Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Found some new things in the store...

meyery2k

I always enjoy puttering around the grocery store.  Even when I was younger, I wouldn't mind wandering the aisles looking at things and thinking my thoughts.

I went to buy 25 lbs. of rice to donate to the homeless shelter to celebrate my official visit to the doctor in which it was recognized I have lost, indeed, 25 lbs.  I am a member of a Rotary Club in Hilo and we have this thing called Happy Dollars during our meeting where we can donate money to the cause.  I am a non-conformist so I think food is as good as money.

In my adventures, I found a package of low carb tortillas that I am eager to try.  The ideas are just bouncing around in my head.  Will I make a breakfast wrap with meat, eggs, and cheese?  Will I just have cream cheese or peanut butter, both?  Will I make a quesadilla?  A tostada?  A supreme burrito with cauliflower rice, beans, protein, and cheese?  Fish tacos?  My head is spinning, I need to pull back and gather my thoughts!

I bought a tangelo which will be my next meal test.  I plan to try it as a mid meal snack with 1, 2, and 3 hour testing.

They had these little Haagen Dazs ice cream cups but, for now, too many calories and carbs.  Maybe as I lose more weight and if I can maintain good glucose.  I find I can do a lot with 1500-1700 calories but I am no miracle worker!

I also bought a bar of unsweetened chocolate just because it was on sale and had a low amount of carbs.  I have no clue what to do with this.  Have it in my coffee?  Mix it in with almond milk and stevia?  Try a piece with my tangelo since orange and chocolate can be a good combination?  Sprinkle stevia on it then eat it?  I have cream cheese, maybe something with that.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  I know I can do a lot with this chocolate. ~ Mike

dowling gram

I've given up on the dark chocolate bar and gone to a good cocoa. The bar just does not melt into a smooth consistancy like milk chocolate does and is too bitter to eat as is although some people do. It might work with sweetener on top or maybe you can come up with something else

Sobriquet

Personally, i am really boring with chocolate - i just started eating it plain, and have grown to like it. Particularly with coffee. It's like a mid-afternoon pick me up when everything is falling down (but i live in Germany, right now we have no sun, icy rain, and wind... which means that mid afternoon is sometimes super miserable).

Be careful with it though, it is high in calories (but low in carb) which means i sometimes eat too much of it, and the waistline will protest.

Regarding the tortillas - personally i would use them for things that are otherwise not possible - like quesadilla (but then, I love quesadillas!!). Peanut butter and cream cheese can be eaten with celery. Eggs and meat can be eaten on their own, or you can make an omelet (which is like a tortilla) and wrap the veg and meat in that...

I would also eat a tortilla later in the day, as breakfast for some of us is the highest carb sensitivity time.

But most importantly - congratulations on your weight loss!!!

predb4

i envy those who can eat peanut butter, it spikes me, and i have tried all the diff brands.

the tortillas, i would probably eat too much, but i used to make tortilla chips on the stove top, just enough for the appropriate portion size.  Iheat up a cast iron skillet with no oil in it and put the tortiall there,  wait untill it starts browning and flip to the other side,  leave a couple of minutes, the i turn off the fire and leave the tortilla there.  As the pan cools, the tortilla gets crisp, you break it up and you have chips.

as for the chocolate, search for sugar free chocolate truffles on the internet, there are many recipes around.

predb4

also, since you are a foodie, make sure you canvass the store for things that are in season or on sale.  you save on the food bill and get to try new vegetables.

Java

"looking at things and thinking my thoughts" ~ lol, love this

there are LOTS of great food to be had that are diabetic-friendly

have fun on your food journey!

hexex0
I also bought a bar of unsweetened chocolate just because it was on sale and had a low amount of carbs.  I have no clue what to do with this.  Have it in my coffee?  Mix it in with almond milk and stevia?  Try a piece with my tangelo since orange and chocolate can be a good combination?  Sprinkle stevia on it then eat it?  I have cream cheese, maybe something with that.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  I know I can do a lot with this chocolate. ~ Mike

Melt it on very low heat and slowly fold in heavy cream.  Whisk in coconut milk, vanilla, stevia, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt and an almost microscopic pinch of clove over the stove.  Enjoy creamy hot chocolate.  Sometimes I toss in a little cayanne pepper, but I'm strange like that.

meyery2k

hexex0 - Hot pepper and chocolate is a great combo.  There is a candy store that makes chocolate and flavors with Hawaiian chili peppers.  These peppers are small red one with quite a bit of heat (similar to a Thai pepper I think). 

