Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Wash those hands well!!!

meyery2k

I am sure the veterans will laugh.  I made lunch with a low carb tortilla which I wanted to test.  I made a salad of, jicama, green beans, and kale.

Before testing, I washed my hands cursorily and tested at 109!  I usually test from the high 70's to low 80's before lunch. 

I thought a bit and read somewhere that a high reading can be obtained after handling fruit and not washing hands well.  Jicama, while not a fruit exactly, could be though to have some fruit like characteristics since it is a bit juicy.

I thoroughly washed and dried my hands and retested at 78.

Another great reason to test during the day and understand how you work....

predb4

i cannot laugh.  I remembered eating blueberries and then testing at 254.  washed the hand, number came down.

nowadays i no longer eat blueberries.  those were the days.

Uff Da

I recall one time I tested and got a number over 400. I knew that was totally off base from what it should be. So I washed and got a normal level reading. Then I realized that I had eaten a few raisins earlier. Either I'd forgotten to wash my hands afterward or had not done so adequately.

But there have been a couple of times when my number was just mildly elevated, but enough different from the expected level that I re-washed and re-tested to get a lower number, perhaps just 10 or 20 points lower. Who knows what I might have touched between washing and my test. The bathroom doorknob? Something on my desk? After something like that happens I usually clean and sterilize my glucometer and lancing device, too, as I could well have gotten small amounts of some sugary substance on them.

Bishop

This reminds me of a relatively minor challenge when traveling and wanting to take a BG measurement during a time when I cannot wash my hands.  I figure the alcohol or even non-alcohol sanitize wipes are great for germs, but don't think they clear sugar residue.  Read that somewhere.  Plus there's the usual statements about how alcohol dries fingers out, hurts more, and so on -- but I'm more concerned with accuracy after eating something with sugar and my hands and wanting to take a reading.

Not sure if there are any off the shelf wipes which work well here.

<shrug>

Fraser

I carry an alcohol wipe straight from the drug store. Never had a problem with the cleaning part, but you need to make sure

That all the alcohol is evaporated, Check your meter instructions some meters don't read right if some alcohol is left.

I did call one touch and as long as it has evaporated and your finger is dry a one touch meter is ok.

Beware some prepackaged wipes have a lot more alcohol in the pack, takes a while to dry. (

Fraser

I do admit I live San Fransico, let's just say not the cleanest place, I walk down city streets, use buses and subway, , hike out doors, no auto bubble or pristine malls. Also not impressed with public restrooms to wash up in. I think about all the other people or dogs that have touched what I have touched.

I will stick with the pre packaged alcohol wipes. )

comedy

I keep the isopropyl medical wipes in my meter pack for travelling, but never use them at home. And I am careful about washing my hands properly and using paper towels to wipe them at home. I even keep a handwash dispenser  in the kitchen that has a supermarket handwash in it because the one I normally use gives me a higher reading (must have a skin moisturiser in it). I reckon if I go to the trouble of poking a hole in my finger, I might as well be sure I get an accurate result. :)

ant hill

I am one of those who should whash hands more as then I find some suspicious tests too.

jwags

I use to use the Alcholol wipes but they dry my skin way too much. Often if I am hiking in the mountains, I just lick my finger to clean and it works pretty well. I find I get hige error readings after cleaning even if I wash my hands. I often get extreme lows. I think residue from my cleaning products is to blame. I mainly use vinegar and Dr Bronners Castile soap. I like to use my pinkies to test because you usually don't handle food with them.

Seagal

I can get that kind of variation from my freshly washed right or left hand.  I hate my new verioIQ meter with a passion.

ant hill

Aww I can be guilty of not clean the hands as then I have to retest to see that's right.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.