Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Question about testing

Ela

Look, I'm not good at counting carbs and all that math.  However IMHO the common mantra that diabetics can't eat candy or sugar is WRONG.  I found that I in fact can eat candy and regular sweets, especially fatty creamy ones without a problem in LIMITED quantities.  I like to have a little candy every now and then and I don't need a lot, I always liked just a bit of sweet and since I started testing I practically NEVER saw a big BG increase after eating it.  Funny but some regular desserts like Delizza cream puffs don't raise my BG at all, but half an apple or some other fruit like peach or apricot does.  But if you think of it - fruits don't have any fat and little protein to reduce the spike.  Also all that "puff" in cream and even in dough is a lot of air, which fruits don't have. 

So we can basically eat anything in LIMITED QUANTITIES. For example my friend had gestational diabetes and dietitian told her that she can have a quarter of a regular potato in one sitting.  And that's what will work for most diabetics IMO.  What we CAN'T have is a regular size carb meal or side dish.  So I'm not surprised at all that your candy experiment ended up well - most of mine (if not all) are fine too.

JuliaDay2013

Small Cadbury Eggs. I allow myself 2-3 a day, spread way apart. So far so good. I'm actually losing the taste for them.

meyery2k

Small Cadbury Eggs. I allow myself 2-3 a day, spread way apart. So far so good. I'm actually losing the taste for them.

The funny thing is that I am not a big candy eater.  This peppermint bark this lady makes though is just so good!

One day I will play Russian roulette with a bacon maple donut from a bakery that makes them fresh. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.