Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Starfruit - aka Carambola

meyery2k

This is a fruit I have never seen outside of Hawaii although I suppose it might be found in Florida or tropical area.

Appears to be very diabetes friendly at 6 grams of carbs, 2.5 of which are fiber.

Also diet friendly at only 28 calories a serving.

When you cut them up, they look like stars on the plate, hence the name.

Nice refreshing flavor on a hot day.

The only drawback is they are not too friendly to people with kidney problems.

If you ever see these, you might enjoy them!  They are a favorite of mine and I am happy that they will fit into my LC!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carambola

adiantum

I've seen them in our stores & had them in a salad at a restaurant .

Not something I'd order nor buy again ,  but they do look attractive on the plate

comedy

We call them five corner fruit here and you can get them at some of the roadside stalls, or you used to be able to; but of course I don't stop at those any more. :)

predb4

i used to see them as a child, but only tried once and found it bitter, so never tried again.

it is a favorite in southeast asia, i think.

meyery2k

We have them here in all the markets. What do they taste like???

Hopefully not chicken!

No - not chicken!!!

Find ones that are greenish-yellow.  Apparently, however, they will not produce any more sugar after being picked so if picked early they will not be as sweet even if allowed to sit and change color.  Apparently they just get mushier as they ripen after picking.

I would describe it as a bit of a tart sweet taste but not overly so either way.  Nice consistency as it is a fairly firm fleshed fruit.  They are particularly refreshing on a hot day.

If I could compare to a wine as a reference, almost like a Pinot Grigio type of experience.

Cut them crosswise and they look like stars.  Kids here love them!

notme

Oh I love star fruit when I can find it. I first had it in South Africa and then later found it here at home in Whole Foods. It is tart and sweet at the same time. Sort of a sweet pineapple, kiwi, citrus flavor. Delicious.

Sobriquet

I remember it from Australia - we don't have it here, although the little fruit and veg shop near us just started selling dragon fruit (yuck) and jack fruit - which is just completely random. I mean, we're on winter fruit & veg in Germany, which means kale, potatoes, apples and the occasional pumpkin - and then suddenly - dragon fruit.

It's like finding a Thai restaurant at Oktoberfest. :)

adiantum

Oooooh how high on the yuk scoreboard is  dragon fruit ?

I bought 2 plants hoping they'd grow better then they are, but if they score high on the yuk, then I'll let them continue to  struggle.

Orlando

Oooooh how high on the yuk scoreboard is  dragon fruit ?

I bought 2 plants hoping they'd grow better then they are, but if they score high on the yuk, then I'll let them continue to  struggle.

I ate them in Thialand and China and liked them very much.

I bet it's not as high on the yuk scoreboard as durian. That stuff is even banned from Hotels in Bangkok.

Durian tastes great, they just "stink" a little.

meyery2k

My daughter and I have always been keen on dragon fruit.  They are just usually too expensive even at the Farmer's Market.

Sobriquet

I just found it... really really bland - not durian level yuck, that is a whole new level of wah-hey - but not my kind of thing. Maybe if you are growing them at home they will taste better - i think the ones i have tried have been picked too soon.

They are kind custard apple-like, and i was never a huge fan of that either. i could live entirely on just about every other fruit there is, but not those ones.

They (dragon fruit) are very pretty though!

adiantum

I love Custard Apples  & would often buy one for myself &   for an  old friend.

This dear old friend was an expert in self discipline & would never splurge  by buying herself a custard apple.

She would admire them in the stores when I took her shopping, & tell me of the days when they were almost free when she lived in Queensland, then sadly walk away from the display.

She was incredibly wealthy but still would not spend $2 on a custard apple. She died at 74yrs old & left millions to her ungrateful son.

I can only relate it to those of us born before & after the war. She had known tougher times then I had.

I just found it... really really bland - not durian level yuck, that is a whole new level of wah-hey - but not my kind of thing. Maybe if you are growing them at home they will taste better - i think the ones i have tried have been picked too soon.

They are kind custard apple-like, and i was never a huge fan of that either. i could live entirely on just about every other fruit there is, but not those ones.

They (dragon fruit) are very pretty though!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.