Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kooka

Prescription pain cream

kooka

Ever use any? Off the shelf no longer works. I have the oxy and the gabapatin but I am not getting on that. Besides with the fda cracking down its a pain to get it. So now that it's not only my lower legs and feet and toes it's my hands,knees and the ankles feel crushed. Bummer!

So going to doc Friday and since I refused a lidocaine patch I thought maybe some pain cream for when I am active.....like walking. Lol. Non stinky cream. Ever used any and what kind was it?

Seagal

I used Salon Pas patches (otc) prior to my knee surgery and was pleased, I would apply 3-4 at a time.   The Salon Pas gel despite raving reviews was ineffective.  It just dawned on me that you would have to cover a lot of areas with these patches and they might not work.

I don't know of any analgesic cream that isn't stinky, maybe someone will pop in with one.

None of the stuff I used was prescription, but I have script for lidocaine patches, don't they make a lidocaine cream?

Sorry you are so miserable Kooka!

jwags

I have tried some of the sports creams for muscle pain and find they give not much relief. Are you sure your pain is from diabetic neuropathy? It seems your Bg control is excellent. Have you tried taking Tumeric to reduce inflammation,mit does help my arthritis. I also use the Great Lakes Collagen which does take the edge off pain from my arthritis so I can exercise.

notme

Gabapentin has NEVER worked for me. My doctor said that is the case for many people. The name brand works. Ask your doctor to write your prescription for name brand (Neurontin) only. I asked my pharmacist about this and she said this is true for many many people.

meyery2k

My wife had shoulder problems sometimes and swore by the Salonpas patches.  They have an odor but it is not too bad. ~ Mike

kooka

Name brands cost me out the butt so those are out and I would need a bag of patches. Lol I will ask about the lidocaine cream. As for the Caspian cream I heard it takes a while to get used to it. Kinda like the calm after the fire. I do have arthritis also and use turmeric and vinegar but not the mother vinegar. I'm allergic to proscription anti-inflamatories. I may buy some of that. At least my whole body is not going at once. My mouth still works good. Hahahaha

ran23

well, I have used Progesterone hormone cream for shoulder pains, hip pains.  (my tendinitis in my right elbow was fine then the pain was in my shoulder).  This is OTC or internet.   I have used  2000 mg 3.3 strength cream. about $25.00 out there.  

Ellsworth

I'm allergic to proscription anti-inflamatories.

In addition to turmeric (curcumin), you can use fish oil and krill oil. All three of these are strong anti-inflammatories. I have 1000mg caps & gelcaps of each, and I take all three at once. I first heard of this on Michael Eades MD blog years ago.

kooka

Well he gave me a script for Voltaren Gel. It was $57.50 for 100 grams and my insurance only paid $17.00. I put some on my ankles and it burned so bad made that Caspian cream feel like baby cream.

So I did get some vit. E and am using more turmeric. Made a big pot of anti-inflammatory soup today. Going to order some peppermint oil and oregano essential oils and see how that goes. Ugh

SueL4

What's your reason for not wanting lidocaine patches?  Is it cost?  I find them very effective for knee pain and there are many generics.

don1942

I have stiff, painful, tingly fingers. Apparently not rheumatism nor neuropothy. Probably nerve condition. Doc gave me a tube of prescription Arnicare (contains carbomer and sodium hydroxide). Provides some relief but not complete. It leaves on sticky residue.

kooka

Thanks Don I will look into it. Blood work came back and no inflammation which basically rules out RA. I know the neuropathy is in the lower legs but this thing with my ankles,knees and wrists is different. Plus I have tremors in one of my hands. He suggested a arthritis doctor but I really believe I need to go to a Neurologist.

BigMouithXXX

I take tramadol daily for chronic moderate pain.  It takes the edge off and sounds more powerful than what was mentioned.  Your body doesn't get used to it like the other narcotic pain killers.  It really isn't a narcotic but works a little bit in the same way. 

I would go the the rumatologist over the neurologist.  They tend to be very smart and this would be in their area.

kooka

I found this epsom salt with mint

Dr. Teals.I soaked in a bath with it and it eased up my leg and hand pain 75%. Just made some you keep in the fridge and use it for a rub. A cup of warm water with a handful of salts. I haven't tried it yet but I'm hopeful it works as good as the bath which calls for 2 cups and it's $7.99 a bag.

GrammaBear

The podiatrist I see ordered a pain cream from a local "compounding pharmacy".  It works quite well considering the fact that I prefer not to take any oral meds for  diabetic neuropathy until I absolutely have to.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.