They just do magic with this and it would dance on the tongue with heat very briefly and just have a wonderful flavor.

Not strange at all. :)

carfree

I like your motivation to try new things. I grind up unsweetened chocolate in the blender (saving the extra for later-a little goes a long way) and then mix with nuts, coconut, flax, and nut or seed butter with a little stevia. It makes a granola bar in a bowl treat. It's not low cal though. A little chocolate melted with a few chopped nuts and sweetener, placed in the bottom of a muffin paper, then cooled, creates a little crust for a light chocolate mousse or sugar free pudding. I rather adore chocolate, if you can't tell. Congrats on the weight loss. What a great idea to symbolize your success.

meyery2k

@carfree - Thank you.  If I wasn't willing to try new things, I would just slowly continue to deteriorate, lol...

Even before dx, I would look forward to trying new foods.  I recently had antelope meat and it was quite good.

That chocolate will be put to good use, I promise! 

Seagal

chocolate, coconut oil, sea salt, sweetner of choice, cream all melty, creamy and either spread thin on a cookie sheet or put into one of those silicone candy molds that hold about 1T.  

A simple version of fat bombs.  Google fat bombs and see all the variations.

Meyery, sure do like reading of your continued enthusiasm with managing your b.g.!

Ela

Here is a recipe for Chocolate Molten Lava Cake where you can use your chocolate. http://holisticallyengineered.com/2013/02/chocolate-molten-lava-cake-low-carb.html It's recommended for Valentine's day, but I'm sure you can make it any other day too.  It's on my list to try, but didn't do it yet.

I make my sugar free chocolate with cocoa:

Coconut oil, cocoa, Truvia, bit of heavy cream all melted together and poured in ice cube tray.  You can make it with melted unsweetened chocolate instead. 

Another version (vegan): Coconut oil, chunky peanut butter, sweetener and melted chocolate (and/or cocoa) poured into ice tray.  It comes out pretty good too.  This one is especially good with unsweetened chocolate and not cocoa.

I'm curious, how that tangelo worked for you?

meyery2k

Ela - The tangelo, thank you for asking.  I am pleased to report that it did not seem to be worse than eating in general.  Pre 1/2/3/ were 90 104/103/97.  I ate it with breakfast.  So I think tangerines will be OK too which I plan to test at sometime.

One area my doctor and I don't agree is that, and I am not sure why, I don't need to test so much but concentrate on what I eat (quality of food) and quantity.  Maybe he knows something I don't and I am not sure what to ask.  Maybe I am making plenty of insulin but just wasn't using it before I made some changes.  We are on board about diet.  He did not scoff when I explained my reasons for cutting simple starches out and was actually nodding vigorously when I explained about zucchini, kale, and cauliflower being me new best food friends.  I have a sneaking suspicion he is a LC in the closet (heh, heh, heh).

All I know is my common sense tells me I have diabetes and, although it is well controlled at this moment, I didn't go to not having it.  I don't see where testing with obviously high carb foods hurts (except for the fingers!) and I think it is foolish to live in ignorance when, with a little extra effort, I don't have to.  This is one area where I think I will defer to the earned wisdom on these forums.  I picked up a Relion meter and a bunch of cheap strips.  It read fairly close to the One Touch (within 5 points) and I really would use it to watch the trend rather than depend on the number.

It is not something I can eat a whole lot of right now anyway since it takes away from things that keep me full but they are a nice thing once in a while.

Esox

I love the grocery store, too, and I love when the good stuff is on sale.

I love to cook. And I love to eat. I used to love it too much, and that is one of the main reasons I'm a member of a couple diabetes forums. My T2 condition has forced me to be creative in the kitchen in different ways. But I still love a classic simple meal. It's been a few weeks since the better half and I have had a steak. So I told her last night, "Tomorrow night we're having a salad, a steak, and some asparagus." It would be great to add some hashed browns, or a double baked to that list, but you know how that goes.

So last night I'm browsing the online grocery fliers hoping for something to catch my eye. We have a nearby specialty grocer, The Fresh Market. It's a national chain, but the sell great quality meats and seafood. Produce is great, too, but pricey. They always have some decent weekend deals. Today they were selling PRIME, oh sorry about the yelling, NY Strips for $9.99 a pound, like a savings of $8.00 or $10,00 a pound. So I was all over that. At another store I got a deal on some organic mixed greens, baby, spinach, and romaines. A bag of three romaine hearts for $0.99! Some local stores that's $3.50 or more. A couple days ago I bought a nice Danish blue for about $7.00 a pound which was a great deal, and bought some asparagus for $1.49 a pound.

