Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kooka

A question for those taking magnesium

kooka

Can't afford Calm so I started the pills today. I must say they cause a lot of stomach distress. Gas and cramps. Not good. Which brand is nicer to the tummy?

Cora

I suspect that brand won't make much of a difference. Magnesium is used as a laxative so if you need to take it, it's most likely going to make you run.

Uff Da

My cardiologist wanted me to take magnesium to counteract problems with my statin. But he specifically wanted me to take one called Slow-Mag. The pill contains a combination of magnesium chloride and calcium carbonate. The calcium (which alone often causes one to be constipated) counteracts the opposite effect which is common with magnesium taken alone. The dose of each isn't large, though. A "serving" of two pills provides 238 mg calcium and 143 mg magnesium, just 24% and 36% of daily values. I end up taking four a day - when I remember, now that I have osteoporosis and need more calcium, too. And the combination of magnesium with the calcium is supposed to help prevent too much supplemental calcium ending up in the arteries instead of the bones.

The promotional literature on the product states that "The enteric coating allows Slow-Mag to pass through the gastric juices of the stomach unchanged to reduce the chance of stomach upset." I haven't had any problem with it as far as stomach upset or digestive problems otherwise. One disadvantage of this pill is that I can't put them in my weekly pill minder or they get mushy. One has to keep them with a desiccant until shortly before use.

CandaceV

My husband uses Doctor's Best brand of magnesium glycinate available on Amazon, no gas, cramps or runs.  I use magnesium citrate due to chronic constipation.

kooka

I don't have the runs just cramps and gas. The doc called last night and said to cut the pill in half and take in the a.m. and the p.m. I will try your suggestions. I also read about the calcium balance so will look into those. Thanks all.

jwags

I take a brand called Country Life Chelated magnesium. I get it at Swansons Vitamins online. I take it at night right before bed. I think mine are 250 mg. Another good way to get magnesium is to soak in an Epsom Salt bath at night. Also try eating foods high in magnesium like almonds and black beans.

http://draxe.com/magnesium-deficient-top-10-magnesium-rich-foods-must-eating/

kayell

Magnesium oxide is dreadful; it's cheap but poorly absorbed. Probably want to avoid that one. Most people have to gradually build up their magnesium dose to avoid discomfort and possible unpleasantness. I get a magnesium citrate powder that is pretty much the same as Calm, but cheaper.

To jwags list of food add greens, lots of leafy greens. They're packed full of Mg.

georgepds

From what I understand, you can apply the magnesium like a lotion too.. might help with the stomach distress

There are several magnesium lotions on amazon

jwags

I put Epsom salts in my bath at night. the magnesium soaks in through my skin. I also eat lots of dark greens, almond butter and almon flour and greek yogurt..

kooka

Okay added all that to my store list for next week. I found a recipe to make your own epsom salts cream on pinterest and thought I might try making some of that too. I did read the krill oil is excellent for the body so that is also on my list.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.