  A very kind thing to say but, honestly, my wins are all your guys wins too.  I wouldn't be this far without these forums.

meyery2k

Mike, besides being weird, you have a terrific rapor with your daughter/s.

Congrats on being able to fit into the 2 year old shirt, believe me, I know just how that feels!

Yes - She was a great teen.  Her mother passed away when she was 14 and she came to live with me.  It was a tough haul for both of us at first but we have always had a very strong bond that has served us both well.  I had to be a Mom and a Dad to a teenager in the modern world!  So not only the Dad stuff about don't use drugs and don't get pregnant (tongue in cheek) but the Mom stuff of boy problems, unfair teachers, friends that are not friends, etc...  Our first rule of the house was you can think and say anything you want but, above all, we respect one another.  That rule served us well during times when I was difficult (there were many, believe me) and when she was difficult.

We would disagree, argue, get angry with one another at times but there were never any of the "I hate you!" or "I never wish you were born!" tantrums.  We just would never disrespect one another to think that, much less say it.

Ela

Weird or not, you seems to be a great dad :) . 

And about low carb, yeah, it feels weird in the beginning, but after almost 5 years it feels weird to me to look at those who eat unlimited amounts of carbs.  And who knows, maybe low carbing won't be so "weird" in the nearest future for the most people.  I certainly hope so.

meyery2k

Weird or not, you seems to be a great dad :) . 

And about low carb, yeah, it feels weird in the beginning, but after almost 5 years it feels weird to me to look at those who eat unlimited amounts of carbs.  And who knows, maybe low carbing won't be so "weird" in the nearest future for the most people.  I certainly hope so.

Ela - thank you for the kind words.

My son is asking me all kinds of questions about what I am doing and how.  He mentioned wanting to lose a little weight.  He tried some of my ideas of loading up on proteins and fats.  He noticed, like I do now, how much better they satiate you.  He mentioned putting more meat on a sandwich and he only ate 1 sandwich.  I told him that was great, which it is, and now try replacing the bread with zucchini, cauliflower, and broccoli.  Try making a salad out of that sandwich with a SENSIBLE portion of dressing and see how that holds you over.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.