Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Question about testing

meyery2k

I have been maintaining the LC.  My fasting numbers over the past several days, except for one day at 107 which might have been too much chicken (8 oz. at dinner), have been in the 89-95 range.  I am going to see if these numbers stay here for this week and then look at trying some types of foods to see how much effect they have.

Mentally and physically, I plan to do this out of education, curiosity, and to see what variety I can bring to my meals when I finally lose the weight I need to lose.

I realize that you are not doctors but you are experienced which is something I have learned to value and to trust.

I looked at getting a Relion meter and cheap strips at Walmart (they were out).  I ordered cheap strips for my One Touch meter on Amazon and they give a reading 10 to 20 points lower than the blue strips.  I test 1 right after the other, make sure I set the code correctly, and these results appear to be consistent.  For example, this morning, the cheap strip threw an 80 and the blue strip threw a 91.  So I will baseline my fasting BG with the "good stuff" and while I won't trust the numbers from the cheap strips, I figure if I see the numbers creep over 115 or 120 this is bad.  Some random PP testing with the cheap strips will go as high as 110 1 or 2 hours PP then drop to 80 3 hours so I think this is good rough testing.  Hoping to get Relion and strips before I do any real experimenting though as I have read this seems to be a good meter with inexpensive strips that seem to be relatively accurate.

Please forgive this question if it seems ignorant but I have worked so hard to get here and I don't want to blow it.

Can I "hurt" myself doing this?  My idea would be to test something at breakfast or lunch so it will be burned up by the time I take my fasting BG the next morning.  Now, I don't plan to quaff a 6 pack of Coke, but I will eat my normal lunch and maybe try an actual serving size of white potato.  I would also like to see what some fruits would do.  I love tangerines and there are some tropical fruits that are not super sweet and might work out OK.  I would only do 1 time a day and probably not every day to try and see what certain foods will do.  I would test as best as possible 1 hour, 2 hour, and 3 hour PP.

After some home foods, I would like to try some small take out items that are unique to Hawaii and see what happens.  For example our "classic" breakfast is a Loco Moco which is rice (can order brown), hamburger patty, brown gravy, and over easy egg.  So I would get this as breakfast, test, and see.

I am open minded to any commentary on this and appreciate all the advice given so far! ~ Mike

Snow Goose

I try new things all of the time. I usually wait 90 minutes after the "test" meal and test my blood. If it goes to 120-130 or over after a fasting test of 75, it's a no go for future meals.

I like for it not to go over 110.

But sometimes I might check 2 hrs after the meal to make sure.

dowling gram

Cheap strips may not always be off and expensive ones may not always be on. Meters are not always accurate.  The only way to test a meter and stips is to test within a minute either right before or right after a lab hbA1C test and then compare readings with the lab readings. Because the lab is right if your meter is the same it is accurate. Even if it's not you will know the calculation you'd have to do to get an accurate reading.

Even without accuracy you can track trends and food that spikes your BG. We have all tested foods. Actually it is the only way to know what food is safe for you. I don't think you'd hurt yourself testing high carb foods as long as it's not on a regular basis. Aim for 1 test a week but don't be surprised if those foods with rice and other grains give you a big spike

jwags

I used a One Touch for about 3 years. it gave me higher bgs than then the Bayer Meter. I have heard Relion strips aren't super consistent and may read higher too. All meters are going to vary 10-20%, thst is just reality. So look for ranges, not specific numbers. Your bgs may act differently depending what you eat. Meals with fat and fiber will spike you much later than simple carbs.

kooka

Meters suck. Strips suck. Just stay on your plan. If your sugar goes to the roof or the pit your body will let you know. The A1C will be the true result of your WOE and if it's working for you.

meyery2k

Meters suck. Strips suck. Just stay on your plan. If your sugar goes to the roof or the pit your body will let you know. The A1C will be the true result of your WOE and if it's working for you.

WOE? - World of eating or WOE as in MISERY? lol...

predb4

i buy the cheapest meter possible.  the pack of 50 strips is $6.75 online and gets cheaper if you buy a bundle.  The meter with 100 strips, lancets and the lancet device costs $8.99.