So tonight it's salad with the greens, spinach, romaine, tomatoes, scallions, radish, diced bacon, boiled egg, chives, and blue cheese crumbles, a medium rare Strip with sauteed mushrooms, and some buttered, steamed asparagus.

If you have a The Fresh Market in your area, and haven't checked it out, they always have some nice specials every week. Good deals on shrimp and cod, heck, today they had ahi tuna for $7.99 a pound down from $14.99. On Tuesday they sell fantastic ground chuck, they grind it like every hour, and boneless, skinless, antibiotic/hormone free chicken breasts for $2.99 a pound. The stuff is fantastic. I buy the Tortilla Factory low carb, high fiber tortillas there. They're good size and one has 18 carbs, but 12 grams of fiber. 

meyery2k

Sadly, we do not have this store.  We have a wonderful Farmer's Market where, every Wednesday and Saturday, there is an abundance of fresh produce.  While many of the fruits, and vegetables that can grow well in a tropical climate, are actually "from the ground", many things are cast-offs from the produce distributor.  If you look though, there are bargains.  Today I picked up a 3# cauliflower for $4.  At the grocer cauliflower sells for $4/lb.  Of course the one I have is not as pretty as the one in the grocer but once I scrub it up and do whatever I do to it, it will be fine.

I also lurk at the area of the meat section in the grocer where they have the meat that has to be sold that day.  I buy what looks good and either cook it that day or freeze it for another time.  I can often score some quality steaks there where I pay what I SHOULD pay lol...

Funny thing about marketing though.  My daughter commented that the meat looked weird.  I explained how they use dye and carbon monoxide to make it look red and "fresh" but there is nothing wrong with that meat.  You have eaten all the time and never had a problem.  She now "lurks" there too...

Esox

What I like about the The Fresh Market is the meat is fresh.  On the ground chuck special day you can see them grinding it, and they have a little clock on the case telling when the chuck in the case was ground.  Today there was no tray for the strips in the case, and when I asked, the young lady said it would be just a few minutes and pointed at the butcher behind the glass slashing them up off the full loin.  Occasionally they will sell half or whole loins for like $5.99 a pound, not the prime though, and then will cut it into whatever thickness steaks you want.  I haven't done that in a while, however, because I'm trying to keep the steak intake down a little.  I'd rather not freeze them anyway.  We also have a little butcher/smokehouse shop that cuts steaks, chops, and whatnot to order.  A little pricier, but still a good value.  You should see some of the porterhouse and ribeyes I used to eat from there back in my 300 pound days.  Oh, boy, how I've changed.

predb4

One area my doctor and I don't agree is that, and I am not sure why, I don't need to test so much but concentrate on what I eat (quality of food) and quantity.  Maybe he knows something I don't and I am not sure what to ask.  

maybe you know something the doctor doesn't.  ask him if you may help him.

meyery2k

I mentioned this forum and, again, he didn't scoff at it and actually commented in agreement that this was a good idea.  I mentioned how it would be mentioned that someone would eat an orange, for example, and spike to 180 or even higher.  He said this does happen but based on "my numbers" I don't really need to worry about that so much as continuing to lose weight, eat sensibly, and exercise.

He doesn't discourage me testing.  He did say if it gives me peace of mind that he would rather that I test but he also commented that my finger would be a little more sore and my wallet a little bit lighter and that I would find that I don't really need to do it.

Please understand that I am not trying to argue the wisdom either way, I am just trying to understand it.  He seems knowledgeable enough and he used to work at a clinic for lower income patients.  He has been commended for his abilities and work in the community.  I am sure he is not the greatest doctor in the world mind you but he seems to know his stuff.  I know he must have seen a lot of diabetes since many of his patients would be Pacific Islanders and Native Hawaiians which have a high prevalence of T2 within their respective groups.

I base my opinion on how quick I got back on track after seeing hm.  He tried putting me on just 1 BP med at first but that wasn't cutting it so he prescribed a 2nd and both seem to do the trick.  He is already asking if I want to try cutting off the Metformin so I suppose that tells me he is not of the school that you have to take medicine for everything.  He doesn't show derision towards any of the advice I was given or refute it in anyway.

He commented that at my initial dx my numbers weren't too bad but that I have diabetes and I need to start working on it right now.