So far it pretty much matches my a1c.  The clinics I go to use to test every patient, every visit.  so it cannot be bad.

It is the On call plus, and I buy it online.  The site below gave me a huge christmas coupon nd i bought one thousand one hundred strips.  i have three of these meter and have used them for nearly three years, changing the battery once a year.

http://expressdiabetic.com/index.php/diabetes-testing-supplies.html?brand=42

meyery2k

I used a One Touch for about 3 years. it gave me higher bgs than then the Bayer Meter. I have heard Relion strips aren't super consistent and may read higher too. All meters are going to vary 10-20%, thst is just reality. So look for ranges, not specific numbers. Your bgs may act differently depending what you eat. Meals with fat and fiber will spike you much later than simple carbs.

Jwags - Thank you for setting my mind at ease!  I was fretting a bit with all these different numbers.  So the reality is the blue strips might be close to what I am, the cheap strips might be close to what I am, or neither one is close.  Since I have been testing my fasting every AM with the blue strips, loggnig like the doctor asked, and have seen a tremendous downward trend from 291 to low 90's I know progress has been made.

For my testing, I should then consistently use cheap strips for the preprandial and postprandial readings.  If my pre is 78 and post goes to 128 (a 50 point rise) this would be an indication that this was not a good meal choice for me.  At this point my OCD would run to the blue strip to see what my "real" read but this is actually not relevant except for the fact I observed a significant rise.

Today I had some almonds, cheese, and pork rinds for a snack.  I tested at 78 pre and 82 about 100 minutes post so the relevant thing I can take from this is not that my BG stayed below 100 because I don't know that fact but that this snack has a minimal affect on my BG (a 5% rise).

At some point I will get some type of lab numbers and that might give me some idea of which strips are good assuming I test very shortly before or after the lab?

Again, please forgive my ignorance and I appreciate everyone's patience.  For me the only path to wisdom from ignorance is to ask questions... ~ Mike

Vilya

The only way to know how things affect you is to test them out in a controlled environment, so have at it!

I use the ReliOn Confirm, which I have tested against my lab work, and it's pretty accurate (I test myself right before they draw blood). The most accurate meter I've ever used is the Sidekick, which is also available at Walmart. It's a disposable meter that comes with 50 strips, for $20. I find it really handy as my "traveling" meter, since it's all contained in one unit. I tested that one against my labs a couple of times, and it was exactly the same as the lab number. I was very pleasantly surprised!

LarryD

.  .  . 

For my testing, I should then consistently use cheap strips for the preprandial and postprandial readings.  If my pre is 78 and post goes to 128 (a 50 point rise) this would be an indication that this was not a good meal choice for me.  At this point my OCD would run to the blue strip to see what my "real" read but this is actually not relevant except for the fact I observed a significant rise.

Exactly.  The rise or "spike" you get is what you want to work on lowering or logging for a particular meal.  Then you want to test in another hour to see if that spike is going back down.

It does you no good to run to the blue strip assuming that it is giving you a "real" number.  If you tested with a blue strip two or three times in a row they will all give you different numbers. 

meyery2k

OK - So today I made my first effort to correctly test and interpret a certain food I would like to reintroduce to my diet.

I used the cheap strips through out since it would be the trend to watch for vs. the number which I really don't know how relevant is to my "real number" at this time.

Maybe 10 minutes before eating I tested at 87.  I prepared a normal LC meal of items I normally eat and had the suggested serving of the test food which has a net carb of 16 IIRC).

I tested about 1 hour, 2 hours, and 3 hours after eating and read at 94, 84, and 76. 

My interpretation is that this did produce a small rise in BG which would be expected because I ate and this is how it works.  In hour 2, I was slightly less than pre meal, and at hour 3 I was significantly less than pre meal.  I understand there is a margin of error inherent in testing but these numbers did not seem too significant in one direction or the other.

So this would indicate, at this time, that this food and this quantity would be OK to have.  Is this correct?

Please don't laugh but should I then "rest" a day before experimenting with another food? 

I know it probably is too simple but I can't help but think there is a gotcha here... ~ Mike

Java

i'd say yup, it's safe to eat that again

why would you have to rest a day before trying a new food?