I must be making insulin or my 1AC would not have come down.  He did say that I make insulin but my body is not using it but, as my pancreas gets older, the insulin production might decrease.

To be honest, looking at all the carbs and sugars I used to consume my pancreas probably is happy for the "vacation".  Maybe if I have lost fat in my body, my organs have lost fat too and they work a little better.

Vilya once said it best, diabetes sure messes with your head!

Too much thinking for me, time for a glass of wine!

Ela

Cheers!  :beer:  :cheers:

As for your doctor already trying to get you off Met - that is very common.  They'd prescribe you tons of other medications for this and that "protection"  and just "because you're diabetic" and you supposed to take them all for life.  It would be statins, BP medication, whatever else, but NOT Metformin!   Some people have to BEG their doctors for Met or sometimes ANY diabetic medication and some doctors REFUSE to give it to them because their A1C is not over 7 or something!  It baffled me for years.  Finally, some smart member (Naestadt?)  explained it to me: it's because our diabetes is not a real disease, it's just we are FAT and brought it on ourselves and once we lose weight, we should be cured!  Eureka! 

Honestly I can't stand all that talk about weight loss anymore!  :angry: It WON'T cure your diabetes, trust me on this.  I lost 30 lbs at first, but gained back gradually about 8.  Is my control worse because I gained weight?  NO, it is NOT.  (knock on the wood though).  Ok, I'm off my high horse, it's just all that weight and fat talk started to get to me.

meyery2k

Ela - I understand what you are saying.  Again, my doctor is no saint or probably even world class but again, he does work with a lot of VERY obese people which is common in people of Pacific Island ancestry.  He seems to be mostly right for me.

I feel fortunate now because he gave me the choice.  He explained that Metformin was probably helping with my weight loss since it acts as a mild appetite suppressant.  He said we would stay the course for 6 weeks, check A1C and weight loss and see where we are.  When I said no to stopping, I got the feeling that I made a good decision although he would have supported backing off the Metformin if I wanted to.  He seems to hate pills because he actually said he was sorry I walked in taking no pills and left taking 6 a day.

Believe it or not, he has not really pushed me very hard to lose weight.  He suggested losing 5% of my starting weight when I was first diagnosed because there appears to be significant improvement in BG control and BP.  He actually commented, "Wow! You have lost 25 pounds!  How did you do that?  You are not starving yourself are you?"  We talked about what I have done as far as eating better and exercise and he commented that was remarkable.  He seems, to me anyway, neutral about LC.  But his eyes lit up when I mentioned kale, cauliflower, and zucchini as my new go to foods so who knows?  He actually advised me where to get the best kale.  He said if I can stick with this long term, it will work.  He said any diet was like that. 

Another statement that surprised me was he said I might even want to look at upping my calories when (I guess he expects success now) I lose another 30 or 40 lbs.  He says I will probably feel more energetic since I am not carrying all that weight anymore and will need some extra calories to sustain that.  I have no idea if he is right or not but he has helped me get this far in a short period of time.

He also explained that just being fat did not cause diabetes by itself but he believes it can aggravate it.  He made it very clear that he and I will always need to consider that I have diabetes whether it is well controlled or not.

Of course, it is easy to talk big when enjoying success.  I may very well "fall off the wagon" as it were being human.  I think right now can be a dangerous time because my food tests did not show any bad things eating tangelo (a citrus) and starfruit.

I am so pleased you lost a net of 22 lbs!  That should be a win in anyone's book!  Another surprise my doctor had was that my body would find the right weight to be and we really don't know what this is right now.  No stern "you should be between 150 and 175 pounds!" when I asked him where I should be.  I admire that he considers that everyone is different and might not necessarily fall within the "norms".  He said I might be a very happy 200 pound guy and he would not push for more loss as an example.  He said my body would let us know.

As for me, I was and am obese.  I don't want to be obese anymore because I have realized I don't have to be.  I do not regret doing the things that got me there.  I enjoyed many fine meals, fast food blowouts, fun with friends and family.  I have eaten double banana split challenges, 1 and 2 pound burger challenges with friends and had a blast!  I will never judge anyone for being overweight.  I will never assume they are overweight because they choose to be since there are many reasons people are overweight.  I am overweight because I chose to be and I accept that but not everyone is me.  I already have people asking me how I did it and I give my story with compassion because I know that what is working for me will not work for everyone.  If it did, someone smarter than me would have figured it out, and there would be no obesity.

I do understand your "rant" though because as a society we are obsessed with being thin and young and it makes things ugly sometimes. ~ Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.