:hmmmm:

ETA:  when i was first dx'ed i, like everyone else, was testing all the time and keeping a food journal then as time went on i knew what i could have or how those foods affected me and that  the net carb thing makes no never mind to my BG ~ if the item says it has 20 carbs then my BG will rise at least 20 pts, so, anyways,  i got lax with testing and assumed that this would hold true to whatever i was eating, i.e.,my BG will rise at least 1 point per total carbs listed .....enter the quest bar (dbl choc chunk to be exact) showing 23 carbs ~ nom nom nom, what the heck i better test since it's a new food.........that sucker raised me over 60 points!  WHAAAATTTT?

so, don't assume like i did

double check by checking

:)

Fraser

With absolutely fabulous numbers like that I am not sure why you are doing all the testing?

Sorry Java girl there is a balance between testing and life. ; )

meyery2k

I am new to diabetes so I just thought one would take a break after a test No idea why I think that.

I am glad the numbers look good I worked so hard to get here and I don't want to blow it.

I started with a1c of 8 just a little over a month ago. It probably also helps that I don't eat 3000+ calories and God knows how much sugar and starch anymore

I have lost 20 pounds and am targeting 25 now.

I also exercise regularly

I eat better than ever before and don't plan to eat all that stuff I used to but there are a few things I would like to try and see

meyery2k

Fraser, Thank you It just seems so easy to mess up One night I ate 8 Oz of chicken because it was within my calorie and carb budget. The next morning I was 107 when I had been low 90s. Now I know anything could have caused that rise. One suggestion was that a large amount of protein at one time might cause a spike that is longer than sugar.

Watch your feet, don't get cuts, do this, don't do this It just seems any little thing CAN trip you up.

Now if I could just live on bacon, eggs, coffee, and mayonnaise I would be alright!

Fraser

Great response. )))))) it does get easier. I was dx with an A1c of 12.0 seven years ago. Now at 5.6 and my numbers are not as good as yours! Carry on you are doing great no need to freak out.

Kit

There is nothing wrong with testing frequently, especially at the start while you are learning and figuring out how your body reacts.  Its how we learn.

meyery2k

Kit - The trick will just be not to freak out when I find those foods that spike me!  I have to remember that diabetes is a disease of trends and a 1 one day spike is not the end.  Especially when I am trying a food out.

Kit

That comes with experience. :)

Plus, periodically you will get jumps like that with no obviously explanation as to why. For example, especially in the mornings. Look up dawn phenomena.

Fraser

Join us in the Morning Wake Up Reading thread. First readings set the tone of the day for me and you get to know some of themembers better

See you there.

meyery2k

I swear I am like a little kid at Christmas with this testing!  Yesterday was refried beans which worked out well.  Today I took the bull by the horns and tried some homemade chocolate.  My daughter's friend makes this stuff called "Peppermint Bark"  She somehow combines a slab of dark and white chocolate, puts some pulverized candy canes on top (my guess anyways) smashes it up into little pieces and gives small amounts of it to friends of which I am happily one!

This was given to me pre dx and, while I ate a couple small pieces over the past month, I never tried a full blown test.

I ate breakfast and eagerly waited until I tested below 90 again.  At 11 I tested at 89.  Had a 23g piece which is slightly larger than 1"x1" square and a glass of Almond Milk as a typical snack or dessert might be.  Of course I could have ate more but this was a satisfying and sensible amount of the candy.  At 12 I tested at 107 and at 1 tested at 94. 

So my observation is that this food and this quantity are "safe".  What I would NOT take from this is that it would be OK to just consume some random amount of this (especially in excess of 23 g).

I don't mean to make this more difficult than it needs to be but I surely thought I would see a bigger change.  The difference was larger than lunch yesterday with the beans which were 87/94/84.

I am not complaining by any means, just puzzled.  I realize this does not mean I do not have diabetes and must not go off track though.  It does illustrate that I can eat things as long as I test and understand what they will do to me.

To paraphrase 1Corinthians 10:23 "All things are allowed to me, but not all things are good for me."  Which has always been one of my favorites...

Any commentary would be appreciated.  I am cautiously happy with this result.  I do not, however, plan to use this as a license go on a carb fest by any means.  I have gained too much progress to go there. ~ Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.